Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Fireman Sam?! 

My years of familiarity with kids' TV would be:

1956 - 1965 (my childhood) 

1989 - 1992 (my kids' childhood) 

2017 - now (my grandkids' childhood) 

If a programme falls outside those years, I may have heard of it, but I probably won't have seen it (especially if it wasn't on BBC). 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

My years of familiarity with kids' TV would be:

1956 - 1965 (my childhood) 

1989 - 1992 (my kids' childhood) 

2017 - now (my grandkids' childhood) 

If a programme falls outside those years, I may have heard of it, but I probably won't have seen it (especially if it wasn't on BBC). 

1989 to 1992 is absolute prime Fireman Sam time.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

1989 to 1992 is absolute prime Fireman Sam time.

Well I never saw it. Maybe it was a weekday thing when I was at work and they were with childminders. I only really got to watch kids' TV with them at weekends. Don't recall them ever mentioning it, either. Maybe they considered it to be a boys' programme? Dunno. 

Just now, villa4europe said:

I didnt watch it as a kid, I was more Thomas, under the trapdoor, count ducula, ducktales and a bit of postman pat

With those phases Mike you must have missed the pokemon cartoon? Golden era of before school TV

We never had the TV on before school. They were into Pokemon, though.  And your first list definitely rings bells for my kids' era. Probably also all that He-Man, Thundercats, Power Rangers stuff, too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We never had the TV on before school. They were into Pokemon, though.  And your first list definitely rings bells for my kids' era. Probably also all that He-Man, Thundercats, Power Rangers stuff, too. 

Yeah he man was more my older brother but definitely thundercats, I was the more turtles than him

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Same. My daughter was very much into Pokémon. Wouldn’t dream of putting the television on before school, I wouldn’t have moved her. 

My daughter goes through phases of watching various YouTubers. 

So much of it is dross. Proper mind rot. Spoilt kids soliciting for likes and subscribers by being ever more inane and loud. I’d genuinely rather watch an hour of Bing whinging. 

That applies to a lot of them - not all of them.

Fortunately she’s taking a bit of a break from it at the moment and she’s been watching a couple of Australian kid friendly sitcoms on Netflix, which for what they are, are actually pretty good.

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My daughter goes through phases of watching various YouTubers. 

So much of it is dross. Proper mind rot. Spoilt kids soliciting for likes and subscribers by being ever more inane and loud. I’d genuinely rather watch an hour of Bing whinging. 

Oh, Bing is paradise compared with the favoured choices of the two year old GD. 

Cocomelon, Gabby's Dollhouse, Blippy, Baby Shark. 

Kill me now. 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, Bing is paradise compared with the favoured choices of the two year old GD. 

Cocomelon, Gabby's Dollhouse, Blippy, Baby Shark. 

Kill me now. 

Mummy mummy ow eh ow make my boo-boo better now 😡😡

not long to go now, Mike, until you have to suffer shrimp glockenspiel on continues play , here is a look into the future 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Shocked 1

49 minutes ago, El Zen said:

This is peak Mooney 😂

Thanks. Remind me to interrogate you on the last half century of popular culture sometime, to see if you have any blind spots. 

FWIW, I've certainly heard of Fireman Sam, but having never watched it, I couldn't identify it from a cartoon still of a generic kid, with no other clues. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I didnt watch it as a kid, I was more Thomas, under the trapdoor, count ducula, ducktales and a bit of postman pat

With those phases Mike you must have missed the pokemon cartoon? Golden era of before school TV

It was aways the Turtles before school for us, and weirdly we used to watch the old-old episodes of Neighbours that were on UK Gold. 

In the winter the 3 of us children would sit one in front of the other in front of the 2 bar electric fireplace in the living. No central heating then. Later on used to have one of these in the hallway. Gas bottle in the back  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW_Cp52Lvx9a5w0KDO3u-

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thanks. Remind me to interrogate you on the last half century of popular culture sometime, to see if you have any blind spots. 

FWIW, I've certainly heard of Fireman Sam, but having never watched it, I couldn't identify it from a cartoon still of a generic kid, with no other clues. 

You know I’m really just man-flirting with you, buddy ☺️

Edited by El Zen
  • Thanks 1

Â