Summarise the Season - 21/22

Tayls

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I think the season was set up to failure, not on purpose, but by poor planning.

The club new Jack was out the door and don't believe they really understood what that meant and at the last minute came up with the 3 signings narrative. Two of Smith's lieutenants walked out the door and again there seemed to be no planning around this change. This led to a poor start in the league and ultimately Smith losing his job.

This had a huge impact on the rest of the season, with players who probably didn't want Smith to go, but also used to the other voices and how they delivered information.

Enter Gerrard and his entourage. Can he bring his style of play and success to the club? He did well the first few weeks with wins, but the players ultimately were finding it difficult to make the transition to a different style and voices while in the pressure cooker of the PL. There's been some high points and some low points, but the two stand out issues remain of leaking soft goals from errors and not being clinical in front of goal. In my mind the team left 10-12 points out there during the season because of these failures. The lack of a DM especially after Nakamba's injury also played a huge part in the second half of the season.

I believe we're a better team than our position suggests, we're not that far from the top 6-8 teams and the off season will play a huge role in whether we can take that step. We will know by the World Cup break whether the Gerrard experiment is going to be a success, but nothing less than 7th or higher next season can be seen as acceptable.

The CB partnership needs and overhaul, we need that quality DM and CM and we need a 3rd striker to put pressure on Ings and Watkins.

UTV.

I’d agree with that but I’d accept an 8-10 league position and a couple of very good cup runs (and preferably a cup at the end of one!)

• Like 1

A disappointing second half of the season before was followed by very alarming poor form this season. Something had to give and did.

A brave appointment. Worked a treat to begin with a superb Jan window but it's been streaky and rollercoaster like. We are in the cliche transitional season. Our team has been a bit unbalanced with too many players struggling for top form.

I like the manager, how he wants to play and his honesty and candour about where we are. He knows we need to be better and we will be. So this season is a necessary evil I guess. Just a bit more consistency would have seen us 5 or 6 players higher. A few more of the right kind of players will see us a couple of places higher again.

Big, big summer ahead. Can't wait.

18 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Low spending teams finish in the top 10 every season, Brighton and possibly even Brentford do it this year. If signing three more 30m players can’t get us three more points and thus into the top half, why do we even try?

OK so you mention one low spending team finishing in the top 10.  That leaves 9 other teams in the top 10 who do spend big money.  So there is a 90% better chance of finishing in the top 10 if you spend money than if you don't....

We can sign who we want but that collapse to defeat just shows you we have a weak mentality top to bottom as a club. When the pressure is on they collapse like a house of cards. How does this change? I don't have an answer to that.

Until it does it's mid to lower reaches of the table forever.

Edited by Pissflaps

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I stand by this 

It certainly isn’t a culture centred around winning that’s for sure. 

14 defeats from 16 confirmed. Dreadful. 

You couldn't end the season worse than that. 3 goals in 5 mins is utterly crushing. Probably won't recover mentally from this ever this team. We'll look back on this as the moment

If ever there's a game that sums up our lack of mentality it's that.

Just collapse as soon as we concede a goal. Never going to achieve anything major again as a club until we rid ourselves of that instinct to implode when other teams come massively onto us.

Given Liverpool won I get the feeling Gerrard would relish kung fu kicking a few of them in dressing room if he was allowed.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

You couldn't end the season worse than that. 3 goals in 5 mins is utterly crushing. Probably won't recover mentally from this ever this team. We'll look back on this as the moment

At least we've got 3 months to get over this one.

Doing the same v Wolves cost DS his job.

I guess in long run it might benefit as Gerrard won't forgive some of those out on the pitch for folding given Liverpool won in the end.

O.k game meant nothing to us and everything to Man. City but losing the game in that manner is simply unnacceptable whoever opposition is and to happen twice in six months isn't good enough if we're making these claims about seriously qualifying for europe next season.

• Like 1

Feeble season. Considering the players here compared to clubs that have finished above us (Which is the majority of them) that was not acceptable in my eyes.

You just knew that as soon as the Plastic Mancs scored today we would implode. To be 2-0 up in a game like that only to implode with 15 minutes left is shocking. Especially when you know what to expect from the opposition. It was Wolves all over again.

After seeing our finishing this season or how nice we are up front that anyone would be against Suarez up front for next season. I'll take it for a season and Archer integrated into the squad

Â