Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

Staying at my mom's with the 2 kids

Daily **** arguments over "just stick the tele on" my daughters sick so my mom's answer is let's watch a film, if she's bored it's let's watch paw patrol, if she's an inconvenience put the tele on, she's refusing to go for a day sleep put the tele on

And then my mom's got a magical way of making me feel like I'm a word removed for saying no

Phones are the same, got a house full of toys, it's a complete mess with shit everywhere which is driving my wife insane but the only way my mom wants to spend time with them is watching videos on her phone... They don't play with any of these toys... And they're all getting another bag full at Xmas

I've also got the issue that my mom thinks brownies in custard is a treat that kids should get 30 mins before going to bed

And she confuses no added sugar with no sugar

Its crazy how out approach can be so different, I'm sure she's doing it on purpose because she thinks that's what a gran is

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Its crazy how out approach can be so different, I'm sure she's doing it on purpose because she thinks that's what a gran is

"It's what nanny's are for!"

Heard that one a few times recently.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'm sure she's doing it on purpose because she thinks that's what a gran is

My mother in law thinks she’s the best nan ever for constantly bringing around bags of sweets. She never spends any time with them or takes them anywhere, but sweets makes it ok.

My mom seems to think doing something with the kids is taking them to sainsburys and Costa coffee*

Which is then crazy to me because me in laws, who do live in the countryside rather than the town to be fair, are 9 years older than my parents but they want to take them for walks through villages and fields and to playgrounds etc

I shouldn't moan too much because I'm staying with them until new years but at the same time... I'm staying with them until new years and I don't want to leave my kids alone with them because it will be TV and chocolate

Me and my brother also have the row coming up with them because they will get our kids more for Xmas than us and all the other family members combined, it's absurd and unfair on our in laws who get £50 worth of stuff in 2 or 3 presents which is more than enough, not £250 and 30+ things

* where my 2 year old obviously needs a £4 hot chocolate and a £3.50 brownie -  are you **** mad?

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Staying at my mom's with the 2 kids

Daily **** arguments over "just stick the tele on" my daughters sick so my mom's answer is let's watch a film, if she's bored it's let's watch paw patrol, if she's an inconvenience put the tele on, she's refusing to go for a day sleep put the tele on

And then my mom's got a magical way of making me feel like I'm a word removed for saying no

Phones are the same, got a house full of toys, it's a complete mess with shit everywhere which is driving my wife insane but the only way my mom wants to spend time with them is watching videos on her phone... They don't play with any of these toys... And they're all getting another bag full at Xmas

I've also got the issue that my mom thinks brownies in custard is a treat that kids should get 30 mins before going to bed

And she confuses no added sugar with no sugar

I feel I could have written this exact post and the one you've done further down. 

None of the toys are being played with, just buying variations of the same remote control cars that will never be used for the sake of Christmas.

The spending towards children at Christmas now is disgusting and rediculous particularly given the economic climate.

• Like 1

We have consistently bought what we thought were good presents for my grandson and they are all unplayed with since last Christmas, this year he has a copy of Master of Puppets and a telescope. That will learn him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

We have consistently bought what we thought were good presents for my grandson and they are all unplayed with since last Christmas, this year he has a copy of Master of Puppets and a telescope. That will learn him.

Sounds good to me. Maybe add a bottle of Black Seal rum. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

I feel I could have written this exact post and the one you've done further down. 

None of the toys are being played with, just buying variations of the same remote control cars that will never be used for the sake of Christmas.

The spending towards children at Christmas now is disgusting and rediculous particularly given the economic climate.

My 4 year just likes unwrapping stuff. Absolutely zero interest in what's inside. I'm going to wrap up a load of empty boxes this year and I'm 100% certain he won't even notice.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Hope he/she is better soon 👍

She's alright cheers mate, 1st night of it was rough with snoring and heavy breathing meaning me and the wife watched her rather than sleeping but rest of it has just been like a cold, same as me

Means she doesn't want to do anything and she's tired all day though so TV is on more than usual, watched zootropolis 4 times in the last 3 days

• Like 1

Grandchildren status report: 

The seven year old is at school. She's fine. 

The three year old is also fine, charmingly funny and affectionate. 

The two year old is OK until she starts to get tired. At which point she turns into the hyperactive tantrum machine from hell. Pointblank refuses to nap. The tireder she gets, the more manically out of control she becomes, like a Duracell bunny posessed by the devil. It's exhausting. 

Anybody else having this experience? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Grandchildren status report: 

The seven year old is at school. She's fine. 

The three year old is also fine, charmingly funny and affectionate. 

The two year old is OK until she starts to get tired. At which point she turns into the hyperactive tantrum machine from hell. Pointblank refuses to nap. The tireder she gets, the more manically out of control she becomes, like a Duracell bunny posessed by the devil. It's exhausting. 

Anybody else having this experience? 

With the 2 year old yes 100%

There are days where she desperately needs a nap and refuses to have one, absolute monster from 2pm onwards, genuinely unlikeable asshole some days when she does it

Its what's causing the arguments with my mom, she can't comprehend 3 hours of peppa pig and eating chocolate all morning doesn't make her tired enough to sleep

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

With a baby on the way I now wish I had never entered this thread...

It’s absolutely shit mate. 

But the highs are more than enough to make up for it. You’ll love it. 

Think of this as a match thread 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s absolutely shit mate. 
But the highs are more than enough to make up for it. You’ll love it. 
Think of this as a match thread 😂

Post of the Week. 

• Thanks 1

Â