Luis Suarez

maqroll

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

Archer "getting games" shouldn't be a priority. Archer proving himself to be good enough to get games, yes I'm all for that.  MissIng out on a higher placed finish because we prioritized giving someone a chance rather than playing a proven scorer is simply not the way the club should be thinking.  

Our highest ever premier league finish (under BFR) was with a core of proven experienced players who had won things (Staunton, Houghton, Saunders, Richardson, McGrath, complemented by the odd homegrown player who had proven themselves over the past 2/3 seasons (Daley).  Nobody complained about that team, that finish, or that kids weren't being given games.... Yorke was dipped in and out and earned more minutes as he began to show he could do it.  But I'd argue that without the mentorship of the likes of Cyrille Regis, Yorke likely would have taken far longer to come good.

If Suarez can make us better, even for three months, then he absolutely should be brought in. 

All a great argument for why we were correct to bin off serial future trophy winner Gary Cahill to bring in Zat Knight for more immediate solidity ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

All a great argument for why we were correct to bin off serial future trophy winner Gary Cahill to bring in Zat Knight for more immediate solidity ;)

I know you’re joking but Cahill actually looked a class act at this level already! 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know you’re joking but Cahill actually looked a class act at this level already! 

I agree but it was the best immediate example I could think of for why it makes more sense *sometimes* to prioritise youth with an eye on the future.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Word is Inter and Marseille are interested. Who would pay him more?  On a personal level he will find it a lot easier in those league than the Premier league.  I’d go Inter if I was him. 

Pretty sure he might still be wanted by Italian authorities for trying to get a false passport 2 years ago 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Word is Inter and Marseille are interested. Who would pay him more?  On a personal level he will find it a lot easier in those league than the Premier league.  I’d go Inter if I was him. 

Also rumours about returning to Ajax.

But Inter could suit him, they do love their older players. If they only get rid of Lautaro they could have an attack of Alexis Sanchez, Dzeko and Suarez next season 🐘

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I'm not following you here or how that equates to my original post... Cahill had played in our first team and shown he was good enough, and he was sold because he wanted to leave when Martin O'Neill told him he wasn't going to be a first choice (in a top-six team chasing a champions league spot).  Our first-choice pairing at the time was Mellberg/Laursen.  He wanted to go to Bolton to get playing time because he didn't want to stay at Villa and bide his time.  His choice and the right choice if you look at the sum of his career. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate, Ings and or Watkins can’t score so let’s bring on Archer ?  I think Gerrard wants to keep his job longer than next season.

Archer looks a better finisher than watkins. Im not suggesting starting week in week out all im saying is that id rather archer gets game time from the bench than someone like suarez. I can see this being anothee robert pires

• Like 2

You can say many things about Suarez but the one thing in no doubt is that he would be the best striker at the club by a mile if we took him . Cannot run  overweight whatever. But like Ronaldo he can still finish from absolutely everywhere. Headers from a yard out and weak foot half volley finishes from 40 yards out. He still does the lot. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

You can say many things about Suarez but the one thing in no doubt is that he would be the best striker at the club by a mile if we took him . Cannot run  overweight whatever. But like Ronaldo he can still finish from absolutely everywhere. Headers from a yard out and weak foot half volley finishes from 40 yards out. He still does the lot. 

I have doubt over that.

I think Watkins would give us far more starting games, and I'd trust Ings (despite this season) to finish more than him if given a chance.

I do think he'd be a good impact sub for 20 mins if we're trying to win a game.

53 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I have doubt over that.

I think Watkins would give us far more starting games, and I'd trust Ings (despite this season) to finish more than him if given a chance.

Seriously, the stuff you read on VT. Ings being better at finishing off chances than Luis Suarez. 🤣

58 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I have doubt over that.

Not sure I agree with you on the Ings finishing front, mate.
Ings has missed a fair few 'easy' chances this season, or certainly chances you'd expect him to score based on reputation.

Our finishing as a team this year has been below average. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ings has missed a fair few 'easy' chances this season, or certainly chances you'd expect him to score based on reputation.

I think the reason for this is because he has been in and out of the team. I bet you give him as many runs up top as he has with watkins ings scores more

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We'll see, because it's probably happening. Although I doubt Ings, Watkins and Suarez will all be here.

Suarez isn't the guy that left Liverpool 8 years ago any more.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

We'll see, because it's probably happening. Although I doubt Ings, Watkins and Suarez will all be here.

Suarez isn't the guy that left Liverpool 8 years ago any more.

Agreed on both points. I've just been let down a little by Ings this season - especially on the finishing front. I think he should have 3/4 more goals to his tally. 

I don't see Suarez as anything other than a striker that raises the clubs profile and gets a few minutes here and there. He's not mobile enough and Watkins will offer far more. 

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Seriously, the stuff you read on VT. Ings being better at finishing off chances than Luis Suarez. 🤣

Ings has a slightly better XG this season 

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ings has a slightly better XG this season 

But Suarez (+2.0) has a better Goals minus XG than Ings (-0.3) meaning that he is a better finisher.

• Like 1

Â