Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Clearly Gerrard and the club did which is why Carlos was our biggest signing of the summer. I personally think it's a hammer blow for us as it will significantly undermine the progress in playing out from the back. 

You seem desperate to get your defence of any failure we have this season in this thread. 

It's a blow but that's why we have Konza and Chambers. 

Replacement needed ASAP, I presume the club stats men have already got the top 5 European cb charts for various attributes so it's now a question of can we bring forward a signing we may have made next summer.

Gutted for the lad, looked like he was starting to settle in and then his season is over before he's really got started.

Chambers in for now is as strong as we can be in cb.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

You seem desperate to get your defence of any failure we have this season in this thread. 

Whilst that is true, we had them last season. And we were shit. Our new supposedly best centre back getting crippled putting us back to square one isn't exactly going to see us improve. 

What it is better than, is having signed noone and having see, say,  Mings get injured. So whilst we could be even worse off without having signed Carlos at all, we are definitely not in a better equivalent position than last season I regards to centre back

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's just my opinion. I was content with us not signing any more players as the two biggest problems we had were at CDM and CB. We solved those by signing the right two players and they had a full pre season. Losing one of them in my opinion seriously undermines the progress we can make this season.

Other people have called for another 8 or a CF and said if we didn't get one it would ruin our season etc. I didn't share those views.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's just my opinion. I was content with us not signing any more players as the two biggest problems we had were at CDM and CB. We solved those by signing the right two players and they had a full pre season. Losing one of them in my opinion seriously undermines the progress we can make this season.

Other people have called for another 8 or a CF and said if we didn't get one it would ruin our season etc. I didn't share those views.

I think we’re at the point now we have Kamara, where we should just be adding quality anywhere, and it felt to me like Carlos was that type of signing. Not essential, but an improvement on what we had.

I would have loved to have seen him shine for Villa this season, and I’m sure we’ll drop some points as a result of this injury. But I don’t think it’s a disaster.

An injury to Kamara or Martinez would be a disaster. Most of the other positions have decent depth, and the difference between the best and 2nd/3rd best players isn’t that big.

Anyway, just have to hope this injury responds well to treatment. It used to be a career ender, but I think nowadays it’s much more common for players to come back and find the same level they were at previously. Fingers crossed.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I often wonder if recovering mentally, from something like this is just as important.

I imagine it must be difficult to play " without fear " for a long time!

To answer that you only need to remember Dublin's neck injury. He came back fit but I remember him saying he has to trust his body again to put his head where it hurts....

• Like 1

Its a pity as now you see Nunez is easy to wind up this is one player Carlos could have got under his skin

I feel his shithousery would have wound up a few strikers into making stupid decisions

8 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Which study have you read for that number?

From the 'Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine'

Soccer players who suffered an ATR had a 78% RTP rate, with a mean RTP time of 5 months. Injured players played less and demonstrated inferior performance during the season of injury. With the exception of midfielders, players displayed no significant differences in play time or performance during any of the 4 postinjury seasons.

ATR: Accilles Tendon Rupture

RTP: Return To Play

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/23259671211024199

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â