The Players: Plenty of Blame to Go Around?

Marka Ragnos

Personally, I think it was a case of the players had no idea what they were supposed to do. I mean it wasn't obvious to me what we were trying to achieve under Gerrard.

I think it was a case of be compact and try and do something in the final third.

Very much looks like Danks was looking for 2 players holding in the middle with Watkins and Bailey told to stretch the play, Emi looked to have a free role but told to always make himself available and play quick pass and move football. 

Have we established there was a us v them mentality in the coaching staff? As I know a few have suggested it wasnt a nice environment.

I don't think the players "downed tools", up until the Fulham game at least.

I think they simply lost belief in what they were being asked to do. If you are told to do your job a certain way, even though you believe it's not the correct way, at what point do you question that instruction? Maybe not at first, more likely you'll do as you're told and trust the manager giving the instruction, but if the results of those instructions are poor, and then you're asked to carry out the same instructions again? Rinse and repeat this many times and you can see how the enthusiasm for the job at hand wanes. If then the said manager begins throwing you and your team mates under the bus for the poor results... well, we all know how it ended.

I'm not saying the players are free from blame, just trying to explain how it's difficult to perform when you don't have confidence in what you are being asked to do.

I think there was a cathartic feel to the Brentford performance, I think the whole club needed it, but it's not something I expect to be easily repeated, the circumstances that led to that performance will change.

It simply shows that if you can convince the players that what they are doing is correct then they will follow, and they have the talent to do so very effectively .

Newcastle show that you can achieve a fair bit with "sub standard" players, the mentality aspect of football goes incredibly far and their a buzzing feel good factor team playing out of their skin

Still maintain on paper their squad isn't as good as ours

We're stuck looking down, they're looking up, it's insane what a difference it makes

No doubt for some of them theres no hope for improvement

But most of them have never actually worked for a good manager for this level, so i'll wait and see what Emery can do with them.

After his goal today, Almiron has 6 goals in 12 games this season. He'd only scored 9 in his previous 110 premier league games. He looks a different player now Howe has had time to work with him.

7 minutes ago, andym said:

No doubt for some of them theres no hope for improvement

But most of them have never actually worked for a good manager for this level, so i'll wait and see what Emery can do with them.

After his goal today, Almiron has 6 goals in 12 games this season. He'd only scored 9 in his previous 110 premier league games. He looks a different player now Howe has had time to work with him.

Almiron has always been a grafter. That could never be labelled against him. Grafter and never hides. Now he's getting his rewards.

How many players in this squad would you say that about?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Almiron has always been a grafter. That could never be labelled against him. Grafter and never hides. Now he's getting his rewards.

How many players in this squad would you say that about?

You could say the same about Ollie for example. Similar position. Buendia as well.

Why do so many of our players seem content with everything going on? These guys are so weak mentally it’s so embarrassing. All the time we go a goal down I just sit here and think to myself what’s the actual point if these guys are going to give up.

If these players continue to act like this when Emery is in charge then we have to be ruthless and cut our losses with them. At times it’s felt like the players are ok with just settling with being average to poor, so long as they get paid.

What do people think has happened to the likes of Joelinton, Schar, Longstaff, Almiron, Murphy etc? They start juicing or something? Because this time last year they were among the worst players the league has seen for a long time when they played under Steve Bruce. Now they are brushing most teams including us aside with style. For example, they now press relentlessly, whereas the word press wasn't even in their vocabulary before. What could make then do that I wonder.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What do people think has happened to the likes of Joelinton, Schar, Longstaff, Almiron, Murphy etc? They start juicing or something? Because this time last year they were among the worst players the league has seen for a long time when they played under Steve Bruce. Now they are brushing most teams including us aside with style. For example, they now press relentlessly, whereas the word press wasn't even in their vocabulary before. What could make then do that I wonder.

Eddie Howe had Bournemouth covering great distances in their matches too, Dan Gosling led the league's running stats at one point. They also got punished for breaking anti doping rules by not providing their whereabouts (Man City were punished at the same time).  

Whatever he does he gets teams fit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

When was the last time we went 2-0 down and went on to win the game? Other teams seem to be able to have it in them with Villa once a second has gone in they just about give up and are far more likely to concede a couple more. 

Hmm, I don’t think we have this season? Wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t it last season either.

Â