Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I really wouldn't be surprised if he was back playing in Jan. There are different levels of achilles injury, maybe his wasn't a complete rupture and was a partial which heals quicker. The less time he's off a pitch the better, so if he's back out there in Dec then he's been 3 months or so off and the impact should be less. 

Having seen how we relied on Mings for playing out from the back against United I feel we badly need Carlos soon alongside Mings to give that variety of CB options for the pass. I still can't wait for a Carlos / Kamara core under Emery's coaching.

On other threads people are talking about Diego's return

Linky

People who rupture their Achilles tendon generally are back walking—whether they have surgery or don’t have surgery—in about three months. But usually the muscle hasn’t recovered enough strength to get back to jogging until around six months, sometimes even longer. Then the explosive maneuvers like jumping and pivoting and landing, those things take the additional time that gets people up to a nine-to-12-month recovery to return to high-level sports. 

My worry is Diego won't come back as the player he was. Typically, there is a loss of performance with this type of injury.

5 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Linky

My worry is Diego won't come back as the player he was. Typically, there is a loss of performance with this type of injury.

I worry about that too. It’s such a shame because he’s exactly the type we need, pace and solid on the ball. Another potential worry is that he didn’t even have time to get used to the league before the injury.

On 10/11/2022 at 18:25, fruitvilla said:

Linky

I wouldn't worry about the performance loss.  There have been a lot of improvements in sports medicine for healing Achilles separations in the last 15 years.  It used to be a career ender in the 80s/90s, now most athletes who are treated by the top surgeons and rehabbed properly can be back to 95+% condition in a year or so.  Like that link mentioned, the biggest hurdle is allowing the tendon time to reattach and heal fully, so you don't run the risk of reinjury during explosive movements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

I wouldn't worry about the performance loss.  There have been a lot of improvements in sports medicine for healing Achilles separations in the last 15 years.  It used to be a career ender in the 80s/90s, now most athletes who are treated by the top surgeons and rehabbed properly can be back to 95+% condition in a year or so.  Like that link mentioned, the biggest hurdle is allowing the tendon time to reattach and heal fully, so you don't run the risk of reinjury during explosive movements.

unlimited resources has changed the game

plenty of NFL players have had the same issue and are back to 100% in less than a year. different story for you and me

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Feb/March is still more realistic.

That said Everton home game was 17 weeks so presume by 5 month point he can start to get in light training and then another month of more intensity before we can involve him in squads and he plays a friendly or two at Bodymoor.

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

What kind of contraption is that? What's wrong with a regular treadmill?

It think it’s so you can feel what it would be like to have the body of a horse or a rhino for a bit. 

Edited by Tayls

Â