The Players: Plenty of Blame to Go Around?

Marka Ragnos

The players can't help but to ultimately be what they are. 

It's Lange and Purslow who are responsible for this steaming tower of dung.

I want more ruthlessness from Sawiris.

I want those two imposters OUT.

We need to get rid of quite a few fringe players. Sanson, Augustinsson, Olsen, Coutinho, for starters and then look at the likes of Buendia, Bailey, Mings, Konsa, Digne. They're simply not good enough for Europe. We need at least 2-3 creative players in the door as we badly lacked creativity against a League Two side today. 

On 06/01/2023 at 23:48, Marka Ragnos said:

Just as an aside, I'd add that players may sign the contracts, but the agents and clubs obviously work out the deals. I'd never blame a player for making money, and there's no law that says a higher salary is going to improve a player, obviously. Still, when you think what we're getting, as fans, well, I agree, some of the wages seem out of whack haha! I mean, I'd guesstimate that the average West Midlands worker makes about £800,000 over the course of their entire lifetime. 

Just shows how much money is in premier league now. Even a decade ago our top earner would be 40-50k range. Now the youths are not far off that figure.

Would query the Konsa one though. Joined us in 2019 for 15m, signed a new deal I think 2021 and yet still only on 30k? That's not right.

With that wage bill you really need constant european qualification and we're miles off that currently with s*** like today.

• Like 1

The sane part of my brain knows that players are multi-million pound assets we need to try to retrieve some value out of, especially in an FFP world

But if I woke up tomorrow to the club announcing they've released today's starting 11, I wouldn't shed a **** tear.

• Like 1

Fwiw, I think a few of the weaker players can get away with it when they’re in a strong line up. 

By that I mean, Dendoncker can be of some use when next to Kamara for instance. 

What this debacle screams is the likes of Dendoncker, Olsen, Chambers, Bednarek, should never feature in the same team. 

I wouldn’t be sad to see any of the following leave:

Olsen

Konsa

Cash

McGinn

Sanson

Buendia

Watkins

Steer

Chambers

Augustinsson

Nakamba

Bednarek

Coutinho

Guilbert

Digne

Bailey

Donk

And of those I think only Konsa, Cash, Watkins, Digne and Donk should stay as back ups at most. McGinn possibly if he keeps up his minor resurgence. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Sad 1

They're not shit

They're certainly not so shit that they should lose that game

Lazy, lethargic, stupid, naive, disinterested, indifferent all to the point of unprofessional... Thats something different and that's whats so frustrating with villa

our problem is lack of movement, being shit at football does not make you stand still and not show for the ball

We buy good players who don't perform, rinse and repeat, we are a graveyard for footballing talent

Just once I'd love it if we had a couple of players let alone a team that played better than they actually are or a team that wasnt out worked and want it

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Olsen

Konsa

Cash

McGinn

Sanson

Buendia

Watkins

Steer

Chambers

Augustinsson

Nakamba

Bednarek

Coutinho

Guilbert

Digne

Bailey

Donk

And of those I think only Konsa, Cash, Watkins, Digne and Donk should stay as back ups at most. McGinn possibly if he keeps up his minor resurgence. 

Agreed. We don't need to get rid of all of them straight away, but not a single player in that list goes to a club higher in the table than us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Olsen

Konsa

Cash

McGinn

Sanson

Buendia

Watkins

Steer

Chambers

Augustinsson

Nakamba

Bednarek

Coutinho

Guilbert

Digne

Bailey

Donk

Yes, I hear you. I do like Bailey and Digne, but I went from like heart to laughing face to sad face emoji when I saw your post, if you get me?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. We don't need to get rid of all of them straight away, but not a single player in that list goes to a club higher in the table than us.

Harsh but understandable. They've really disappointed.  

We're not going to get rid of 11 players and bring in 11 players.

Like Howe, Emery will have to get a tune out of underperforming players and improve them.

Edited by Pinebro

11 hours ago, Pinebro said:

We're not going to get rid of 11 players and bring in 11 players.

Like Howe, Emery will have to get a tune out of underperforming players and improve them.

Probably not that many, but Emery was not happy with the attitude of some of the players on Sunday,  I think a few will have sealed their fate.

• Like 1

As we've probably all seen in our workplaces, there are people in teams who are perfectly capable but tend to drift and look to others. Without stronger, more alpha team mates around them they kind of fade - given solid guidance they do a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if just a few additions to the team with a better, stronger mentality had a galvanising effect, a force multiplier so to speak. That might be enough to get us to the next window, rinse and repeat.

Either way I think we've finally hit a point where some of these players are getting found out and, unlike previously, shade cannot be realistically thrown at the manager. An individual match balls up maybe, but not when looking at the longer term trend. Before, there could be suspicion at Smith's lack of prior top-level management, ROK's coaching, Gerrard's "rookie" status etc. All of which offered potential get outs for criticism of the players ("If only they were coached properly they'd be great players" argument for example - one I've certainly used) or even self-analysis by the play themselves. There seems to be no hiding place now, which can only be a good thing imo.

Sorry, bit of a ramble. UTV.

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Probably not that many, but Emery was not happy with the attitude of some of the players on Sunday,  I think a few will have sealed their fate.

Hope so, many have proven time and time again they are weak-minded and average footballers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I think 5/6 names, mainly a mix of fringe and starters will be sold. You have to make an example and set the standard. New additions will push the better quality players to step up (if they don’t you rinse and repeat). 

I think that's a reasonable amount over the next two windows.  We need to recruit less weak-minded players, hopefully Emery has this in mind.

• Like 1

Â