The Players: Plenty of Blame to Go Around?

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Lot of players need a kicking as well. Paid a fortune but can't be bothered. 

I think they do, but it often looks this way when a manager doesn't manage to get his ideas across, or don't have any ideas, or the players just realise that the instructions given them arent working, but try to carry it out anyway.

When you just had a hard earned draw against Manc $ity, and your manager turnaround and said you didn't follow his gameplan and instructions, then I kind of get why players performance may drop off somewhat. There is blame, but it's easy enough to see the cause of it

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

People are desperately trying to defend them saying it’s Gerrards fault they’ve downed tools. Maybe it is but they’re not disheartened fans they’re f**king professionals and they were absolutely abysmal.

Lots of our players are far from good enough. Cash, Konsa, McGinn. Ramsey, Watkins and Bailey are all regular starters and there are loads of better players, in their respective positions, who are earning less than ten grand a week in the championship.

On 20/10/2022 at 21:38, Xela said:

mm NO I am pretty sure the squad are actually fine

It was so predictable under a half decent coach we would look OK 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

mm NO I am pretty sure the squad are actually fine

It was so predictable under a half decent coach we would look OK 

There is no excuse for lack of effort, and some of the players haven't tried 100% this season. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

There is no excuse for lack of effort, and some of the players haven't tried 100% this season. 

was no lack of effort though. I cant think of one player that hasnt tried this season

They were led by a clueless clearing in the woods and with a basic tactical change that a lot of Villa fans called for then today they thrived

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Sorry mate, but if you were working for a clueless numptey that was making your work life miserable you would find it tough to be at your best everyday.

Gerrard was in charge, the work life culture was his responsibility and it was instantly proven that he didn't know what he was doing.

I don't blame the players at all, if anything I blame them for giving too much and keeping him in a job far too long.

This thread should be closed imo 

They're multi millionaire professional footballers living a pampered life, not working in a mine, or on an oil rig.

I've worked for plenty of managers, good and bad, and my professional pride means I will always work to the best of my ability. Thats just me though, some people may well use a shit manager as an excuse to shirk and be lazy. 

Anyway, you are right, this thread should be closed. 

UTV

1 minute ago, Xela said:

They're multi millionaire professional footballers living a pampered life, not working in a mine, or on an oil rig.

I've worked for plenty of managers, good and bad, and my professional pride means I will always work to the best of my ability. Thats just me though, some people may well use a shit manager as an excuse to shirk and be lazy. 

UTV

Players were working to the best of the ability but the tactics were farcical under Captain clearing in the woods.

He had McGinn/Ramsey playing in reverse positions, our wingers got none of the ball and our full backs were playmakers. Its actually disgraceful he got so long

1 minute ago, Xela said:

UTV

I do understand your point, I run my own gardening business and I can't even down tools when I'm trying to get payment. 

Football is different though and I honestly think SG absolutely did everything possible to harm the team environment.

I don't actually feel like they downed tools, Man City and Chelsea being prime examples. I just think the players had become so frustrated trying to execute a game plan that clearly didn't work.

Its good to win either way! UTV 

• Like 1

Aside from Fulham, I never really thought the players weren't playing for Gerrard, i don't think he was that poor a man manager that they all hated him.

However, its much easier to look like effort is being made when you are setup correctly.

For example, Luiz won lots of tackles and interceptions today - he could commit 100% because he knew Dendoncker was backing him up and with Buendia also buzzing around any 2nd balls would be mopped up.

Contrast that with McGinn and Ramsey whose defensive awareness is poor; if he commits and loses the opposition is in because those two definitely wont be covering. So he holds off which is seen as lazy, but actually its the only thing he can do. Thats why even with Kamara playing alongside those two we had exactly the same issues.

Upfront with the forwards, its much easier to be involved when you have proper support and work triangles and other patterns instead of the game plan just being for the full backs to smash crosses in all game.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Certainly seems that some players downed tools. That's worrying as what's to say they won't just do the same again for whoever the new manager is

I dont think thats true, seems to be todays media agenda though.

We were just tactically inept previously, the improvement in balance yesterday wasnt because the players cared more

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Certainly seems that some players downed tools. That's worrying as what's to say they won't just do the same again for whoever the new manager is

I was angry with them after Fulham but that last week must have been very strange at the training ground as from the outside it felt like not if but when Gerrard would be sacked. If Gerrard had also mentally checked out what kind of preparation went into that game I wonder.

Â