Luis Suarez

maqroll

The Ghana handball was clever, if we ignored the fact that he probably could have headed it anyway. If it's going in handballing it is better than not, all fine with me.

The previous racism stuff is an issue, we have a nice South American crew that spend a lot of time together outside of training/games etc and I wouldn't want him to upset that.

From pure footballing reasons it makes sense, he's a clinical striker and can be useful in games we dominate with Buendia/Coutinho pulling the strings. Ings will be gone if we do sign another forward.

I'm disappointed by this. I think if we want an experienced wily striker that can come off the bench and grab a goal, then we have Ings.

I don't like Suarez's personality, but he's a winner and I'd definitely have him as a coach. I think he'd be excellent in terms of the influence of his attitude and the passing on of his knowledge to our other strikers - but as a player, and on a players' wages, I don't think it's a good idea - he's a long, long way past his best, he lacks any sort of mobility, he has no pace and he doesn't have ninety minutes in his legs.

Welcome Luis, but...meh.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Looks like it’s done great player to have around if our other guys are not scoring 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I'm disappointed by this. I think if we want an experienced wily striker that can come off the bench and grab a goal, then we have Ings.

I don't like Suarez's personality, but he's a winner and I'd definitely have him as a coach. I think he'd be excellent in terms of the influence of his attitude and the passing on of his knowledge to our other strikers - but as a player, and on a players' wages, I don't think it's a good idea - he's a long, long way past his best, he lacks any sort of mobility, he has no pace and he doesn't have ninety minutes in his legs.

Welcome Luis, but...meh.

i dont see anything implying its a done deal!?

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

We have, but I’m not convinced that we will get top 8 with Ings and Watkins as our striker options, with Suarez and Archer as backup.

Suarez wouldn’t be back up! He’d be a starter more often than not.

I can see what he would bring just being at the club and on the training pitch and even sitting on the bench. But I can’t help but believe the PL has passed him by, hence he will struggle to help us on the pitch.

With the signings we’ve currently made the glaring transfer now is an upgrade on the striking department and believe there is possibly one in the wings, Suarez doesn’t fit that profile.

he will get us extra points this season, no doubt about it. we desperately need to get more draws and wins and this guy can be the difference. I can see why some people think it will blow up in our faces though, it very well could do but the guy is such an enigma and i think he could do well for a season or 2.

• Like 1

If NSWE sign off on this it means they want European football next year. A free transfer makes his wage demands easier to bear, and he'll add depth and nous and edge to a naive side. I one or two year deal is OK with me especially if he helps attract more big names while he's at Villa.

• Like 1

It’s possible Suarez and Watkins could benefit from each other, with Watkins providing much of the work. I also don’t think Suarez is intended as a bench option playing minutes here and there, he’s too expensive for that to a club like ours. So I guess we’ll play two up often.

The question is where this leaves Ings. Sounds like he could be moved on because I doubt he’d be fine with potentially being third choice.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

3 hours ago, chappy said:

Try telling that to a Ghanaian!

Not the actual handball itself that bothers me so much, but watching Gyan miss the pen from just outside the tunnel and celebrating so openly, shows a lack of class imo

Oh come on.

Of course he would celebrate.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It’s possible Suarez and Watkins could benefit from each other, with Watkins providing much of the work. I also don’t think Suarez is intended as a bench option playing minutes here and there, he’s too expensive for that to a club like ours. So I guess we’ll play two up often.

And have either Coutinho or £35m Buendia on the bench alongside £30m Ings and £35m Bailey.

Also pretty expensive tbh.

Edited by sne

He's actually younger than I thought, for some reason I thought he was 37 or something, 35 doesn't seem that old for a player of his quality, obviously it's old in the sense that his career is coming to an end but players that have been as good as he's been are often still very good even in their mid thirties, of course he's not going to be as good as he used to be but thirteen goals and three assists in around twenty-five games worth of football on the pitch doesn't seem too bad, in the league his strike rate is better than that, so if nothing else he's still a very good goal scorer.

Of all the signings or strongly rumoured signings it's the one I doubt the most, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if ended up becoming the first to score twenty league goals since Withe or something like that.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I genuinely think he'll struggle to play ninety minutes again. 

Ever.

I can't see him as a starter.

If we sign him, for the money he will be earning, he surely will be a starter.  We won’t be paying the large signing on fee and probably £125k per week to be back up, that doesn’t make sense.

As for his stamina, I don’t agree but I guess we’ll see.  Proof is in the pudding and all that.

Â