Pre match thread

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You can’t tell anything from the first match of the season, particularly when it is against a newly promoted team.

I’m prepared for any possible result and will remain calm whatever the outcome.

Need to get a few more matches done before we can judge really how it’s going.

This won't be a walk in the park....Their only hope is to bully us off the ball....create a low block, frustrate us and hit us on the counter.....That I suspect will be their tactics.

We have to stay strong and busy.

On paper all of our players are better than all of their players pretty much. It's a game we should win.

Of course things don't work like that since there are other things involved but it'd be very disappointing if we didn't look like a cohesive unit with a clear game plan and tactic. 

• Like 1

I mean, we should win this...

It will be an early window into how well Gerrard prepares the team mentally. 

It will be a raucous home crowd and their players will be up for it.

If we have European aspirations, taking all 3 points from sides like this is a must.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I mean, we should win this...

It will be an early window into how well Gerrard prepares the team mentally. 

It will be a raucous home crowd and their players will be up for it.

If we have European aspirations, taking all 3 points from sides like this is a must.

It is a must....but our season will not be defined on the Bournemouth game, win lose or draw.

If we match them for desire and will.....we will win it.

28 minutes ago, sne said:

On paper all of our players are better than all of their players pretty much. It's a game we should win.

Of course things don't work like that since there are other things involved but it'd be very disappointing if we didn't look like a cohesive unit with a clear game plan and tactic. 

Teams with less talent usually compensate by disrupting a game plan and tactics......They force you in to a battle, we have to come through that....Thats what lower league teams try to do in cup games.....The top teams can resist it.

We have to impose our will and talent on them, and not allow them to bully us, subsequently, levelling up the talent.

We have to win the initiative first, and that involves a bit of the ugly stuffand win the physical duels.....then we can apply the talent, to our hearts content.

Try to go out playing pretty football too soon and they will clatter us, in to us losing that edge.....We have to compete first then apply the finesse.

Usually if we are playing a promoted team away first game of the season I’m fearing the worst like last season against Watford however I’d like to hope the players would have learnt from that game. 

I think Bournemouth are going to struggle this season and with Parker’s comments the last few days I am feeling really confident of a Villa win.

Not so much disruption this pre season, last year lost Grealish just before the season started and signed Bailey/Ings close to the season where as this year all signings have been done early and also replaced Beale early doors.

This fixture and the home game against Everton are two fixtures where I think we should be aiming for 6 points from. I’m expecting a comfortable 2/3-0 win tomorrow especially with the likes of Buendia/Bailey/Archer most likely be coming off the bench compared to Bournemouths options. 

• Like 2

Can't stand these words removed, hope we absolutely slap them. As others have said, they'll likely look to sit in and frustrate us so it could be an excellent opportunity for Buendia to unlock the door, if he's available. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

Teams with less talent usually compensate by disrupting a game plan and tactics......They force you in to a battle, we have to come through that....Thats what lower league teams try to do in cup games.....The top teams can resist it.

We have to impose our will and talent on them, and not allow them to bully us, subsequently, levelling up the talent.

We have to win the initiative first, and that involves a bit of the ugly stuffand win the physical duels.....then we can apply the talent, to our hearts content.

Try to go out playing pretty football too soon and they will clatter us, in to us losing that edge.....We have to compete first then apply the finesse.

Yeah we need all those things as always but I'm looking for patterns, intelligent movement and players showing for the ball and creating space and time for their teammates in a way that looks rehearsed.

For much of last season we looked out of ideas and clueless (a bit harsh perhaps) especially in possession and it was moments of brilliance rather than anything else that made it happen. We are too talented to rely on that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah we need all those things as always but I'm looking for patterns, intelligent movement and players showing for the ball and creating space and time for their teammates in a way that looks rehearsed.

For much of last season we looked out of ideas and clueless (a bit harsh perhaps) especially in possession and it was moments of brilliance rather than anything else that made it happen. We are too talented to rely on that.

I think we are saying the same thing.....Those pattens, intelligent movement etc have to be won, they don't come on a plate......Other teams with their ideas will try to stop us......We have to work in the game to find the opportunities to do what you are suggesting.

Hence the old adage................."You have to win the RIGHT to play football"

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are saying the same thing.....Those pattens, intelligent movement etc have to be won, they don't come on a plate......Other teams with their ideas will try to stop us......We have to work in the game to find the opportunities to do what you are suggesting.

Hence the old adage................."You have to win the RIGHT to play football"

Working hard is something I expect and demand every game from players at this level. If Gerrard can't get them fired up for the opening game of the season something is wrong.

Fwiw I don't think it's a lack of trying that's been our issue. it's a lack of ideas, patterns and a working tactic.

• Like 1

No excuses. I know normally we should be nervous of promoted sides, but this one even by its manager's account is in disarray. There'll probably never be a better time to play them in the first half of the season either. They have not got their shit together yet. We should be going in there and, with our front 6, making absolute mince meat of them.  If we don't then we need to look at ourselves already.  2-0 absolute minimum but hoping for a 3 or 4.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Working hard is something I expect and demand every game from players at this level. If Gerrard can't get them fired up for the opening game of the season something is wrong.

Fwiw I don't think it's a lack of trying that's been our issue. it's a lack of ideas, patterns and a working tactic.

Trying is not what I am getting at......if you are not as fit as the opponent, you could still be trying, but not good enough to compete, fitness plays a huge part, and then you have to apply it with desire.

but they are all inter connected.

Working hard is something we all expect, but it doesn't always happen, for a number of reasons, physically and mentally.....its not just a given, like some seem to think.....hard working teams are finely tuned and combined with talent, become a handfull.

Just one simple example amongst many......if you are second to the ball, how can you apply your talent...how can you create patterns, or apply intelligent play.....some things have to come first.....and the famous saying, was created for a reason.

Lower teams in the cup games, win against better talented teams because, they work harder and stop their higher level opponents.

Man City and Liverpool are all talented players but in addition, they never stop for breath......they beaver away with an incredible workrate, we have been missing that for sometime now.....why?. I wish i knew, fitness levels maybe not good enough...or managers have not driven them hard enough

I agree ultimately its the managers job to ensure, intensity, urgency and will to win, is applied......thats is part of the Psyche, and it takes time.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

You can’t tell anything from the first match of the season, particularly when it is against a newly promoted team.

I’m prepared for any possible result and will remain calm whatever the outcome.

Need to get a few more matches done before we can judge really how it’s going.

Seems very sensible. 

Not sure you took the same approach when we played a newly promoted team first game last season. 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2022 at 07:28, OutByEaster? said:

We're going to find out a lot about this team on Saturday.

On 02/08/2022 at 08:45, Rino8 said:

Don't envy playing promoted teams first game.

Win, nobody cares you should have beat them. Lose and you're ****, getting relegated with less than Derby.

True, we're supposed to beat them...but the mark of good teams is that they win the games that they're supposed to win. I agree with OutByEaster...we will find out a lot about this team, and if we win, it means we're better prepared and mentally tougher than last year.

Every season I start off the same way. Hopeful, positive, desperate for us to start with a win to really kick off the new season in style. Something to enjoy watching on MOTD that night. Last season I remember starting off like that and then Watford beat us and it was like a pin in the balloon of my hopes and dreams. I’m hoping that this year we will start off with a great display, some cracking goals and all three points. Will it happen???? I’ll get back to you in 24 hours time 😂