The Players: Plenty of Blame to Go Around?

Marka Ragnos

4 hours ago, TomC said:

I don't think he's that bad and is clearly an upgrade on the 2021-22 version of Targett. But he certainly shouldn't be the highest paid player on the team.

He is probably the highest paid Villa player ever. I dont even think Grealish last contract was that big

11 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Oh footballers wages are completely obscene.  We’re paying Guilbert and Sanson for what exactly? No wonder they don’t want to move.

I don't disagree. Was just trying to shed light on that fact that players themselves don't actually walk in and say I want this or that amount, and behind every overrich contract is a clever, canny agent who has sold a club an idea. Pini Zahavi is an amazing agent and has landed Morgan Sanson an amazing situation for now. It's win-win for them, but seems a lose-lose for the club and fans. Someone has to be accountable for this arrangement. Who?  

Sanson's situation is now being closely monitored by his agent, Pini Zahavi, one of the most influential figures in the game. The Israeli has brokered some of the most-historic transfers in history which includes Rio Ferdinand's record-breaking £30million deal from Leeds to Man United.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

why is  Dendoncker on 90k?  Hes just a squad player at best 

Three answers: His contract represents great hopes, and/or his brother at Wasserman is an effective negotiator, and/or Villa made some wasteful deals. Surely there is someone in the club hierarchy who is going to have to answer for what looks increasingly like a suspect payroll. I mean, it's too much for what we're getting. Bottom line. It all may be logical and mostly explainable, but that should not put it above serious criticism because in the end it could all come back and bite the fans in the arse. It's not just some theoretical issue. This is how clubs get in over their heads if they're not careful. I'm not panicking, but I'm thinking, "Hmmm. This payroll looks a bit weird."    

WASSERMAN IS A FULL SERVICE, CULTURE-CENTRIC AGENCY BUILT TO SERVE THE BEST TALENT, BRANDS AND PROPERTIES IN THE WORLD.

WE ARE UNITED BY OUR PASSION AND BELIEF IN THE POWER OF CULTURE.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

7th highest wage bill, if true, means we need to be making Europe. That cannot be sustained for 3 seasons without European football. 2 seasons may be too much. 

It's always said that a wage bill offers the better indicator of a team's worth, compared with transfer fees paid. Emery seems to have got the players close to performing at a level worthy of their salaries, let's see if he can sustain it and then we can absolve the players of any blame. 

Absolute pathetic bunch of jokers. Probably 3 or 4 are good enough. They earn tens of thousands of pounds a week to behave like complete words removed and cowards. Honestly im disgusted by these complete and utter wastes of space. 

If you are given 15 or so attempts at goal around the edge of the area, you should be taking advantage.

We didn't even make their keeper work.

Spent 90 mins pissing around thinking the ball would just end up in the net

Completely unproffesional display

It's interesting with payroll. It could be like 'we have the 6th highest wage bill in the league. Therefore we expect a top 6 finish. If this isn't achieved and you come 14th, we will find out what the 14th highest wage bill is in the league and deduct the difference'

The performances seem to be reverting to exactly the same as what we saw at the end of Smith and most of Gerrard. Zero movement for each other. If that’s what we get under a manager of the quality of Emery, then we’re totally, totally ****.

Too many of these players are gutless morons who seem to lack the ability to think for themselves and need A LOT of coaching input.

Huge, huge job for Unai. 

Â