Luis Suarez

maqroll

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I genuinely think he'll struggle to play ninety minutes again. 

Ever.

I can't see him as a starter.

World cup in middle of season is going to be an issue aswell.

Always said I do see logic in this if we use him same as Atletico this season, odd start here and there but more 10-15 minutes off the bench.

If Gerrard starts him even 20 times next season he's completely lost the plot as Suarez just dosen't have the mobility for prem anymore, Simeone worked that out for his own club in last year.

Suárez would make more sense if it's as a replacement for Ings as the striker to come off the bench when we need a goal. Maybe bring in Suárez, swap Ings for Bissouma, and then bring in another younger forward option, Jonathan David would be good en raison de how versatile he is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

If we sign him, for the money he will be earning, he surely will be a starter.  We won’t be paying the large signing on fee and probably £125k per week to be back up, that doesn’t make sense.

As for his stamina, I don’t agree but I guess we’ll see.  Proof is in the pudding and all that.

You sure about that large signing bonus? It’s common for valuable players running down contracts, but Suarez transfer value must be close to zero. It’s not like we would be able to sell him and get a fee next summer.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yeah, the Ghana handball is an absolute non-issue.

I have lots of issues with Suarez being a nasty little racist but the handball was, if anything, kind of funny - in the same was as Maradona’s was if you aren’t English, or Henry’s handball against Ireland if you aren’t Irish. It’s probably for the best that VAR has killed that level of outrageous cheating but there is still a nostalgia to it ;)

Edit: actually I suppose VAR less an issue on the Suarez one as he got caught and it was just a different sort of outrageous - but I think my point still stands… 

Edited by Adam2003

18 minutes ago, sne said:

And have either Coutinho or £35m Buendia on the bench alongside £30m Ings and £35m Bailey.

Also pretty expensive tbh.

Small sums if you really want to be a top club though. 

11 in 20 starts last year. Would have buried a lot of the chances Ings and Watkins missed last season. He'll be a good option if he signs. Won't play 38 games but what a player to have in the squad. 

• Like 2

Just now, Xela said:

Small sums if you really want to be a top club though. 

Point was more that they are all as expensive or more expensive than Suarez is likely to be so having them on the bench makes as much sense as having Suarez on the bench, financially.

Small sums if the club is earning a lot of money, Villa are not. Not complaining that the owners are spending their own cash thou.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm disappointed by this. I think if we want an experienced wily striker that can come off the bench and grab a goal, then we have Ings.

I don't like Suarez's personality, but he's a winner and I'd definitely have him as a coach. I think he'd be excellent in terms of the influence of his attitude and the passing on of his knowledge to our other strikers - but as a player, and on a players' wages, I don't think it's a good idea - he's a long, long way past his best, he lacks any sort of mobility, he has no pace and he doesn't have ninety minutes in his legs.

Welcome Luis, but...meh.

This is where I’m at. Will be genuinely surprised if he’s starting games or playing 60 minutes plus. He’s not going to be pressing defences up top himself also there’s no way. Some of the scraps and hoof ball ollies working off rely on his movement and Suarez won’t have it 

I don’t like the guy but I don’t particularly like most footballers nowadays. Based on his goalscoring record I would take him. In his entire career if he has played more than 15 games he’s got into double figures for a season. Yes he’s getting older but he is a proper goal scorer, you also have to bare in mind how much our younger players will learn from him. I also think we will definitely sign him. 

3 hours ago, chappy said:

I was 20 at the time and wouldn’t have done it, don’t think him being young makes it ok to be a word removed 

He is a bit of a word removed, but not because he celebrated his team saving a penalty.

I think Suarez can be useful for us in a few ways; 

A) Impact player. He won’t last an entire game, but he can certainly help us out if we are chasing a goal. He certainly knows where the net is. 

2) He is always looking to get an advantage for his team. We need someone like this. Some of our players lack the ability to cheat a little bit. I’m fed up of seeing it done against us. 

D) He can be useful for this image that we are trying to create, that people want to be part of. Coutinho has helped that no end!

So is he going to get us 25/30 goals a season? No he isn’t, but his contribution in other ways COULD be absolutely vital.  

Edited by Tayls

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

You sure about that large signing bonus? It’s common for valuable players running down contracts, but Suarez transfer value must be close to zero. It’s not like we would be able to sell him and get a fee next summer.

Not sure but he has suitors for his signature across Europe, it’s common place for free transfers to get large signing on fees, he can still command a fee.  Even the elder statesmen of football in the mid thirties at the level Suarez was at get nice signing on fees.  Who knows but I’d be surprised if he didn’t!

21 minutes ago, useless said:

Suárez would make more sense if it's as a replacement for Ings as the striker to come off the bench when we need a goal. Maybe bring in Suárez, swap Ings for Bissouma, and then bring in another younger forward option, Jonathan David would be good en raison de how versatile he is.

Or we could bypass all the prior bits and just bring in Jonathan David then?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I genuinely think he'll struggle to play ninety minutes again. 

Ever.

I can't see him as a starter.

He hasnt done it since the 6th of February, worrying part is he is/was Atletico one of only 2 recognised strikers

The other one got 6 goals but was trusted more than him

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Why are people talking as if this is done?

I think because it’s the most open secret that it’s going to happen of the summer! It’s just when he will sign and not if now.

Â