The Players: Plenty of Blame to Go Around?

Marka Ragnos

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smith was always big on personality when signing players so I don’t think there were any bad eggs in the camp. Gerrard was just an idiot and way out of his depth.

Yeah tactically clueless, one dimensional, and above all seemingly unlikeable by fans and players… (Gerrard I mean, not smith obv)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Greenfly said:

This thread proved an interesting read. I have to admit, before Emery came along I never realised just how much of an impact a proper manager can have. This is a squad that is comfortably top half quality, and it's crazy how long it has taken for that to be demonstrated.

You're better off throwing £50m at a manager than a flash striker I reckon. 

21 hours ago, jayEm said:

I think the Emery era reflects very poorly on Gerrard (obviously) but also very well on Dean Smith. The vast majority of these players were signed by him. Watkins, Luiz, Mings, Konsa, Martinez. He got Ramsey playing for the first team at the perfect moment. Brought Young back.

It shows that Smith had a good eye for a player and that he chose people with the right character. But I was think it highlights Smith’s weaknesses as a coach, as Emery had got so much more out them 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Some interesting posts in this thread. 

I know it's all hindsight but still funny.

Almost as funny as you calling people crazy in the January transfer thread if they even thought we should or could go for Europe this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

Almost as funny as you calling people crazy in the January transfer thread if they even thought we should or could go for Europe this season.

Absolutely

I also thought sherwood was going to be great. 

On 03/06/2023 at 10:56, alreadyexists said:

Yeah tactically clueless, one dimensional, and above all seemingly unlikeable by fans and players… (Gerrard I mean, not smith obv)

No room for any other personalities. The dressing room was full of one ego! 

Plenty of blame to go around. But all fingers point to the coach and his staff. 

• Like 1

Â