Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

Guardian journo doesn't understand the rules

But Villa will argue they were denied a winner when the substitute Philippe Coutinho sent a shot crashing in off the crossbar, after the referee Simon Hooper had already blown his whistle because the assistant referee Adrian Holmes raised his flag for offside

They are doing what they can to hush it up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

I think he blew it because he considered the goal scoring chance to have gone. And he'll have regretted that within a second. 

That’s so frustrating.

Can you also explain why Cash was giving a yellow for “leaving the field of play?” Or whatever that call was.

“No one outside Villa gave us a chance, of course our supporters will have” 

Didn't see the shameful comments from a few pre match then.

9 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I've no idea how one game has made everyone happy for him to have the next game. We often get called a fickle fan base and I never saw why until today. 

30-odd games of complete tactical ineptitude. He got it right today, accidentally I'd imagine, and suddenly were deciding his fate on a game by game basis? Not for me. I'll enjoy a good result, but he needs to go. 

If that turned out to be his last game I wouldn’t shed any tears.

My view is really more influenced on what I think will happen, rather than what I want. Adjusted my feelings to suit.

I’ve always thought that Arsenal and City were (more or less) free hits in respect of deciding to sack him or not. As long as they both weren’t 6-0 defeats he’d at least see the Leicester game.

Today’s result will mean a lot less if we fail to win one of the next two. We perhaps need four points.

But what today has shown is the team is good enough to compete with the very best.

• Like 2

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Its like arguing with a brick wall with you, mate.

spacer.png

You’re genuinely hilarious.

YOU were wrong.  Arguing with me about a fact. And then tell me I should’ve posted the rules here for you?

Anyway leave it there.

You’re clearly a little lacking in the IQ department.

Just now, Tommo_b said:

I disagree, they looked slick and dangerous.

A slick and dangerous Man City beats a bottom of the league Gerrard team all day long, it's just where we are, something I keep hearing. Remember they scored 3 in like 10 minutes in the last game we played them. That's a City team on form and dangerous.

Gerrard has not become some tactical genius overnight after 3 wins including 2 against the relegated teams in 15, to be able to keep a on form and dangerous Man City team quiet. We did okay, but they defo had a poor game, don't kid yourself

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

But Villa will argue they were denied a winner when the substitute Philippe Coutinho sent a shot crashing in off the crossbar, after the referee Simon Hooper had already blown his whistle because the assistant referee Adrian Holmes raised his flag for offside

They clearly aren't as he had blown his whistle BEFORE Coutinho hit the ball. That's the rules sadly. VAR can't look at it unless he'd blown AFTER the strike.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Did not make the game as travelling back from holiday, what happened with the disallowed goal No mention of it on the radio

Watkins played the ball across the 18-yard line, Ramsey was coming on to it but either dummied it or was "moved" away from the ball by the City defender, and it went straight to Coutinho. Before Coutinho blasted one in from the edge of the area, the linesman had flagged him offside and the ref blew the whistle, even though he wasn't actually offside.

Even if he was offside, they're supposed to continue until the move has played out.

• Thanks 1

Well done lads! I only got to seriously watch about 60% of the game due to my channel’s poor performance but from what I saw, we did okay. Lovely finish from Bailey after good work from JJ and Doug. The Philippe goal should have stood, yet another example of shite refereeing followed up with big six bias. 

Hopefully this will give us some confidence. I’m still keen to get Gerrard out but I still want us to pick up points. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomC said:

He's good at advancing it...it's the final ball that lets him down sometimes.

I thought he kept getting burned on the defensive end today...Pep seems to target him these days (like their first and third goals in May).

Yeah he can drive forward well, but he doesn’t have the passing or dribbling. KKH against United in pre season was levels above him I thought. And he can pass left or right 

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

They clearly aren't as he had blown his whistle BEFORE Coutinho hit the ball. That's the rules sadly. VAR can't look at it unless he'd blown AFTER the strike.

The point isn't that VAR can't check because the ref already stopped play, the point is the ref shouldn't have stopped the play in the first place then have it checked after the fact. I thought that would be obvious?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

We know the lino raised his flag. We know the ref blew his whistle. We know they jointly failed to follow the laws of the game in doing so. 

Whatever else happened , they majorly screwed up at a pivotal point. Again.

The bias that goes against us is beyond a joke. I think we've more than compensated for the ghost goal e benefitted from (and in fact, we were already owed a goal thanks to the lansbury/grealish incident). 

When do we start getting the corrupt decisions go our way?

• Like 1

I don't think Ederson gave it his all because of the whistle. It's unfortunate, we were robbed of an exquisite attempt at goal but it's not nailed on that the ball hits the back of the net. We were fortunate today and I'll take that against arguably the best side on the planet.

• Like 2

Â