Pre match thread

alreadyexists

Only two weeks until this… I’m so excited for the new season! Come on Villa!

After preseason, I think Chambers has made a huge shout for a starting position, and I think Buendia and Bailey too are in contention for a start.

What a good position to be in! 

• Like 4

The bookmakers usually have a decent idea of how the season might pan out. This time around Coral have us 8th in the betting @ 250/1 to end the season as Champions, that's about right in my opinion, although I think they have got a little carried away with placing Newcastle 7th on 66/1:rolleyes:. Our opponents are predicted to finish bottom and are 11/8 against to stay up.

This wouldn't have been the time that I would have chosen to play them, if they are ever going to be difficult to beat, it is on the first day of the season at home. Our hosts got the double over us in season 2019/20 (their last season in the PL) and overall they have won 4 of the 8 league games that have been played between the two clubs, drawing 1 of them. The last four of those games were played in the PL and the first two in the early 1970s in the old Third Division, which included a game that many of us that were there will never forget in 1972, a 2-1 comeback win in front of 48,110 at Villa Park, and later that night in front of the MOTD audience (see below). It's time that we started a PL season off with a win, for the first time since 2015, when we won 1-0 at Bournemouth. Make it so Villa!:flag:

image.jpeg.ef0ec2ee1cedd3ce2ceca54e64b5a36b.jpeg    image.jpeg.3496fdea9e9a9a6084cedc0de2615dd2.jpeg image.jpeg.179a9144eb4f59392cb40c240b50ab89.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another pre season game to go but currently I’d go:

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Luiz Kamara

Bailey Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Gerrard will go:

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

McGinn Kamara Ramsey

Bailey Coutinho

Watkins

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It'll be interesting to see how well we hit the ground running, a good start like we got a coupel of seasons ago with a better squad and who knows.

First game is a bit of a lottery though hopefully we'll be lucky.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Another pre season game to go but currently I’d go:

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Luiz Kamara

Bailey Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Gerrard will go:

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

McGinn Kamara Ramsey

Bailey Coutinho

Watkins

I think you're right on both counts. 

8-0

Ings 4, Watkins 3 and Coutinho. 

Fans will moan Buendia was on the bench and we were too narrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Got the easiest fixture of the first round! Bournemouth probz rank 20th in terms of quality! We should be winning this one!

Yep and I think we will. Even if the team isn't firing as a collective - we have too much individual talent for Bournemouth.

Easy 2-0 villa win.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 19:00, Xela said:

8-0

Ings 4, Watkins 3 and Coutinho. 

Fans will moan Buendia was on the bench and we were too narrow. 

Subs used too late.
McGinn looked overweight and tired. 
Gerrard’s fault we didn’t win 9-0.

• Like 2