Pre-match thread

wedge

Its a really important game for us looking at what comes after. Lose this and we’ll be going into those next 3 with trepidation. Win and we’ll be quietly optimistic. 

Really tough game, they’re full of athletes; pace and power. Midfield battle will be key. Id give them the edge, especially at home. We’ll do well to take something from this one.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We had a good start last season, 10 points from first 6 games so that would've been 60 points over a season but we were miles off that in the end and sacked the manager five games later.

Think it's too early to be worrying about dropped points as bad as losing to Bournemouth was.

It's a tricky start but from mid September we have Southampton at home and then games v Leeds, Fulham, Forest and Brentford up to end of October so that is going to be the period Gerrard will be judged on as we need to win a few of those games to be close to top half. Or a new manager can win some of them instead.

I think I'm just really negative about Villa currently - poor transfer window, injury to new signing, owners stopped spending, etc.

Beating a decent team would make me feel a bit better. I suppose a draw is ok at Palace, it's better than losing, but I'd want to see us follow that up by beating West Ham.

This game as early as it is could really decide what type of season it will be.

On paper a draw is good but if we have any aspirations of top eight we must win.

Otherwise our first three matches would be defeat, win and draw which is again inconsistent just like last season.

• Like 1

Martinez

Cash   Chambers  Mings  Digne

Luiz.           Kamara

McGinn.     Buendia.   Ramsey

Watkins

3-0 villa

• Haha 1

I've been very impressed with Palace since Vieira took over, and their discipline and work-rate make them very resilient, which has earned them quite a few points against top teams.

I thought the loss of Gallagher might cause them problems but not at all from recent evidence.

I always thought of Zaha as a bit an ill-disciplined show-pony but under Viera he seems be far more controlled, and less apt to spit the dummy, when things go against him.

If Villa avoid leaving too much space behind the defence, and create enough to bypass the Palace bus, they might get something from the game, but not much more than a point.

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This game as early as it is could really decide what type of season it will be.

On paper a draw is good but if we have any aspirations of top eight we must win.

Otherwise our first three matches would be defeat, win and draw which is again inconsistent just like last season.

We beat Palace away last season and finished 14th. It's too early to label it as a must win.

Good luck to anyone getting to the twilight zone that is Croydon on another train strike weekend.

• Like 1

We have some chance on the basis that it seems the clamour for Buendia to start is now unavoidable. With Buendia in the side the rest will click. Carlos out is a big shame but we're not bad at the back. Mings with Konsa or Chambers can still do a job. It depends on the shape of the front 5. Is it Buendia as a right forward or as a centre mid - and depending on that, who fills in elsewhere.

I still think we'll do well to get a draw though. Just that it's not the foregone conclusion it would have been with Coutinho in the side.

Watch him start now.

• Like 1

Palace will bring their physical side of the game to the front.

The sort of thing we seem no good at.

Just got to hope we have a fast start and can grab a couple 1st half goals as I can't see us dominating the game for any reasonable amount of time and that means ghe pressure building, again we ate not great at pressure either.

Edited by brummybloke

Palace have played pretty well against Arsenal and Liverpool.

We've played badly against Bournemouth and Everton.

I can only see a comfortable win for Palace.

Suppose Buendia starting isn't something we've had this season so we could see something different with him on from the off.

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think this is a good measure of the sort of team we will be this year  

Yep.

I'm hoping the confidence they'll have gained from getting three points means they'll be a bit more relaxed. We are so wooden and formulaic, and it's been a crap formula that looks doomed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have a feeling that we'll need to score four to win this.

They have strong, direct attacking players and I think they'll score goals against us.

I think it might be a high scoring game.

Since we've come back up they've largely had the same forward options....conceded 6 in 6 games v them which isn't too bad, just the 3-2 defeat there at end of 20/21 season where we were 2-1 up with about 10 minutes left and lost.

It will be tight game, has a 1-1 feel to me.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Since we've come back up they've largely had the same forward options....conceded 6 in 6 games v them which isn't too bad, just the 3-2 defeat there at end of 20/21 season where we were 2-1 up with about 10 minutes left and lost.

It will be tight game, has a 1-1 feel to me.

Didn't we lose 1-0 there when Jack was booked for diving when he passed to Lansbury who scored right at the end. The ref was not our Friend

Edited by pintpotvilla
  • Like 2

Rope-a-dope and let them wear themselves out. We need to keep our heads on this one and allow the physicality of Palace to expend energy until they're knackered. Need to be careful about drawing cards or fights and, if it's even possible, defend ourselves against harsh tackles. They're very handsy. Could see a brawl breaking out. If we lose our heads, I think we'll be lucky to take a point from this one, and it won't be easy. Palace are so athletic and eager. This isn't ManUnited. We must play a brain game. Gallagher's absence may save us, but I wouldn't count on it. We have to keep the ball. Palace are especially good at getting the ball away from their opposition.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

It would be our better players against a team with a better manager. Will good players with a poor tactic beat average players with good tactic. Or maybe Crystal Palace used up all their luck against Liverpool, so that we could beat them with luck.

Crystal Palace is a team that should end up just above the relegation places, and that is where we are too, so it should be an even match.