Pre-match thread

wedge

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If I gave you £20 to pick a winner right at this minute, who would you pick?

I bet if you stopped 100 neutrals on the street and asked them who wins this game, 80% would back Palace. 

It’s not trendy, it’s just people judging what they’ve seen so far and making an assumption off the back of that. We’ve been average at best, Palace have been better than that. Therefore - Palace win (probably).

Villa because that’s the team I support (and want to win). Who gives a f**k about neutrals. 

Neutrals don’t support the Villa.

Sad to think that there are fans entering the ground expecting their team to lose. 
Perhaps explains the crap atmosphere unless we are 3-0 up after five minutes.

So much for the twelfth man.

• Like 1

Sadly I fear more when we play teams we should beat. It shouldn't be that way, but I have no faith in SG, if his tactics were as good as his talk we would be a force in the premership, but the way Stevie has us playing leaves us looking like we can be undone as easy as an old cardigan. If we don't start getting results against teams like Palace we are going to be in another relegation battle. I know I sound pessimistic but

I know we can win this game, come on the Villa.

Edited by Podster

On 15/08/2022 at 21:11, VillaChris said:

Think it's too early to be worrying about dropped points as bad as losing to Bournemouth was.

Maybe that's the problem, we should be worrying about dropping points from day 1 not playing catch up.

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think he’ll change it up. I think Coutinho will start behind Ings and Watkins. That would be my guess. 

I don’t think he fancies Buendia as a starter at all. Sadly. 

God almighty he's asking for trouble if he doesn't pick Buendia again. 0% chance of any points if he's left on the bench again.

2 hours ago, smg said:

Villa because that’s the team I support (and want to win). Who gives a f**k about neutrals. 

Neutrals don’t support the Villa.

Sad to think that there are fans entering the ground expecting their team to lose. 
Perhaps explains the crap atmosphere unless we are 3-0 up after five minutes.

So much for the twelfth man.

Hope and expectation are different things.

You walk into Villa Park thinking we'll win every game? You're in the minority sir. 

You walk into VP hoping we'll win every game? You're in the supermajority sir.

• Like 4

Palace is a good test for our manager.

Can he come up with effective tactics for this game ? I think this is the unknown with Gerrard, having specific plans for each opposition.

We need to be able to beat mid table teams to keep climbing the table and build confidence within the squad.

5 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

Palace is a good test for our manager.

Can he come up with effective tactics for this game ?

Well he hasn't managed it yet, so surely the law of averages has to come into effect eventually.

Due to the train strike I expect a lot of people will be driving down on Saturday, please be aware that the Sainsbury’s car park next to the ground says free parking for three hours but this only applies when the store is open which of course it isn’t on the afternoon of matches. There is an £85 fine.

• Like 2

Crystal Palace are a decent side with some very effective attacking players, but they’re not Man City. They are beatable, even for Villa. In fact we won at Selhurst Park last season did we not? With Gerrard and Viera still quite new to their respective clubs. 

Nobody should be going into this expecting us to get thrashed, we have as much chance as they do. Neither team is consistent. 

• Like 1

I feel a bit like I did just before Southampton at home last season. Cannot see anything but a hefty defeat.

Went on to win that game 4-0 of course, hopefully the same total mirror image of reality plays out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I feel a bit like I did just before Southampton at home last season. Cannot see anything but a hefty defeat.

Went on to win that game 4-0 of course, hopefully the same total mirror image of reality plays out.

Intellectually, I keep seeing a win. Emotionally, I keep feeling a loss. Bournemouth Disaster Syndrome left me with a weakened immunity when it comes to fear. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Can we please try a midfield 3 of

----------------Kamara-----------------------

------------------------------Luiz--------------

-----------McGinn--------------------------

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 2