Pre match thread

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

The calamitous 2015-2016 relegated Villa team started that season with an away win at newly-promoted Bournemouth.  It will be pretty sad if the post-takeover Villa with Coutinho, Bailey, Kamara, Carlos, Martinez, etc. can't match that feat.   Obviously, one game doesn't make the season but it would really drain my optimism if we were to lose or draw.

Didn’t we then fail to win any of our next 19? Just goes to show how you get unusual opening day results. I think Bournemouth went on to finish in the top half that year!

Anyway. 0-2. UTV

First game of the season always gets me. I find it impossible to not be confident. Add to that we’re playing a newly promoted team who seem to have had a pretty poor preseason in terms of transfers. But just look back to last season and you see why can happen. 

I think we’ll get 3 points here but I don’t expect a big win. I’m going 2-1, Ollie to get 1! I’ve a bit of a feeling about Archer off the bench to score too. 

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Konsa should be the one to start IMO. Best defender by some way not including DC.

I don't think Mings will take any of this well at all to be honest. I don't rate him massively but to have not only the captaincy taking but half the squad named as alternatives ahead of him is very strange.

Konsa had an absolute shocker last season. At the moment he is the worst defender, not saying he couldn’t be our best one but I have to base it on tail end of last season and he was the worst of the 3 (chambers, Konsa and Mings). 

• Like 2

I haven't got a Scooby.

Apart from some badly edited highlights, I haven't enough information to form an opinion.

I have no idea how the new players are doing, or even the shape of the team.

I guess that clubs were sent off on foreign tours, so as not to compete with the Women's European Championship, but it has meant a lousy pre-season for the fans.

One thing I do know, is that newly-promoted clubs often have their best period early in the season, so I won't be expecting a romp.

1-1

12 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think if you look at the context, that post was an attempt at irony/satire (obviously failed )🤣

Well done, though, you win “saddo of the day” award for trawling through your archive of my past posts. 😵

Course it was. 

I never get the last bit. It always comes out when someone gets defensive. This is a really well designed forum. Do you know how quick and easy it is to find something? There's no trawling necessary. 

Especially when it's so obvious. You can guess the handful of people who act like a loss today doesn't matter and acted completely different this time last year. 

• Like 1

After a little break away from here, I’ve decided that I can’t be bothered to argue with people anymore.

I hope you get whatever result makes you happy.

I’m going for a 0-2  to Villa today, Bailey and Archer to score. 

UTV!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hiney said:

I predict 2 months of optimism and excitement for the new season fizzles out as we labour to a 1-1 draw. 

There has been no optimism or excitement on here?! Were you on a different forum?

I've seen a lot of table predictions that have Bournemouth propping up the rest of the league and destined for a trip straight back to the Championship.

These same predictions see us finishing comfortably in the top half, anywhere from 7-10.

So.... 3-0 away loss it is, then.

Edited by ozvillafan
"same" not "seem"