Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

Musk using his Twitter control to try and hide critical articles about Tesla. 

n the review Glimmern pris, Aftonbladet reveals how child labor in mines in Madagascar can be linked to Tesla.

Now X, which is owned by Tesla founder Elon Musk, has provided the article with a warning.

In a report, Aftonbladet told about how children mine mica in mines in Madagascar. The mineral is important in the production of electric car batteries and demand has increased fivefold in ten years.

Around 11,000 children are estimated to be exploited in the mines where the mica is mined.

In a follow-up article, Aftonbladet reveals Tesla's connection to the child mines. The electric car giant's factories in the United States have received 51 shipments of mica products from two of the Chinese companies, Glory Mica and Pamica, which buy the mineral from the mines.

The article has been shared on platform X. But whoever clicks on the link does not go directly to Aftonbladet, but is instead greeted by a warning message that the link may be unsafe.

It is not clear exactly why the article is being warned. But the content may, according to the message, be spammy, violent or misleading to people or otherwise violate X's rules.The link is also hidden in the feed as potentially sensitive content.The article about the mica in which Tesla is not mentioned, however, is not provided with any warning message.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/76rPL3/x-varning-efter-granskning-om-glimmer

This sort of open, real time, complete lack of fact checking 24/7 way of the world is honestly so damaging.

Poland's new government finally got into power, and one of the pledges they made was to depoliticize our version of the BBC, as in the last 8 years it was turned into North Korea esque fragrant propaganda.

So they have a vote, pass it, sack the management, and the previous government lose their shit, storm the building, refuse to leave, call the police.

Of course now, on right wing Twitter, it's been picked up as 'Tusk shuts down media critical of him' despite everybody in Poland not giving a shit because 

1) this is what we voted for

2) everyone knew this was going to happen

Even Farage is on it now. Pisses me off so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is a wake up call for national and local governments, quangos, and any other organisations delivering non-trivial messages to stop relying on Twitter and explore more reliable and open platforms for critical comms.

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/japanese-disaster-prevention-x-account-cant-post-anymore-after-hitting-api-limit-2451266/

Japanese disaster prevention app NERV can’t post after reaching X’s API limitation. The issue has arisen after major Tsunami warnings have been issued in areas of Japan following a strong earthquake.

Now, the app is facing significant API rate limitations due to new policies put forward under Elon Musk’s ownership of the platform. It can no longer post updates to its combined following of over two million users.

According to Unseen Japan, NERV is under X’s “Basic” API plan, where it can post 100 posts in 24 hours. This costs around $100, while the next step up requires users to pay around $5000 a month for usage of its API. Due to NERV running at a loss, the company has chosen not to subscribe to the higher tier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I hope this is a wake up call for national and local governments, quangos, and any other organisations delivering non-trivial messages to stop relying on Twitter and explore more reliable and open platforms for critical comms.

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/japanese-disaster-prevention-x-account-cant-post-anymore-after-hitting-api-limit-2451266/

I am not sure I have a big issue with X here. There is a cost structure in place to use the product (mainly to stop bot spamming) and the problem seems to be that they are not able to pay. The article says they are using the free Mastodon app as well but clearly that is an inferior product.

It might turn out that X gives them a free unlimited account for PR reasons. 

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

A government should not be relying on twitter to inform their citizens of a natural disaster. 

Even our Government are not that stupid

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Even our Government are not that stupid

Even the Japanese government isn’t. NERV is an app, the information is available in the app, it just posts to Twitter as an extra. The alerts come through the app anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Even the Japanese government isn’t. NERV is an app, the information is available in the app, it just posts to Twitter as an extra. The alerts come through the app anyway

The problem comes when people see this being posted there and come to rely on it, thinking "why bother with their website, or their app, it's on Twitter".

As I meant to reply to @LondonLax (then forgot :) ) I don't have an issue with the platform formerly known as Twitter, it's up to them how they monetise, but I do think it should be a wake up call to be migrating away from it for important updates particularly for public organisations.

As an example my local council has a twitter feed for "emergency planning" which provides updates on floods, road closures, weather alerts, etc. I'd hope they're not paying £60,000 a year for is when they're bankrupt, which means they're limited to the free tier, meaning if shit does kick off they might find themselves rate limited. They probably have other avenues to publish information, but they push people towards Twitter which seems madness at the moment.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The problem comes when people see this being posted there and come to rely on it, thinking "why bother with their website, or their app, it's on Twitter".

As I meant to reply to @LondonLax (then forgot :) ) I don't have an issue with the platform formerly known as Twitter, it's up to them how they monetise, but I do think it should be a wake up call to be migrating away from it for important updates particularly for public organisations.

As an example my local council has a twitter feed for "emergency planning" which provides updates on floods, road closures, weather alerts, etc. I'd hope they're not paying £60,000 a year for is when they're bankrupt, which means they're limited to the free tier, meaning if shit does kick off they might find themselves rate limited. They probably have other avenues to publish information, but they push people towards Twitter which seems madness at the moment.

I agree with that, I was just pointing out that the Japanese warning system didn't collapse because of Twitter, which if you read some of the posts above you might have that impression

• 2 months later...

I watched the Don Lemon interview of Elon and it was actually nice to see an interviewer not pull punches with the interviewee for once.  So sick of these softball interviews with people generally that whether you are onside with Don or Elon I think these adversarial interviews are needed more in society because too many people offer their view with no need to defend it.

Also interested in reading all the reaction to it, the right backing Elon and the left backing Don…the only person that gets more reaction is Trump.

Â