Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Musk said he’d create a new mobile phone if Apple dropped Twitter. Must be amazing to be that rich and it not sound completely ridiculous.

Remind me how Pixel sales are going :D 

Last year they sold 4.5m IPhones sold 230m

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

How would Musk destroy Apple? He has little or no hold over them, they do have a hold over Twitter.

Musk is not one of the most powerful men on the planet. He's a rich investor that makes Jeff Bezos seem cuddly.

Easy he influences alot of what happens today. He can just say something and hia followers would stop using apple. He could not use apple for anything with all his investments.  Apple hold the control over the apps yes but musk can do a lot of damage to them as well. Apple was taken to court by the people who own fortnite because of the way they do things. All he has to do is get together with massive companies like this and cause apple problems

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Easy he influences alot of what happens today. He can just say something and hia followers would stop using apple. He could not use apple for anything with all his investments.  Apple hold the control over the apps yes but musk can do a lot of damage to them as well. Apple was taken to court by the people who own fortnite because of the way they do things. All he has to do is get together with massive companies like this and cause apple problems

Apple won 9 out of the 10 counts and Epic had to pay a big chunk of Apple's costs

Musk is rapidly becoming a laughing stock with many of the influential people that used to hang on his every word.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There are over 1bn iPhone users in the world. What % of them do you think are Musk worshippers (to the point they'll stop using iPhone under Musk's orders)? I'd guess <5%, probably <1%.

And they're well within their rights to do this because Musk has removed all the legal / compliance teams at Twitter and is walking into a massive fight with the EU over GDPR etc. He doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

In the unlikely event Musk wanted to hurt Apple with competition I assume he’d create/invest in a new OS like Android and offer it to handset manufacturers like Android (Google) do.

With what money? If Apple toilets Twitter he'll be considerably out of pocket. If he seeks investors, I don't think 'I'm doing it to spite apple' will be much comfort to those investing, when they could just support android platforms not headed by a nutcase instead. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

In the unlikely event Musk wanted to hurt Apple with competition I assume he’d create/invest in a new OS like Android and offer it to handset manufacturers like Android (Google) do.

That would hurt Apple's competition like er Google :D 

Does he really want to pick a fight with Google too :D :D  :D 

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

With what money? If Apple toilets Twitter he'll be considerably out of pocket. If he seeks investors, I don't think 'I'm doing it to spite apple' will be much comfort to those investing, when they could just support android platforms not headed by a nutcase instead. 

He could flog some more Tesla shares and throw one of his many remaining billions at it to see.

He doesn’t need investors, he’s the richest man in the world.

26 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

There are over 1bn iPhone users in the world. What % of them do you think are Musk worshippers (to the point they'll stop using iPhone under Musk's orders)? I'd guess <5%, probably <1%.

And they're well within their rights to do this because Musk has removed all the legal / compliance teams at Twitter and is walking into a massive fight with the EU over GDPR etc. He doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

As if to illustrate this point, I saw this tweet whilst looking at something completely different

That account is of a Joe Roganesque Youtuber and RWNutter, she has half a million followers. Given that very small (relatively) subset of the human race that follower her only 20k have liked or retweeted it in the best part of a day. Then you reduce that further to the amount that would also follow through with "the threat", its absolutely miniscule. These people think they hold power in they liitle tweets, they don't. They are amplified no-ones. I think your <1% is an exaggeration ;) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

As if to illustrate this point, I saw this tweet whilst looking at something completely different

That account is of a Joe Roganesque Youtuber and RWNutter, she has half a million followers. Given that very small (relatively) subset of the human race that follower her only 20k have liked or retweeted it in the best part of a day. Then you reduce that further to the amount that would also follow through with "the threat", its absolutely miniscule. These people think they hold power in they liitle tweets, they don't. They are amplified no-ones. I think your <1% is an exaggeration ;) 

Aren't all those guys already off twitter anyway, and on Trumps hateiverse.

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would hurt Apple's competition like er Google :D 

Does he really want to pick a fight with Google too :D :D  :D 

Bicks, you are living in a rational world. One where reason and sense prevail. Elon lives elsewhere, as evidenced by his actions since the purchase of the bird app. I could totally see him pouring more of his money into such a doomed escapade and I’ll be watching with anticipation for the inevitable horror show. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think you underestimate the influence musk has. Yes he has haters but the guys got more money than any individual he can cause apple some massive problems.

Even if its not in their iphone usage im sure he can come up with other ways to compete with apple.

For every billion you claim they ahve their are billions who dont use them

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

He doesn’t need investors, he’s the richest man in the world.

A man that can gain almost $200bn in net worth in two years can lose it just as quickly

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

He could flog some more Tesla shares and throw one of his many remaining billions at it to see.

Worth half of what they were at their peak

I'm having Elon in The Deadpool next year. 

I think he's close to the edge generally and he could well be pissing away a huge chunk of his fortune. 

Tesla seems to have lost its edge on many competitors and people are realising they're not built well. 

I can see it all falling apart. 

There won't even be cars whizzing around under LA on giant rollerskates either. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

The stock market is getting off the Musk hype train more and more with every day he runs Twitter into the ground. Tesla's valuation was never based on sanity, and he's really ramming that home.

Just wait until the shareholder class action lawsuits start. That's going to be great fun.

Â