Luis Suarez

maqroll

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Suarez might help us sign Darwin Nunez.

Or Giorgian de Arrascaeta

The sway players like Suarez and Coutinho has, is huge. 

Edited by Xela

1 minute ago, useless said:

Suarez might help us sign Darwin Nunez.

This was mentioned earlier and could be an interesting angle to all this. One thing about Suarez is no matter how good a finisher he is a front three of him, Coutinho and Buendia is very very slow. Don’t really know anything about Nunez but he does look pacy. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jeez I need to be at this party.

I'd be the little prick who plants the seeds in everyone's ears about the shite they've been saying about each other.

Then conveniently leave for another Red Stripe when it all kicks off.

Ooh Red Stripe. That takes me back to a time where I'd get shitfaced in JBs in Dudley every Thursday and wake up in a gutter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

People need to remember how driven Gerrard is to win, he isn’t bringing Suarez here because he likes him as a bloke he’s bringing him here because he thinks he’ll help us win games. 

Exactly. If he gets us a few places up the league, the extra prize money alone pays for his wages. Plus raises the profile of the club. 

I suppose I can see some sense in this. I’m just struggling with the change in mindset from hating anything even remotely related to Liverpool, to having to support players that (in my mind) represent them. At the end of the day I just want what’s best for Villa, and I trust NSWE and Purslow to deliver that. 

Would normally be against signing 35-year-olds well past their prime, but he's coming down from such a high level, a genuine all-time great striker, that I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Villa shirt for a season.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

All the commentary about Gerrard’s old matey club, does anyone know whether he actually liked/s Suarez? For all we know, Steven might think he’s an absolute rocket polisher of the highest order. It could all just be lazy paper talk.

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is even if they are mates what’s the big deal? If you badly wanted to be successful in your role would you employ your mates just because they are your mates? Or would you employ your mates because they are good at what they do!

In one of his recent interviews, he reckons Suarez is the best player he ever played with. Will to win, natural talent skill etc 

Edit: Poster above beat me to it

• Like 1

No idea if it will work, or what role he'll play (I'm thinking supersub and occassional starter is most likely), Suarez has consistently outperformed his xG over the years, which is what the world class strikers do. It's also what we've sorely lacked since returning to the Premier League. Having somebody who takes advantage of his chances and then some could be worth six to seven points over the course of a full season, and those points could be the difference between 10th place and Europe.

All that said, I completely understand the reservations many of us have. They're all justified.

Placement and composure is still there.

Mods: why is la liga blocking me from posting YouTube content on here?

Specifically a video featuring all of Suarez's 25 goals for Atletico Madrid.

21 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Placement and composure is still there.

Mods: why is la liga blocking me from posting YouTube content on here?

Specifically a video featuring all of Suarez's 25 goals for Atletico Madrid.

• Thanks 1

So much hysteria.

Suarez has operated at a level far and above any of the strikers we currently have. He is old and no longer at this peak however I can see the logic in bringing him in. I believe systematically he will offer more than Watkins and Ings with regard to understanding his role and bringing best out of the creative players around him.

Questions regarding age and $$$ outlay are valid. However, I don't think we have enough cause for concern on this point as of yet and the owners/etc deserve some trust in taking the club forward.

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In one of his recent interviews, he reckons Suarez is the best player he ever played with. Will to win, natural talent skill etc 

Edit: Poster above beat me to it

Pochettino was at Newell’s at the same time as Maradona. I’m pretty sure he would say he’s the best player he’s played with or trained with. Would you want him signed if Poch was manager?😄

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Pochettino was at Newell’s at the same time as Maradona. I’m pretty sure he would say he’s the best player he’s played with or trained with. Would you want him signed if Poch was manager?😄

Interesting analogy. I think the key difference here is that Luis Suarez is still alive.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Ooh Red Stripe. That takes me back to a time where I'd get shitfaced in JBs in Dudley every Thursday and wake up in a gutter. 

That’s not waking up in a gutter, that’s waking up in Dudley. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of his antics in the past are totally unforgiveable and as a person doing such stupid things, he has turned a lot of people against him. 

As a player though, forgetting them antics for 1 second, he'd offer experience and know how very few could to our team right now, with what we want to achieve. 

I don't think I could ever get fully on board, my 15 year old lad is well excited that chewy might sign for Villa, but I see the reasonings from Gerrard and the club. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26

Â