Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

On 04/09/2022 at 19:41, jim said:

What a load of horse manure.

I doubt anyone here would have left both Coutinho and Buendia in the bench.

How many would have brought Young on when Cash was injured? I’ll tell you, none judging by the comments in the match thread.

We haven’t been good this season but credit where it is due, he got it right yesterday. 

I could also quote the famous saying " even a broken clock is right twice a day" .When the broken clock is showing the correct time that is just luck, it doesnt mean the clock is suddenly working, its still broke. I suppose we could just wait another 12 hours and it will be the right time again.  SG has been repeatedly critisised on this forum for his, team selection, team formation, lack of tactis and bad decisions. We get a draw against Man City and everyone thinks Gerrard has had an managerial epiffany, I hope he has, but I doubt it. I have been a Villa loyal for 60 years and I have seen us used as a training ground for newbie managers too many times, Villa are better than that so why do we do it. But regardless of your "manure" comment, you are a fellow Villa fan and I respect you views. 🙂

Edited by Podster

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and ours was about 0.26 according to most sites, so the stat average score was 2-0 to Man City.  We overstored, they underscored.

Then it doesn't mean much of anything, obviously. Because we scored a good goal? You also cut the rest of my post where I describe the chances we had? 

I can't believe I'm having to argue that is was a good performance. It doesn't mean I think Gerrard is the right man to take us forward, only that there's at least some evidence now he can arrest the slide, if he can get his ego in check.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not buying this "poor Man. City performance" either, they are one of the best teams in the World.

It's just another fabricated argument to ridicule and criticise Gerrard despite a good performance from Villa.

In the pre match thread it was commented that the City starting 11 was probably their strongest starting 11 possible too 🤣

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not buying this "poor Man. City performance" either, they are one of the best teams in the World.

It's just another fabricated argument to ridicule and criticise Gerrard despite a good performance from Villa.

anymore than Arsenal had an off day at Old Trafford.....see if the united fans buy that too...I doubt it.

It does make me laugh at times....sure we play crap at times, but when we do deserve praise, some find it hard to accept it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

In the pre match thread it was commented that the City starting 11 was probably their strongest starting 11 possible too 🤣

But can you not concede they had a poor game for them.  Just because it was arguably their best side doesn’t mean it wasn’t a disappointing performance by them…you can see the difference can’t you!

Just now, Pinebro said:

That point against City really isn't gonna count for much if we don't build on it.

We badly need some wins on board right now. Draws isn't gonna get us up the table.

It never was.....even a win wasn't going to fix the past results, on its own.

Kind of a side question. What's your take on how we managed to contain Haaland? Was it down to Dougie (and Emi)? I can't imagine that many PL managers and defensive coaches are NOT trying to decode how we managed to do that.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Kind of a side question. What's your take on how we managed to contain Haaland? Was it down to Dougie (and Emi)? I can't imagine that many PL managers and defensive coaches are NOT trying to decode how we managed to do that.

The guy is a traditional striker and more than likely the best we’ll see for the next 10 years. Taken up the reins from Lewandowski and I guess later career Ronaldo. That is to say he doesn’t really drop deep into the midfield and pull defenders out, his deadliness is his movement around the centre backs and using his power. Fortunately for us that’s where Mings is at his best. Maybe the addition of Doug helped us keep a little better shape and a little more of the ball so their midfield had a harder time making passes into him (after the first 20 minutes when KDB had the liberty of either flank). But I think we did really well to not allow him to ghost into the positions around the 6 yard box, goal aside, or get in too many 1v1 or 1v2s when he’s running with pace in behind.

Edited by a m ole

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

The guy is a traditional striker and more than likely the best we’ll see for the next 10 years. Taken up the reins from Lewandowski and I guess later career Ronaldo. That is to say he doesn’t really drop deep into the midfield and pull defenders out, his deadliness is his movement around the centre backs and using his power. Fortunately for us that’s where Mings is at his best. Maybe the addition of Doug helped us keep a little better shape and a little more of the ball so their midfield had a harder time making passes into him (after the first 20 minutes when KDB had the liberty of either flank). But I think we did really well to not allow him to ghost into the positions around the 6 yard box, goal aside, or get in too many 1v1 or 1v2s when he’s running with pace in behind.

I wouldn't call him traditional. He's complete. He can do everything. He is a poacher, a strong hold up the ball and bring others in striker, a towering header of the ball, a fast skillful beat his man striker.

He can do any of the above, and the consequence is he's impossible to contain. One way or another, he'll find the back of the net,  as he did against us.

We limited his chances by limiting the ball getting to him. So for me it's largely in Kamara and Luiz keeping the midfield tight and organised, on Young (and a bit of Digne) for limiting the crosses coming in to him and finally on Mings for being able to match his strength so that when he did get the ball he couldnt just shrug off his marker. Give him more chances to do so, and he's getting free of Mings  or any centre back, far more times in a normal game.

Was a largely complete team performance, and yet he still managed to score.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Pinebro said:

That point against City really isn't gonna count for much if we don't build on it.

We badly need some wins on board right now. Draws isn't gonna get us up the table.

I said to this acorn the other day....don't get cocky, you are not an Oak tree yet.

He said "Yes, but we all have to start somewhere"

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I wouldn't call him traditional. He's complete. He can do everything. He is a poacher, a strong hold up the ball and bring others in striker, a towering header of the ball, a fast skillful beat his man striker.

He can do any of the above, and the consequence is he's impossible to contain. One way or another, he'll find the back of the net,  as he did against us.

We limited his chances by limiting the ball getting to him. So for me it's largely in Kamara and Luiz keeping the midfield tight and organised, on Young (and a bit of Digne) for limiting the crosses coming in to him and finally on Mings for being able to match his strength so that when he did get the ball he couldnt just shrug off his marker. Give him more chances to do so, and he's getting free of Mings  or any centre back, far more times in a normal game.

Was a largely complete team performance, and yet he still managed to score.

I thought Mings was excellent against him......but agree, with your views.

If Southgate saw that, he must be back in, if he can keep that up.

Just a little side note. I have found myself somehow really suddenly hating Man City this. I loved watching DeBruyne look frustrated. I loved watching Emi mess with their minds. I love that Jack is on the bench. I loved hearing Pep talk BS after the match. I guess the FFP stuff all adds an edge to the schadenfreude, but nothing would please me more than to see City lose their mojo. I'm out of control. I want more and more of this loathing hahahahahaahahahahaahah.

I better talk to my therapist about this, so I can get into more an accepting and caring and loving and sharing happy football space where all opposing clubs are treated with compassion and respect.

Or not. Nope. Not.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 05/09/2022 at 07:12, nick76 said:

But can you not concede they had a poor game for them

I don't think anyone here would not concede that Man City were the stronger team.

There is an adage amongst squash players that you can only play as well as your opponent lets you.

Can we agree that Villa did not let Man City play well?

I am not arguing Villa played well, in fact I don't think they did. Defensively they could have been better but they were not bad by any means.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Â