Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Wtf did the pace come from.  Was new to me in a villa shirt anyway 

He had it before the injury. He's been slowly building it back. Been getting a few niggly injuries along the way but it looks like he's getting close to his strongest now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Wtf did the pace come from.  Was new to me in a villa shirt anyway 

he always had it (pre injury).

There is a clip on youtube somewhere of him running half the pitch and keeping up with Adama Traore, granted he didnt catch him and stop him, but he started a metre behind him on the half way line, and was about a metre behind him when they got to about 15 yards from the goal, so obviously he isnt faster than Traore, but to say you can keep up with Traore over a 40% of a pitch sprint is something.

i did wonder ig the injury he had with us robbed him of some of that pace, but ye, havent seen that pace so much until this game.

• Like 2

good performances from him, I would still sell in the summer though.

Need a younger centre back for our mix of 4 and his wages are very high.

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

All for bringing in a younger CB in addition, but would keep Carlos too. We'll most likely not keep Lenglet and sell/release Chambers/Hause, those will be the wage savings in this area. Mings will be coming back from injury and that might take some time. So even if we signed a younger CB as a longer term options, would def want to keep someone who has now a decent amount of games for us to know the systems and also has good amount of European experience. Esp as it might be that Emery wants to keep going with Konsa RB at least some of the time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Agree on paper. It's dependent on Mings being fit for 25+ games a season though which will be really tough to gauge.

Don't think we'd have an easy time moving him on. Family settled etc.

Purely in a football sense, it would be a good time for a parting of ways on both sides with Diego and a few others this summer.

Edited by Tomaszk

I don’t agree on selling him. We’ll be short in that area. Lenglet is our 5th CB and we’ve started him for months. Chambers (6th) played with him as well. If we hopefully went to CL, we’d definitely need his quality as we saw this season, things get tougher. Even for Europa, games will be more with the new way. Add to that cup runs..etc

Although I agree on getting young CB, possibly the new Konsa. Even during those days we bought Konsa, Mings, Engels and Hause at one summer window. 

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree on paper. It's dependent on Mings being fit for 25+ games a season though which will be really tough to gauge.

Don't think we'd have an easy time moving him on. Family settled etc.

Purely in a football sense, it would be a good time for a parting of ways on both sides with Diego and a few others this summer.

He’s on my list as there is no way we could sell mings and I feel a club like us can only have one older centre back in its group of 4.

i think we should be able to get his book value back which is 15m euros

9 hours ago, switters said:

All for bringing in a younger CB in addition, but would keep Carlos too. We'll most likely not keep Lenglet and sell/release Chambers/Hause, those will be the wage savings in this area. Mings will be coming back from injury and that might take some time. So even if we signed a younger CB as a longer term options, would def want to keep someone who has now a decent amount of games for us to know the systems and also has good amount of European experience. Esp as it might be that Emery wants to keep going with Konsa RB at least some of the time. 

Yep we will get rid of the players you mentioned anyway.

we are going to need to cut all the players more or less where there is already two people for a position to meet the 70% wage rules uefa have coming in over the next couple of years.

if we get to the point of needing a 5th centre back it will have to be a kid or pulling a player from another position to play there 

19 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He’s on my list as there is no way we could sell mings and I feel a club like us can only have one older centre back in its group of 4.

i think we should be able to get his book value back which is 15m euros

At Mings age, with his injury, he will have a long way back to get close to his best.  

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

Ive been pretty critical of him and his underlying stats backed that up but his performances have been getting better and he was collosus in the Arsenal game. Replacing him is not a priority and if he continues like that Mings, Carlos, Pau and Konsa is a great back 4 to have. A young player to replace Lenglet is the only possibility I see. 

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Even more impressive as he tries more progressive passes than Konsa.

Absolutely, it's the intent to get the ball forward and quickly...

Of course some of his passes are safe as they have to be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://as.com/futbol/internacional/opcion-diego-carlos-para-el-milan-n/

Diego Carlos is an option for Milan
The 'Rossoneri' team is preparing a revolution after a season to be forgotten with the former Sevilla player as one of the options for the defense.

With all the fish sold, Milan are already preparing for next season. While the Pioli hurricane is still raging at the club, waiting to find out who will succeed the coach, the San Siro offices are beginning to evaluate the different options for the squad for the summer. With the unknown of Rafa Leão's continuity, on PSG's radar as Mbappé's replacement, Geoffrey Moncada, sporting director of the Rossoneri, puts the focus on reinforcing the defense with a name of his own, Diego Carlos.

Despite the runner-up finish, the season at the San Siro has had many negative points that will have to be solved to return to compete for the Scudetto. Pioli has not been able to find the right key in terms of defense, a team that has scored the most goals of the top five with 39 goals. The Brazilian center-back is one of the most popular names within the Milan board, the dream to make Maignan's goal a wall again.

The operation will not be easy, Diego Carlos still has two more years of contract with the Villans, who will seek to recover part of the investment with the transfer. Moreover, according to reports from Italy, the first talks have not yet taken place, although it is expected that they will not be long in coming. The summer for Milan has come early, the machine starts to roll at the San Siro

At 31 years old and after a serious injury, the defender has completed a great season at Aston Villa, third most used central defender by Unai Emery with 2,188′, only behind Ezri Konsa (3,831′) and Pau Torres (2,850′). The Birmingham side face the final stretch of the season with the objective of certifying the fourth place to seal their return to the Champions League more than four decades later.

I'm not sure about selling him - with the uncertainty over Mings and with Lenglet only being on loan, selling Carlos could need us looking at having to buy two or three centre halves in the summer and with Konsa a more than occasional right back I think it would be too big a risk.

• Like 1

Him and Tyrone turned 31 last month. Digne and Moreno will turn 31 in the summer. I like Diego alot but we cannot afford literally and figuratively for players to regress all at once and lose a half yard of pace. If we could sell Diego and bring in someone like Ronnie Edwards from Peterboro who is already battlehardened from 150 appearances and still only 21 then that might be a way to go. 

That said. Playing cb for us can be energy conserving . Maybe i will leave it up to Unai and keep my gob shut 😂

Â