Pre match thread

alreadyexists

Such an easy start I have gone back to having a £1 on 4:1 Villa

As on holibobs in Fuerteventura I found a bar that has the match on, but as I cant get onto my fave bookie site, I cant bottle it. I cant bottle out so its 4:1 all the way COME ON 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

As on holibobs in Fuerteventura I found a bar that has the match on, but as I cant get onto my fave bookie site, I cant bottle it. I cant bottle out so its 4:1 all the way COME ON 

Aaaaand you’ve jinxed us to lose again! 😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Optimistic we will win this one but knowing our record against newly promoted teams on the first day I half expect we’ll lose or draw! 

Bailey and Coutinho to get our 2 goals and Martinez to keep a clean sheet! 

47 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Such an easy start that it's sure to be a 1-0 Bournemouth win.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think he’ll drop Mings, unsure if that means Konsa or Chambers partnering Carlos.

Watkins will start I think, hopefully up top on his own, behind him Coutinho and Bailey. I can’t see us not starting Coutinho, Buendia has looked better in pre season but he’s the star name and will be given the shirt to lose. 

Martinez

Cash Konsa/Chambers Carlos Digne

McGinn Kamara Luiz

Bailey Coutinho

Watkins

Buendia instead of Bailey, Bournemouth will sit deep with no space for Bailey to run.

I'd like to see Chambers and Carlos starting, with Buendia over Coutinho and Ings up top for this one. Usually I would go for Ollie in a game against a newly promoted team where we would probably need the pressing upfront, but just got a feeling Ings with his new number 9 shirt will have something to prove and will get a brace opening day of the season

• Like 1

How can he drop mings for this. Against his old team and he will wnat go prove gerrard wrong. Should be mings and carlos at cb.

Im still uneasy with having konsa start after last season as he was generally shit most of the season

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think we’ll line up as follows:

Martinez

Cash.Carlos.Mings.Digne

Luiz.Kamara.McGinn

Bailey.Coutinho 

Watkins

Subs- Olsen, Konsa, Augustinsson, Ramsey, Buendia, Ings, Archer 

Agree. I’d be surprised if this wasn’t our starting 11 tomorrow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, allani said:

I have only just really noticed that our first match of this season takes place on my 50th birthday (I think I've been pretending the birthday isn't happening!).  I kind of hate the fact that one of my big birthdays falls on a day when Villa are playing - feels like the whole day will be dependent on the result of the match.  So Villa - please make an old(ish) guy happy and secure a 5-0 away win for me!!!  I would be most grateful!!  🙂

Happy 50th mate!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allani said:

I have only just really noticed that our first match of this season takes place on my 50th birthday (I think I've been pretending the birthday isn't happening!).  I kind of hate the fact that one of my big birthdays falls on a day when Villa are playing - feels like the whole day will be dependent on the result of the match.  So Villa - please make an old(ish) guy happy and secure a 5-0 away win for me!!!  I would be most grateful!!  🙂

It's getting to the end of the next 50 that's really difficult. Hopefully, we'll be top 4 by then.

• Haha 1

Appreciate what folk are saying about this being their first game back making it more dangerous than it otherwise would be, but given the gulf in class we really shouldn't be expecting anything less than a win here.

Saying that, my natural pessimism when it comes to Villa can't help but presume we'll see something like Diego Carlos give away a penalty after 5 minutes and we then huff and puff while failing to equalise because we can't have nice things.

Looking at the cold hard historic facts and taking into account this is Villa, this is a real potential banana skin fixture. Newly promoted team at theirs on the opening day, which is traditionally the worst day to play a newly promoted team on their home patch. 

All I will say is it is an opportunity hopefully, to get the season off to a good start. This is football however and opening day is the day when odd results happen. Couple that with this being Villa and I have no idea what the result will be :popcorn:

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How can he drop mings for this. Against his old team and he will wnat go prove gerrard wrong. Should be mings and carlos at cb.

Im still uneasy with having konsa start after last season as he was generally shit most of the season

Bournemouth have physical strikers so Mings should start

Looked poor from crosses vs Rennes without him

• Like 1

You can’t tell anything from the first match of the season, particularly when it is against a newly promoted team.

I’m prepared for any possible result and will remain calm whatever the outcome.

Need to get a few more matches done before we can judge really how it’s going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, allani said:

oldish.....you are a mere whipper snapper.

But sadly, its all down hill after this Birthday. Lol.

Ps Don't forget to get your PSA checked and do it every 12 months.....Prostate creeps up on you.

• Like 1