Pre match thread

alreadyexists

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

could be reverse psychology.

"They all think we are **** go out there and show 'em we're not.....nothing to lose.

Not sure. It seems you could easily lose the fans, the squad, the trust of the board and your job with such talk. It's one thing to do a 'Brian Cough' - "Villa are the best team in the Midlands by a long way" before royally turning us over, and another to not only write off any chances of staying in the league but to anticipate humiliation too. It never sits well with the fans this kind of talk, and it seems a bit far fetched to think Scott Parker is trying to out-pysch the likes of Pep Guardiola or David Moyles, say, or our own SG.

Maybe he's talking directly to his rivals at the bottom, but I personally can't stand this kind of 'free hit' talk against the bigger teams.

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Not sure. It seems you could easily lose the fans, the squad, the trust of the board and your job with such talk. It's one thing to do a 'Brian Cough' - "Villa are the best team in the Midlands by a long way" before royally turning us over, and another to not only write off any chances of staying in the league but to anticipate humiliation too. It never sits well with the fans this kind of talk, and it seems a bit far fetched to think Scott Parker is trying to out-pysch the likes of Pep Guardiola or David Moyles, say, or our own SG.

Maybe he's talking directly to his rivals at the bottom, but I personally can't stand this kind of 'free hit' talk against the bigger teams.

I'm not suggesting he is trying to out Psych the opposing manager....I am suggesting he is trying to get something from his own team....I did say reverse Psychology.

Its not a popular format to use, its more desperation.....his only chance is to get them to out fight us, which what the lower teams do, in cup competitions.

I am absolutely confident.....if we turn up half-soaked, like billy big wotsits....and not be up for it......they will produce a shock result.

We need to be sharp, committed, and up for the fight, and put them to the sword.

Parkers no mug, my bet is he will stick 5 in the middle and try and dictate the game from the middle of the park. Meaning a forward players become isolated. I would start with Beundia Watkins and Bailey up front , dropping Coutinho. 😬 

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Parkers no mug, my bet is he will stick 5 in the middle and try and dictate the game from the middle of the park. Meaning a forward players become isolated. I would start with Beundia Watkins and Bailey up front , dropping Coutinho😬 

HAHA!

Stevie dropping his mate?? Not happening! If we go with McGinn and Ramsey in the middle then i think we will be overrun, . This game is a banana skin! We should be winning this one easily, but like Brentford last season a same on paper we should have won, we lost,  Gerrard grows a pair, play both Coutinho and Buendia, or drop Coutinho, either way Buendia must start! 

Also Ramsey on the bench with Luiz taking his place. 

Would also be tempted to start with Ings upfront and bring Watkins on later 

Always a tense nervy flawed affair first up, as we iron out the kinks and try and establish our game in the heat of real combat.

So I expect nothing short of a crushing victory, where the very memory of it will cause loathing and dread in the hearts of these seaside impostors.
The footballing equivalent of marking our territory, showing our superior plumage, and throwing one up the finest specimens available.

2 - 0

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

So I expect nothing short of a crushing victory, where the very memory of it will cause loathing and dread 

2 - 0

So Bournemouth to win right 😜

I still have nightmares of loathing and dread from our first game against Watford last year!

Edited by ender4
  • Sad 1

My team to beat Bournemouth.

Martinez

Cash     Carlos      mings      digne

Sanson/Luiz      kamara

Beundia

Bailey                                       coutnho

Ings  

Sorry but this game is not for Gerrard mates it's about so mcginn and Watkins ( both very poor pre season benched)

The roles of kamara and sanson/Luiz break play and advance ball quickly to the front line, alternatively keep the ball as all capable of retaining the ball.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62418195

Head coach Scott Parker says Bournemouth must embrace the challenge of the Premier League on their return to the top flight following a two-year absence.

Parker last week warned the south-coast club are "way short of where we need to be" following a quiet summer in the transfer market and a host of departures. The former England midfielder is working hard on recruitment but does not expect any arrivals in time for the weekend.

"We're going into the biggest league in the world and we worked tirelessly last year to be in this position," he said. "We need to bring a fighting spirit and a real determination on the weekend if we want to get something out of the game.

"Us as a group of players, along with the fans, the staff, the owner and everyone else, it's something we all wanted last year and we need to embrace that."

Some more now from Scott Parker, who confirmed that Ryan Fredericks and Joe Rothwell will be out injured for Bournemouth

"Ryan picked up a calf injury when we were in Portugal (training camp) and the weekend will be too soon for him," said the Cherries' head coach.

"The same goes for Joe, which is disappointing. They're two players that we've brought in and they've both picked up knocks.

"Joe will probably be slightly longer than Ryan in terms of where he is. Ryan is moving slowly, progressing in the right way and hopefully we can get him in and around the squad over the coming weeks."

I think with the general mood surrounding the opposition, our summer transfer business coupled with the fans, owners and manager's expectations, then anything but a win will be very disappointing. We have to start delivering on the opening game of the season!

• Like 1

If we win on Saturday 🤞 our opening game of the season stats since returning to the PL will be won 2, lost 2.  

(Thanks to Ezri with that header v Sheffield United, what a cracking start to the season that was, beating that lot!)

I think he’ll drop Mings, unsure if that means Konsa or Chambers partnering Carlos.

Watkins will start I think, hopefully up top on his own, behind him Coutinho and Bailey. I can’t see us not starting Coutinho, Buendia has looked better in pre season but he’s the star name and will be given the shirt to lose. 

Martinez

Cash Konsa/Chambers Carlos Digne

McGinn Kamara Luiz

Bailey Coutinho

Watkins

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Scott Parker confirmed that Fredericks and Rothwell aren't fit to play.   I have no idea who they are so unsure if it impacts their team much or at all?

Fredericks is the guy that should have been sent off in the play off final

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allani said:

I have only just really noticed that our first match of this season takes place on my 50th birthday (I think I've been pretending the birthday isn't happening!).  I kind of hate the fact that one of my big birthdays falls on a day when Villa are playing - feels like the whole day will be dependent on the result of the match.  So Villa - please make an old(ish) guy happy and secure a 5-0 away win for me!!!  I would be most grateful!!  🙂

Get over yourself and drop the “ish”.  Just admit the whole truth.   Despair > deceit. 

• Haha 2