Luis Suarez

maqroll

Here's the Telegraph article that was just published:

Aston Villa are exploring the possibility of signing Luis Suarez who is a free agent after being released by Atletico Madrid.

The 35-year-old striker is, of course, a former Liverpool team-mate of Villa manager Steven Gerrard and the club’s play-maker Philippe Coutinho who recently completed his permanent move from Barcelona for a cut-price £17million.

Despite his age, Suarez wants to continuing playing in one of Europe’s major leagues although it was believed his preference is to remain in Spain where he also starred for Barcelona after leaving Liverpool in 2014. It is understood he wants to play at least one more season at the top level especially with the World Cup in Qatar at the end of this year.

Suarez said an emotional farewell to Atletico fans earlier this month having fallen out of favour under coach Diego Simeone despite playing a key role in them win the league in the previous season.

It is understood that Villa are exploring the possibility of bringing the Uruguayan international back to the Premier League as part of the huge summer upheaval being masterminded by Gerrard.

Villa will not only have to weigh up Suarez’s wage demands but also whether, given his age, he will be able to cope with the physical demands of Premier League football.

Gerrard has remained in touch with Suarez and even received a glowing reference from his former team-mate when he inquired about signing Uruguayan midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur from Juventus in the January transfer window. In the end Bentancur signed for Tottenham Hotspur.

Villa have already moved quickly to improve their squad. As well as Coutinho, centre-half Diego Carlos – who Newcastle United tried to secure in January - is arriving for £26m from Sevilla and midfielder Boubacar Kamara has been signed from Marseille on a five-year deal after allowing his contract to run down. The club had shown an interest in Burnley’s James Tarkowski with the defender also out of contract this summer but a deal is now unlikely to happen. Everton are believed to have moved ahead in that race.

Villa will also expect to move on at least six players to free up finances and room in the squad as Gerrard stamps his imprint on the team after finishing 14th in the Premier League. Given the signing of Carlos and also targeting another central defender then Tyrone Mings would appear to be among the players whose future is in doubt.

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Can news be un-breaking? Unbroken. Fixed. Functional.

This is very fixed, non-breaking news. Been on the cards for months.

The sight of Luis Suarez coming off the bench to get us a winner will give me goosebumps. Also the draw and pull we will have with players like this at the Club. Will be brilliant for clubs profile

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Also the draw and pull we will have with players like this at the Club. Will be brilliant for clubs profile

The new far right and KKK members of the fanbase 😉

• Haha 1

I wouldn't mind it if it was a 1year + 1year option - like with Ashley Young.

Remember we can use 5 subs next season. The plan may be to continue Archer's development with a full season in the Championship, but still have three options (plus Bailey/Traore) for up front. Going to be hard to judge until the window is closed.

Might not be the player he was and won't start the whole time but this would be huge for the club, coutinho coming in has already lifted the profile of the club , this has similar affect, in a world cup year this would really help put our club in the spotlight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we can afford the luxury spending, even just having him in training day to day would be brilliant for Archer and the other young attackers to learn from. 

• Thanks 1

I’m not really sold on this one but when you look at his recent stats he’s hardly finished as a player.  Was it 35 appearances and 11 goals last season?

Free transfer on sensible wages? I’d probably take him for 12 months.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I’m not really sold on this one but when you look at his recent stats he’s hardly finished as a player.  Was it 35 appearances and 11 goals last season?

2 league goals in his last 12 games vs Alaves who finished bottom

4 league goals in 2022 and 9 minutes in 4 Champions League games when his team were desperate for a goal

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Year on year decline, over 35,  moving to a much more physical and quicker side which is going to have far less of the ball in most games.

Plus all the  bit bitey, daft racist  things as well its a no for me Clive

• Like 1

Smacks of a Pires signing to me.

We all get excited because he was a glorious player in his prime and we all assume he's still got it.

Then he turns up and he's absolutely useless and we wonder if we'd have  been better spending the money on something better than the managers mate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2 league goals in his last 12 games vs Alaves who finished bottom

4 league goals in 2022 and 9 minutes in 4 Champions League games when his team were desperate for a goal

Yet he still has a way higher minutes per goal ratio in the league than any of our strikers this season. Sign him up.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

14 minutes ago, Wes said:

I wouldn't mind it if it was a 1year + 1year option - like with Ashley Young.

Good comparison. And just like Ashley Young, this would be a completely stupid and pointless backward step of a signing.

Â