Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Jesus christ. This must be amazing

Yeh, he wakes at 9pm and about 3am for a bottle and then slips into a milk coma each time. But it wasn't always like this so I totally feel your pain. I'm half expecting it to all go tits up and see a regression soon but just trying to enjoy it while I can ha. 

I feel his sleep got a lot better when he started eating solids. 

Edited by PieFacE

13 hours ago, El Zen said:

When would you say it’s okay for kids to get their own phone? 

We are supplying them a 'dumb' phone at secondary school age - and that's all they are having. If they want to stay in touch with mates online they can do that from a computer somewhere in the house that is public. The crap that can happen with peer groups with 24/7 messaging of each other is off the scale - so we are doing a China style ban. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Jesus christ. This must be amazing

You'll get there mate.  As I said earlier in the thread, the sleep thing can be ups and downs for ages until they feel fully comfortable in their environment.  As long as the little one is initially settling OK (which it sounds like he is?) then the rest will (eventually!) follow.  Our youngest - 2 and a half - had been such a bad sleeper for ages and has basically cracked it in the last 5 months, but woke up at around 5:30/6am every morning... until the last week or so where she's started sleeping until 7am.  It will sound ridiculous, but that additional hour is an absolute **** God send.

On nursery fees, yeah, they're expensive.  I've said in the energy thread, but we're basically forking out £2.5k a month before even reaching food 😐.  (£1.4k mortgage, £1k average nursery costs a month then £400 or so on energy).  Those nursery costs are for 2 kids, 3 days a week as my better half and I both work 4 days a week.  Thinking about it, we do get the 20% government tax bit so probably less than £1k... but yeah, and that's including having our eldest with 30 free hours.  You think it gets relieved when they start school as well.. but, nope, because then you've got to factor in after school clubs etc unless you're fortunate enough to be able to stop working at 3:25pm each day.

(But nurseries are also amazing because, and I love my kids to bits, **** being a stay at home parent full time :D)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

You'll get there mate.  As I said earlier in the thread, the sleep thing can be ups and downs for ages until they feel fully comfortable in their environment.  As long as the little one is initially settling OK (which it sounds like he is?) then the rest will (eventually!) follow.

Yeah he usually settles fine when we put him down, it's just when he wakes up in the night he has these uncontrollable tantrums. Before you'd be able to go in and settle him and he'd go back to sleep, but now there is no settling!

Last couple of nights that tantrum has come as soon as we put him down for the night. Luckily I've found a couple of ways to eventually calm him down and last night once he eventually slept he slept from 8-4 without waking. Which is a miracle for us at the moment.

He'll get there, like you say.

But the thought of having a baby that sleeps through the night and actually wants to eat food is incredible. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

**** being a stay at home parent full time :D)

Yep.

I mean I wasn't enough of a word removed to think it was easy before, but I have a new found respect for stay at home parents. Or even just moms on maternity leave looking after a kid full time. If I have Jack for one day on my own I'm absolutely **** at the end. I don't think you realise until you have one how draining it is to have to constantly look after them

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep.

I mean I wasn't enough of a word removed to think it was easy before, but I have a new found respect for stay at home parents. Or even just moms on maternity leave looking after a kid full time. If I have Jack for one day on my own I'm absolutely **** at the end. I don't think you realise until you have one how draining it is to have to constantly look after them

Moms are incredible.  The amount of thinking/planning/organising stuff my wife does blows my mind.  I take as much burden off as I can, but even still.. sheesh. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep.

Wait until you've got 2... Its a full time job and whereas for years before I'd have criticised people who chose kids as a career my wife is exploring job opportunities now and it simply doesn't make sense to work

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What about a tablet/ipad?

I'm thinking of getting my 2.5 year old a tablet for Xmas on black Friday, it'll be relatively controlled rather than just given to her, we travel a lot and my old ipad can't have Disney on it 

Said before as much as I wish it wasn't the case there is just nothing like a phone, tablet or the TV, today for example I'm at work and my wife is cooking, she just needs my daughter to sit still and quietly for 30 mins, there's not a toy or food snack or anything that will make her do it, the TV however... I don't want it to raise her but as a tool to control her for short spells there's nothing else that works as well, it's dangerous though, she can have some proper meltdowns when you take it off her or say no

Me and my wife argue over it though, she hates it, last week Thursday I was in the office all day walked home was knackered and I just wanted to cabbage on the sofa with my daughter and watch a Disney film whereas my wife wanted us all to go out on her bike

Edited by villa4europe

Jack's already obsessed with watching youtube. He won't drink his milk without it, and given the problems we've had getting him to feed we weren't going to try and take away something that helped him feed.

So I imagine he'll have a tablet with access to (kids) youtube as soon as he's old enough to understand how to use it

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Jack's already obsessed with watching youtube. He won't drink his milk without it.

We have a similar issue with Leo but he'll only have medicine when watching Hey Bear. Without Dancing Vegetables to distract him he just screams. 

(To which, the Hey Bear videos are great if you've not seen them yet. At least for us they are.) 

Edited by PieFacE

26 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We have a similar issue with Leo but he'll only have medicine when watching Hey Bear. Without Dancing Vegetables to distract him he just screams. 

(To which, the Hey Bear videos are great if you've not seen them yet. At least for us they are.) 

Yep Hey Bear comes in and out fashion for Jack. At the moment he's back into it big time (the birthday dance one is an absolute banger).
Simple Learning and Cocomelon (aka the devil) are also in and out of favour

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 22:32, El Zen said:

When would you say it’s okay for kids to get their own phone? 

We got ours one for her 9th birthday We wanted to get her something to listen to music on play games etc. It was a lot cheaper to get an OK android phone than an ipod and couldn't really see much else. 

She started middle school last year (year 5) a month after she turned 9 and has been good for her to keep on touch with friends and play games together etc. Although we do have to control how much she is on it as it would be too much if we didn't. 

She would definitely need it this year though. She was in after school club previously but we've decided to let her walk home. Until now I've only occasionally put credit on but will have to put her on some plan now though. 

I don't think she has a friend without one though so even if we hadn't got it we would be under pressure to do so.

It’s a different world now, kids have group calls on whatsapp whilst playing FIFA or Fortnite. They hang out digitally rather than in person.

Plus when they do go out it’s reassuring to know you can call them or they can call you any time. Also their location can be tracked (or the phone can be located if lost).

I use an app called Qustodio to lock down the phone to only child friendly apps and websites. 

Â