Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

That % is worryingly high

I must admit I was surprised when I read it and it is very very scary. I wish I read it in The Sun or Brum Live but unfortunately it is from a reputable source. If 22% don't make it back to playing, I hate to think of the additional players that make it back but never regain their pace or mojo and return at a level below that before injury

I thought I'd be more upset about this. I think I've just learned to gird myself for terrible turns of events with Villa. 

I think also that after the opening dud, I reconfigured my expectations. 

I'd honestly accept mid table or even worse. Let's just get on with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I must admit I was surprised when I read it and it is very very scary. I wish I read it in The Sun or Brum Live but unfortunately it is from a reputable source. If 22% don't make it back to playing, I hate to think of the additional players that make it back but never regain their pace or mojo and return at a level below that before injury

His age and body type will make it unlikely he's ever the same player again.

The only hope is that he's getting world class treatment (Is he?)

Edited by maqroll

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He can have all the world class treatment provided but it is still not a guarantee he will make a perfect recovery with this injury

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I don't think Villa will be sending their 26m asset to anything other than a world class treatment facility. As regards being unlikely due to body type and age, is that real? where is that from? 

I guess we have to hope that the percentage among top-tier players who have elite medical support will be lower.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

I guess we have to hope that the percentage among top-tier players who have elite medical support will be lower.

Yep, that is the hope. I am assuming that Carlos is in peak fitness and will have the best treatment available which, to me, would suggest will increase the odds of a successful recovery

Beckham did it and came back and played for a few more years , Hudson-Odoi also suffered it recently. Closer to home Benteke did it and came back though arguably was never quite the same.

Futher back 2 players who suffered it Neil Webb ( Carried on but career nose dived afterwords ) and John Barnes ( never got his pace back ) 

Quote I've seen today is 7-9 months out 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Beckham did it and came back and played for a few more years , Hudson-Odoi also suffered it recently. Closer to home Benteke did it and came back though arguably was never quite the same.

Futher back 2 players who suffered it Neil Webb ( Carried on but career nose dived afterwords ) and John Barnes ( never got his pace back ) 

Quote I've seen today is 7-9 months out 

The real concern is the Benteke, Webb and Barnes examples and not getting back to his best. I doubt we will get any hint as to the return timeframe until next Jan at the earliest. Its a real bummer

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

What about footballers? 

I believe the use of soccer in the report is to distinguish between football we play on this side of the pond and football they play on the other side of the pond where they throw the ball to each other and catch it and run. The paper was written in the US by a US doctor. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I believe the use of soccer in the report is to distinguish between football we play on this side of the pond and football they play on the other side of the pond where they throw the ball to each other and catch it and run. The paper was written in the US by a US doctor.

I believe we also have a couple of games like that on this side of the pond. They both claim the word football as part of their official name.

I don't think Villa will be sending their 26m asset to anything other than a world class treatment facility. As regards being unlikely due to body type and age, is that real? where is that from? 

It just seems like common sense. A weakened tendon trying to support a greater body mass seems like it would make a full recovery take longer. And as people age, their recovery times can take longer.

I feel crushed by this injury, and can’t imagine what Carlos is feeling.

Just trying to accept that these things are always going to be part of supporting Villa. It never seems to come easy. Always one step back … Remember how just when Grealish was hitting heights with us, bam, out injured for weeks. It’s like, can’t we ever get a break?

I don’t mean to sound negative but it seems there’s a degree of entropy baked into every Villa squad. 

“And overcoming it is that’s what makes us lions!”

Nope. It’s what makes us finish 14th. 

One comfort is that he's a CB and even if he doesn't come back 100% the same, his game doesn't rely on explosive pace like say a forward's might. His experience can help see him through. Another good thing is that he was already really explosive for a CB, so coming down a notch probably won't put him at too much of a disadvantage.

10 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

78% make it back playing. That’s great news. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Â