Luis Suarez

maqroll

55 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I had forgotten how good he was! Nice video. 

All those goals wooow. Leaving aside the penalties and maybe Danny Ings coverts 50-60% of them, Ollie perhaps 30%. Ollie brings other things to the team I guess, so perhaps we keep Ollie and include Danny in any deal for Bissouma and sign Suarez on a free. Also this gives Archer time and encouragement to develop. 

30 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Interesting analogy. I think the key difference here is that Luis Suarez is still alive.

He does have that over Maradona, that is true.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Some of his antics in the past are totally unforgiveable and as a person doing such stupid things, he has turned a lot of people against him. 

As a player though, forgetting them antics for 1 second, he'd offer experience and know how very few could to our team right now, with what we want to achieve. 

I don't think I could ever get fully on board, my 15 year old lad is well excited that chewy might sign for Villa, but I see the reasonings from Gerrard and the club. 

You’re right his past issues aren’t great. However I think he has worked to get past them and Gerrard speaks highly of him as a player and a person. The support he received from Liverpool players at the time was huge, he’s clearly well liked personally. Ok at the time we all used it as a stick to beat him and Liverpool, that’s what football fans do. 

Very few of us haven’t done or said things we later regret but generally only our friends and family remember them and so care enough to cut us some slack and forgive us. I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable having my life played out in front of the whole world for all to see. We can jump on the moral bandwagon all we want, when it suits us but he who is without sin and all that. 

He’s still got more than enough to improve us over the next couple of years.  Sign him up and let’s have Colgate on board as our shirt sponsors next season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't think were signing him, purely on the basis that he's available and we haven't done it yet. The rest of our business is so quick and this wouldn't be complicated.

Signed him a couple of weeks ago, we’re just playing with them now. 😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't think were signing him, purely on the basis that he's available and we haven't done it yet. The rest of our business is so quick and this wouldn't be complicated.

This isn’t one that needs to be done quickly. I will be amazed if Suarez isn’t playing for us next season. 

• Like 1

We all go to football games where thousands of the people there are disgusting racist violent coked up thugs. Yet we focus on stupid antics Suarez did a decade ago when he was a stupid kid. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

We all go to football games where thousands of the people there are disgusting racist violent coked up thugs. Yet we focus on stupid antics Suarez did a decade ago when he was a stupid kid. 

You’re possibly being a little harsh on the vast majority of football fans at matches but I agree with your point. 

In the Liverpool documentary Being Liverpool, he actually came across as really quiet and nice. It's always stuck with me!

Sure then he went on to do and say other things, but his core character didn't seem to be an arsehole. Incidentally, this seems to be a phrase that might work with a lot of people (more or less nice people saying and doing bad things).

Edited by Rolta

11 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

All the commentary about Gerrard’s old matey club, does anyone know whether he actually liked/s Suarez? For all we know, Steven might think he’s an absolute rocket polisher of the highest order. It could all just be lazy paper talk.

He was captain when Liverpool arranged their solidarity with racism shirts wasn't he? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WHY said:

This isn’t one that needs to be done quickly. I will be amazed if Suarez isn’t playing for us next season. 

That’s right the window isn’t even officially open yet. Seasons are just ending and he’s probably got a couple of weeks in Bognor Regis with the wife and kids booked before he thinks about signing anything. 

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

In the Liverpool documentary Being Liverpool, he actually came across as really quiet and nice. It's always stuck with me!

Sure then he went on to do and say other things, but his core character didn't seem to be an arsehole. Incidentally, this seems to be a phrase that might work with a lot of people (more or less nice people saying and doing bad things).

Gerrard is good friends with him. Messi is great friends with him too. I assume he's a nice chap and just did some really stupid things in the heat of battle he regrets. Can't let incidents like that define a person otherwise everyone is guilty for any stupid mistake they've ever made

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Gerrard is good friends with him. Messi is great friends with him too. I assume he's a nice chap and just did some really stupid things in the heat of battle he regrets. Can't let incidents like that define a person otherwise everyone is guilty for any stupid mistake they've ever made

Forgiveness requires contrition, of which he has shown none.

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

That’s generally the case with people like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

All those goals wooow. Leaving aside the penalties and maybe Danny Ings coverts 50-60% of them, Ollie perhaps 30%. Ollie brings other things to the team I guess, so perhaps we keep Ollie and include Danny in any deal for Bissouma and sign Suarez on a free. Also this gives Archer time and encouragement to develop. 

Yeah we need someone who can bury clear chances and knock in half chances too, bit like Ings was a couple of seasons ago. Instead we give especially Watkins 2-3 absolutely gilt edged chances and they usually all get wasted 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I’ve muttered plenty of horrible things under my breath about posters on here sometimes and I’m a lovely bloke. 😇

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s not waking up in a gutter, that’s waking up in Dudley. 

That's the beauty about growing up in Dudley. You always take the gutter with you wherever you go.

• Haha 1

I think we've discussed the Evra incident before on here and reading all about it (his side) it seems more of stupidity on his side as oppose to outright racism.

As I am now fully aware (and I did not even know this at the time), in English there is a word that is spelled the same way but is pronounced differently and it is highly offensive: negro, pronounced nee-gro. Negro (pronounced neh-gro) in Spanish means “black”, nothing more. It is not in itself an insult. Now, people will say: “Okay, but you said ‘black’ – you shouldn’t have.” But Evra had started the argument in Spanish and the Spanish language is full of these ways of addressing someone: “Guapo” (handsome), “Gordo” (fatty), “Flaco” (skinny), “Rubio” (blond), and so on. Just names based on physical characteristics, nothing more. Negro can refer to anyone with dark hair as well as dark skin and I’ve been used to the word being used in Spanish in this way all my life. My wife sometimes calls me “Negro” or (the diminutive version) “Negrito”. My grandmother used to call my grandfather “Negrito” and she would occasionally call me that too. I’m not trying to pretend it was meant in a friendly way to Evra because clearly we were arguing. But nor was it ever meant as a racist slur.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/26/luis-suarez-am-i-a-racist-no-absolutely-not-i-was-horrified

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

He was captain when Liverpool arranged their solidarity with racism shirts wasn't he? 

I’m amazed Gerrard would ever want to give the public more opportunity to talk about that again. Which they will if we sign him.

32 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re right his past issues aren’t great. However I think he has worked to get past them and Gerrard speaks highly of him as a player and a person. The support he received from Liverpool players at the time was huge, he’s clearly well liked personally. Ok at the time we all used it as a stick to beat him and Liverpool, that’s what football fans do. 

Very few of us haven’t done or said things we later regret but generally only our friends and family remember them and so care enough to cut us some slack and forgive us. I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable having my life played out in front of the whole world for all to see. We can jump on the moral bandwagon all we want, when it suits us but he who is without sin and all that. 

He’s still got more than enough to improve us over the next couple of years.  Sign him up and let’s have Colgate on board as our shirt sponsors next season. 

Putting to one side that he's a word removed for a second, I'm sure he could do a job for us. He's a naturally talented player who destroyed defences when he was in his prime. 

Unfortunately he's also a word removed.

Â