Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

9 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

My lad is 8 now and has absolutely no interest in football. (…) I'm sad as I'd love to watch the footy with him and have him grow up playing like I did, but it's not to be.

My seven year old is also completely uninterested, thus far. 

It’s not what I’d imagined, you think they’re going to be carbon copies of yourself, but I try not to feel sad about it. We share a sense of humour, we can play nintendo together, he’s a good reader, he’s almost too kind and too bright for his own good, he doesn’t mind when I play punk rock in the car. Last night he literally said to me right before sleep that he really doesn’t understand why Putin attacked Ukraine just because they wanted to join NATO. Maybe he’ll enjoy going to the football when he’s older. If he doesn’t, that’s fine too*. 

*If nothing else, I’m able to enjoy a few more pre-game drinks and use slightly more colourful language 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It was this morning, and it was gripping stuff. Percy the Parkkeeper in 'One Snowy Night'. 

One Snowy night is a classic of the genre. From my much limited research kids love that book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, El Zen said:

we can play nintendo together

As much as I want my lad to play football this is also big for me, got fond memories of both my Nintendo as a kid but then also playing a lot of games on rotation with my uncle, brother and cousin, we played tomb raider etc die or complete the level swap player

He will also have to go through the first 2 years of playing playstation together despite his controller being unplugged

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do people do this more than once?

**** that. Never again

Number 2 is the game changer. The little death that brings total obliteration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do people do this more than once?

**** that. Never again

My daughter just turned 2. We're thinking when we get the access to 30 hours childcare (Jan '24) we'll try for another one once my girlfriend will almost certainly go back to full time then. 

If you'd have asked me a year ago I probably would have said the same as you! She's an utter joy at the moment, now things like eating and sleeping have settled down to some sort of normality. 

1 minute ago, hogso said:

My daughter just turned 2. We're thinking when we get the access to 30 hours childcare (Jan '24) we'll try for another one once my girlfriend will almost certainly go back to full time then. 

If you'd have asked me a year ago I probably would have said the same as you! She's an utter joy at the moment, now things like eating and sleeping have settled down to some sort of normality

How? How do you do this? I have not had a proper nights sleep, or a bedtime that didn't result in pleading, bargaining or crying in 7 years. SEVEN YEARS!

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

How? How do you do this? I have not had a proper nights sleep, or a bedtime that didn't result in pleading, bargaining or crying in 7 years. SEVEN YEARS!

It's probably luck. Actually, I'm sure it is. We were just like any other first time parents finding our way via advice, books, and YouTube. We didn't implement all of those tips obviously, but something must have worked! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah **** it. I'm not risking it. I'm coming up to a year of no sleep and every meal time is a fight. It's not worth it

I might send this one back to be honest

Good move. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah **** it. I'm not risking it. I'm coming up to a year of no sleep and every meal time is a fight. It's not worth it

I might send this one back to be honest

Our little one is back in the hospital, and it's devastating, but I'd be lying if I said there isn't a little bit of me that's glad I can leave and get some peace and bloody quiet before I table flip. At least a couple of times a day I have a mental breakdown and realise I've ruined my life. Then she stops screaming and smiles or giggles, and for about 2 minutes, things are ok again. The despair is never far away though.

1 and done, already booked in the snip. I love her, but **** hell.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Â