Pre-match thread

wedge

Martinez

Cash     Chambers    Mings      Digne 

McGinn   Kamara   Ramsey      

Buendia

Ings           Watkins 

I expected 3 points against Bournemouth and a 1-2 defeat against Everton so I've been pretty poor with my predictions, therefore I will say another 2-1 defeat on Saturday and hope I'm wrong again and we can return with 3 points. They have some very dangerous players in Zaha, Eze, Olise.. but we can cause them problems too, need to be at it from the very first minute.

7 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Martinez

Cash     Chambers    Mings      Digne 

McGinn   Kamara   Ramsey      

Buendia

Ings           Watkins 

I expected 3 points against Bournemouth and a 1-2 defeat against Everton so I've been pretty poor with my predictions, therefore I will say another 2-1 defeat on Saturday and hope I'm wrong again and we can return with 3 points. They have some very dangerous players in Zaha, Eze, Olise.. but we can cause them problems too, need to be at it from the very first minute.

I can see this being the team we go with, only changes are Chambers and Buendia.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think this is a good measure of the sort of team we will be this year  

Yep. Agreed. This is a team id say are very evenly matched with us. I’d actually argue they’re slightly better but it’s these types of games you just have to win if you want to progress and finish in the top half. 

We won there last season. I was at the game and we were dominated for large parts of the match. We have to try and control the game more.

Their fans will be looking at this as a very winnable game. I’d probably take a draw to be honest. 

This is the team I would play. Ofc Gerrard would never play this:

.......................Martinez.......................

Cash.........Chambers..Mings.....Digne

......................Kamara..........................

.....................Luiz...Ramsey.................

Bailey................Watkins...........Buendia

My prediction fwiw..... 2-0 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. Agreed. This is a team id say are very evenly matched with us. I’d actually argue they’re slightly better but it’s these types of games you just have to win if you want to progress and finish in the top half. 

We won there last season. I was at the game and we were dominated for large parts of the match. We have to try and control the game more.

Their fans will be looking at this as a very winnable game. I’d probably take a draw to be honest. 

and we will be dominated, again.

sure we could get a breakaway moment, and get a goal, but in the main, they will have all the initiative.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chappy said:

—————Martinez—————

Cash Buendia Mings Digne

——————Kamara——————

———McGinn———Luiz————

——————Coutinho—————

———Ings————Watkins———

only way he’s getting in the first xi isn’t it!

joking aside....he is nearly tall enough to be a centre back for us.

Somehow still feels like a game that Gerrard needs to win or at least draw.  

A loss takes him to 3 wins in last 15 games, and 2 losses out of 3 easy games this season. That would be awful. 

A win takes him to 4 wins in 15 which starts to feel a little better and the absolute minimum required.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have no confidence we’ll beat Palace. We barely scraped past a very, very poor Everton side at home. 

No faith at all.

I think he might go for 4321 and bring Buendia in for Ings.

That gives us a better chance of a point, but still won't be much good to watch.

Edited by Tomaszk

Just now, Tomaszk said:

No faith at all.

I think he might go for 4321 and bring Buendia in for Watkins.

That gives us a better chance of a point, but still won't be much good to watch.

I don’t think he’ll change it up. I think Coutinho will start behind Ings and Watkins. That would be my guess. 

I don’t think he fancies Buendia as a starter at all. Sadly. 

13 minutes ago, smg said:

Love how it’s becoming trendy to predict a defeat week after week.

If I gave you £20 to pick a winner right at this minute, who would you pick?

I bet if you stopped 100 neutrals on the street and asked them who wins this game, 80% would back Palace. 

It’s not trendy, it’s just people judging what they’ve seen so far and making an assumption off the back of that. We’ve been average at best, Palace have been better than that. Therefore - Palace win (probably).

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He does really well against the Palaces/Southamptons of this world. Palace look good now but I still fancy us. I'm more interested to see how we fare against West Ham. If we can put in a strong performance and/or get a result, it'll increase my confidence in him. Because our record against the top half was horrendous last season. Simply being flat track bullies isn't enough to get you into the top half.

Palace have had a very tough 2 opening games, but actually done very well.

Guaranteed they'll be looking towards us as a gettable 3 points, so they will be well up for it, we need to be also!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Palace have had a very tough 2 opening games, but actually done very well.

Guaranteed they'll be looking towards us as a gettable 3 points, so they will be well up for it, we need to be also!

In fairness, whilst none of us know what Villa will turn up to a game, we are generally pretty tough to beat and run most close under Gerrard. Ar frustrating as it is, for example the 4-0 defeat at Spurs last season was the most flattering score line ever, we ran them off the park first half and should’ve been 2 or 3 goals ahead at the break. Also, we ran Champions City very close on the last day of the season last year. 

I don’t think anyone has us down as gettable 3 points?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

In fairness, whilst none of us know what Villa will turn up to a game, we are generally pretty tough to beat and run most close under Gerrard. Ar frustrating as it is, for example the 4-0 defeat at Spurs last season was the most flattering score line ever, we ran them off the park first half and should’ve been 2 or 3 goals ahead at the break. Also, we ran Champions City very close on the last day of the season last year. 

I don’t think anyone has us down as gettable 3 points?

Not sure I agree, while we don’t let teams beat us convincingly we do let teams beat us.  Only 3 teams had more losses than us last season and if I remember correctly once teams go ahead we don’t come back well.  We also have a habit of conceding early which happened again this season against Bournemouth.  I think all but the poorest teams see us as 3 gettable points if they start well in the game.

5-0 Villa and Zaha to disappear up his own arse. 

Gerrard will chin a bloke in the crowd... it'll turn out to be the same chap Cantona kicked. 

• Haha 3