Summarise the Season - 21/22

Tayls

With another end to the season looming it would be interesting to gather some final thoughts on how it has gone.

Obviously there was some pretty major changes both at the start and during the campaign which have kind of skewed our path a little bit. If we had stuck with Smith, would we have dropped? Or would we have pushed on and fought for that top 11 spot to improve on the season before? Gerrard’s results have us placed inside the top 10 based on the games he has managed us for, can he continue that next season and get us further up the table?

For me, and somewhat most disappointingly is this: 

3E0C3E53-4187-4D0C-9E8C-1BB8B43B2825.thumb.jpeg.acf88e8634a17f91fbd2fa5812fe626d.jpeg

We have played 15 games against this lot, and lost 13 of them. And let’s face it, it’s likely to be 16 played and 14 lost after tomorrow! This is the area of the table where we are supposed to be, we surely have to start winning some games against these teams next season. Strangely we seemed to have the better of United, for the first time ever. Arguably we should have been the ones to progress in the FA Cup as well because we battered them at their place. So good to see for a change. 

It has been a strange old season. One where I was largely negative about our form and expected finishing position. But I do feel somewhat confident about the next one… however, there are so many things that we need to get right over the summer. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

Hugely frustrating and disappointing.  Sacking Dean Smith was supposed to be the lift for the club but, apart from bringing in a couple of quality players, it has been no better under Gerrard really.  Hope for a really good summer. with quality signings and as a once underwhelming Manager used to so, 'we go again'.   I think we need at least four players to make us much more competitive, but we have to build bit by bit as I don't expect those four players to lift us into the top 6 just yet.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Shit

Wouldn't go as far as shit. A let down, not a disaster. 

We are 10 points from relegation places. We are also 10 points from Europe. I'd argue we can improve by 3/4 wins next season and be up there for 7th or 8th place. 

That's will be a good season. 

• Like 1

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ef92jgerstyq9i7kjl

Didn’t start well, losing Grealish so had to find a way to play without him.

Indifferent form saw the demise of Smith so another set back.

Had a new manager bounce followed by more inconsistent results but managed to sign a world class player in Coutinho.

Recently a lot of results are ‘what could’ve beens’ if we took our  created chances we’d have picked up more points.

At least the club have identified where we need to improve squad-wise, which will hopefully be properly addressed in the transfer window.

we’ll improve next season for sure and fancy us having a good cup run or two. 

(apologies if this is bordering on optimism, which may not fit in with the current miserable rhetoric)

• Like 2

In general, I'd say mediocre. 

Some very good bits, some very poor bits and a lot of 'meh' bits. 

It started poorly and was never really going to be a great season when you factor in losing your iconic player, then changing manager and then bringing in someone who plays a slightly different shape/style. Just feels very transitional this season. Saying that, we're one of a clump of teams in the middle of the league - 6 points off 8th but 6 points ahead of Everton. 

Looking forward to seeing who we sign and how we will line up next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

With another end to the season looming it would be interesting to gather some final thoughts on how it has gone.

Obviously there was some pretty major changes both at the start and during the campaign which have kind of skewed our path a little bit. If we had stuck with Smith, would we have dropped? Or would we have pushed on and fought for that top 11 spot to improve on the season before? Gerrard’s results have us placed inside the top 10 based on the games he has managed us for, can he continue that next season and get us further up the table?

For me, and somewhat most disappointingly is this: 

3E0C3E53-4187-4D0C-9E8C-1BB8B43B2825.thumb.jpeg.acf88e8634a17f91fbd2fa5812fe626d.jpeg

We have played 15 games against this lot, and lost 13 of them. And let’s face it, it’s likely to be 16 played and 14 lost after tomorrow! This is the area of the table where we are supposed to be, we surely have to start winning some games against these teams next season. Strangely we seemed to have the better of United, for the first time ever. Arguably we should have been the ones to progress in the FA Cup as well because we battered them at their place. So good to see for a change. 

It has been a strange old season. One where I was largely negative about our form and expected finishing position. But I do feel somewhat confident about the next one… however, there are so many things that we need to get right over the summer. 

On the other hand it does seem to indicate we are get some sort of consistency in beating the rest of the league. It’s pointless nicking points off the big boys then losing to everyone around you. Whilst I’m disappointed we lost all these games against teams above us games such as Watford and Brentford  annoy me more. 

Frustrating and annoying. 

We ended last season with 55 pts and Smith and Grealish on the North stand and in the space of 12 months the club feels very different. 

Exciting future but this has been a very frustrating year.

I’d say disjointed and bitty. Could have been better. We seem to have become plucky underdogs against the top 6 again whereas last season we went toe to toe against them and had some wonderful victories against the sky 6 except Manchester.

• Like 1

Average, midtable mediocrity...

Many of the players seem to be about midtable level.

Ask yourself truly and objectively how many of our current players would get into a top six first-team?

We are way off, six home wins is also awful.

Home form needs to be a priority for next season and hopefully top ten with a bit of luck but I worry Newcastle will ruin everything over the next few seasons....

Miserable and deflating after a positive 3 years. 

We have played dire turgid football, been useless vs the top 8 and brought in a guy as manager out of his depth. No cup runs either

If the new season started tomorrow I would back us for relegation considering the squad we have is embarrassing to think about 

1 hour ago, STO said:

Hugely frustrating and disappointing.  Sacking Dean Smith was supposed to be the lift for the club but, apart from bringing in a couple of quality players, it has been no better under Gerrard really.  Hope for a really good summer. with quality signings and as a once underwhelming Manager used to so, 'we go again'.   I think we need at least four players to make us much more competitive, but we have to build bit by bit as I don't expect those four players to lift us into the top 6 just yet.  

My thoughts exactly!

Incredibly poor and, arguably, unacceptable SINCE Gerrard took over.

Smith could argue we were still dealing with the transition of Grealish's departure and new players bedding in. We also had a few injuries at that point I believe and ongoing Covid issues. I think he left at the right time as it would be horrible if that relationship had gone sour.

Then in comes Gerrard with the almost inevitable bounce. But, since then, have we really done any better or had sustained periods of success or an improved style of play? Instrumental in bringing in Coutinho, small bounce then back to mediocrity at best. So many poor results, playing awfully against bad teams when we had a full strength squad that had been playing together much longer.

We will finish this season 14th. Howe massively improved Newcastle who could actually finish top half and they were dead and buried. Everton, who have just secured safety could, possibly, finish the season three points behind us. They too were doomed only a few months ago.

The more you look at the season, the worse it looks. Multiple runs without wins and poor home form.

I'm more worried we're going into next season with a downward trajectory.

Â