Pre match thread

alreadyexists

Anyway, I am off to bed, good night everyone. Can't wait for Saturday, hopefully our manager and team will do us proud and put Villa on top of the Premier League (if only on alphabetical order) for Saturday evening and with a bit of luck an early appearance with lots of praise on MOTD

• Like 1

This has draw written all over it for me.

Away, newly promoted team, Villa still unsure of lineup with debutants as well.

The optimistic will claim progress as we lost to Watford last season, they'll point to it being early in the season and that xyz looked good and will only get better when they 'gel/ get up to speed' and that we're only a player short of being top 8.

The negative will claim stagnation, they'll point to largely uninspiring pre-season performances and that xyz looked poor and have shown no signs of improvement from last season or coping with the Premier League and we're only a player or two from getting injuries that will see us fight relegation.

The truth probably being somewhere slap bang in the middle with average performances leading to average results leading to an average league position - 10th!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

The optimistic will claim progress as we lost to Watford last season, they'll point to it being early in the season and that xyz looked good and will only get better when they 'gel/ get up to speed' and that we're only a player short of being top 8.

The negative will claim stagnation, they'll point to largely uninspiring pre-season performances and that xyz looked poor and have shown no signs of improvement from last season or coping with the Premier League and we're only a player or two from getting injuries that will see us fight relegation.

The truth probably being somewhere slap bang in the middle with average performances leading to average results leading to an average league position - 10th!

I think we will win pretty easily. But it will pretty be like last season as soon as we come up against anyone decent. I agree with your prediction of 10th.

• Like 1

Bournemouth are certainly the weakest of the promoted teams, particularly with lack of investment and adding no one of real quality this summer, and anything other than a win will be poor. We need to hit the ground running this season and be aiming to win our first 2 games as a minimum (if not our first three), but first let’s focus on winning the first one. 

Solanke has never done well in the PL but was very good in the Champ last season so needs to be marked well. Billing also scored a few andAntony is a talent. But we are better in every area of the pitch, if we match them for effort and don’t get tactically outwitted we will be fine.

The team needs to remember what happened at Watford 12 months ago (although most of the team that played that day won’t be starting on Saturday thankfully) and ensure it doesn’t happen again. We have had a solid albeit unspectacular preseason and look harder to beat which is handy. I fancy us to not f*** up for a change and win here, maybe 2-0 or 3-1. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I’d be very negative if we drew. Probably the best fixture we could get of any opening day game (at least on paper). 

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I’d be very negative if we drew. Probably the best fixture we could get of any opening day game (at least on paper). 

TBH, I would prefer Saints or Brighton to a newly promoted team on their turf. It will have a bit of a cup game atmosphere which I think helps the underdog more

• Like 1

Hoping for and expecting 3 points.

Our squad on paper is much better than theirs so it's all about application. If we get that right then I can see a 0-2 or 1-3 scoreline. 

Starting line up will be interesting that's for sure. I'd go:

Martinez

Cash     Chambers      Carlos      Digne

Luiz    Kamara   McGinn

Buendia        Watkins       Coutinho 

I think the ones bolded are the ones that will definitely start. The other places are up for grabs. 

I think SG will pick the following:

Martinez, Cash, Carlos, Mings, Digne, Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey, Watkins, Coutinho. 

You could pick various starting elevens all of which should be better than them but we can't afford complacency. UTV.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Scott Parker saying Bournemouth will be the whipping boys of the league is a dreadfully defeatist thing to say. Imagine how demotivating that would be to the squad... Makes no sense to admit, even if true.

IMHO he is using reverse sycology.To get his team fired up......and,it could work.

5 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Scott Parker saying Bournemouth will be the whipping boys of the league is a dreadfully defeatist thing to say. Imagine how demotivating that would be to the squad... Makes no sense to admit, even if true.

If they thump us 4-0 we can have a good laugh at him for getting his prediction wrong. There is a positive in everything if u look hard enough :)

Listen...We need to impose our philosophy on them . We will be on the front foot and take the game to them. Never easy to play a promoted team away first game of the season but our pre season has been good. Nearly a fully fit squad and players with points to prove. 2 very good signings in central defence and midfield.  We are not going to get caught short this time.  2 1 professional win that will get ripped apart on here afterwards. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Hoping for and expecting 3 points.

Our squad on paper is much better than theirs so it's all about application. If we get that right then I can see a 0-2 or 1-3 scoreline. 

Starting line up will be interesting that's for sure. I'd go:

Martinez

Cash     Chambers      Carlos      Digne

Luiz    Kamara   McGinn

Buendia        Watkins       Coutinho 

I think the ones bolded are the ones that will definitely start. The other places are up for grabs. 

I think SG will pick the following:

Martinez, Cash, Carlos, Mings, Digne, Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey, Watkins, Coutinho. 

You could pick various starting elevens all of which should be better than them but we can't afford complacency. UTV.

I think your lineup is reasonable.  I think your guess about SG is reasonable.  and I think your lineup is better.  I could quibble possibilities on a few, but entirely reasonable.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2022 at 19:42, Peter Griffin said:

Anyway, I am off to bed, good night everyone. Can't wait for Saturday, hopefully our manager and team will do us proud and put Villa on top of the Premier League (if only on alphabetical order) for Saturday evening and with a bit of luck an early appearance with lots of praise on MOTD

Goodnight, Peter

We had a decent preseason, no excuse culture like Gerrard says will hold a lot of weight come Saturday. Anything other than a convincing win and performance will set a bad tone that we’re all too familiar with if we dont get the result. Bournemouth should be the worst side in the league, its a great opportunity for us to start well and build the momentum we’ll need for a good season. I think we’ll be ready and get the job done. Excited for the season now. Lets Go

0-3 (Bailey, Coutinho, Diego Carlos)

UTV

21 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

could be reverse psychology.

"They all think we are **** go out there and show 'em we're not.....nothing to lose.