Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Was woken up at 5.30 this morning to my 2 year olds first independent poo. 

She'd woken up, gone to the bog, even putting her toddler seat on by herself and did a big massive jobby. So there was I staring bleary eyed at this Cuban cigar of a plop with my kid just pointing at it.

It's a good stage that, especially if they can get there as young as two. Some take a lot longer. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's a good stage that, especially if they can get there as young as two. Some take a lot longer. 

Yeah, we are actively trying to toilet train her at home and at school so I guess this is the success we've been looking for. Took around 5 months. 

My son pretty much took 24 hours. Nappies off, pants on. "Oh, you've wet yourself. That's not good. Shall we try the toilet?" "Ok Dad". Done.

• Like 2

Our 17 month lad just tried and mastered down the stairs by himself as of yesterday... yay, no more taxi service. Well maybe a month or 2 of quasi-independent going down, but crazy watching him decide I can now do this.

It's completely wild the discrete new things he can do on a weekly basis. Still partial to waking up a random night hours though. 

7 hours ago, villakram said:

Our 17 month lad just tried and mastered down the stairs by himself as of yesterday... yay, no more taxi service. Well maybe a month or 2 of quasi-independent going down, but crazy watching him decide I can now do this.

Hope the stairs are carpeted. Because the next stage follows as sure as night follows day. Overconfidence, lack of concentration, enthusiasm - and a tumble from top to bottom. Luckily they seem to have bendy bones, and usually get away with no worse than shock and tears. After doing it once, they tend to be more careful. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Hope the stairs are carpeted. Because the next stage follows as sure as night follows day. Overconfidence, lack of concentration, enthusiasm - and a tumble from top to bottom. Luckily they seem to have bendy bones, and usually get away with no worse than shock and tears. After doing it once, they tend to be more careful. 

My 5 year old fell down a couple of steps recently. Overconfidence and lack of concentration as you say. He decided he could hop down the stairs and not hold the banister. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leo started nursery about 2 month ago and whilst it's been fine, I've never never been so sick before in my life. Previously I don't think I had ever had the flu and had barely caught a cold for years. Between coughing, headaches, fevers, aches and general cold symptoms I feel like I've been ill constantly for the past 2 months. It's driving me crazy. Does this happen to everyone? 

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Leo started nursery about 2 month ago and whilst it's been fine, I've never never been so sick before in my life. Previously I don't think I had ever had the flu and had barely caught a cold for years. Between coughing, headaches, fevers, aches and general cold symptoms I feel like I've been ill constantly for the past 2 months. It's driving me crazy. Does this happen to everyone? 

Yes - with the first child. 

When my youngest went to Nursery I was unwell for a solid 9 months until I built up my intolerance. My second child i've been fine.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yes. And the little **** will keep you up all night as they have a cough. Apropos of nothing my grandson is currently chilling on the sofa with a cough and cold. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yes. And the little **** will keep you up all night as they have a cough. Apropos of nothing my grandson is currently chilling on the sofa with a cough and cold. 

Looks like mine may be arriving a little early, maybe January.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

It really does :D  My immune system is pretty shit so I catch anything going.  I was basically ill for 6 months.

One of my best mates doesn't have the same immune system issues.  His son went to nursery... my mate was basically ill for 6 months.

Enjoy!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Mine are 6 and we are currently getting little sleep with coughs, fevers and headaches. 

The beauty of having twins is that when one is ill, you then know the other is getting it straight after, prolonging the sleepless nights. 

Joy.

My lad is 8 now and has absolutely no interest in football. Constantly moans that all his friends like playing it.

I'm sad as I'd love to watch the footy with him and have him grow up playing like I did, but it's not to be.

29 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

My lad is 8 now and has absolutely no interest in football. Constantly moans that all his friends like playing it.

I'm sad as I'd love to watch the footy with him and have him grow up playing like I did, but it's not to be.

My boy showed almost no interest in football until he was about 9 when we moved house and he switched school. 

Like a switch he was football mad. Now plays for 2 teams and a cracking little player. I wonder how good he could have been if he started at 5 or 6 like many others.

He has 17 goals so far this season. Target is 25 by Christmas. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I hope he's not a Raven's fan. Poor child!

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

MIne still wakes up at 4am anyway

Not just ours then?! Between 4-5 every morning. Really tough the lack of sleep at the minute. Real challenge to actually do my job. Me and my wife alternate get ups but wow it’s a slog!

Just now, Villa87 said:

Not just ours then?! Between 4-5 every morning. Really tough the lack of sleep at the minute. Real challenge to actually do my job. Me and my wife alternate get ups but wow it’s a slog!

Yep same. Between 4 and 5. The amount of times he’s slept past 5am I can count on one hand. 

It’s horrible. On the one hand it could be worse. We can go to bed at a reasonable hour and get 6 or 7 hours, but still, being up at 4:30 every day is really shit. 

We alternate get ups as well, but it wakes us both up when he’s up so it’s always broken sleep. 

Id give anything to have him consistently sleeping until 7am. Even 6am would be completely fine

• Thanks 1

Â