Summarise the Season - 21/22

Tayls

We will almost certainly finish 14th and that is nowhere near good enough. There have been very few highs, but I guess beating Man U away and signing Digne and Coutinho were the two positive highlights, but we didn't kick on after either of them. There have been many lows, beaten 4-0 at home to Spurs, throwing away a 2-goal lead to Leeds, losing 13 out of 15 games against the top 8, internationals screwing us over, new signings not delivering consistently or being constantly injured in Bailey's case, Grealish going a few days before the season started, but losing twice to an awful Watford team probably tops the lot. 

I've said it and I'll say it again, a club this size should not have gone 11 seasons and counting finishing outside the top 10. Think of all the other clubs that have finished top 10 in that time, the likes of Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United, Wolves, West Brom, Leeds, Stoke, even bloody Swansea have done it not just once but twice. Honestly guys it's embarrassing. We've got fantastic owners and a squad full of internationals, this is nothing like the lerner years, and every single fan should be very disappointed with this season.

At the very least we need to be finishing in the top half next season and it's about time we really got ourselves back in European contention. There should be no excuses any more with the investment the owners have put in and the players we are attracting to the club. Gerrard will be backed financially, it's up to him to get us up that table next season because so far progress has been minimal under him. 

I think we need to temper our expectations. We are still establishing ourselves in the premier league. Our history in this league means nothing, especially in how the gap between top and bottom got much bigger when we were in the championship.

With that in mind, our season can be summarised in one word: inconsistent. And that makes it all the more frustrating.

Grealish leaving so close to the start of the season; the constant attempts to get Ings and Watkins working together; the injuries to people like Bailey and Marv; the low energy performances under SG after the new manager-bounce had got us excited; I could go on. 

We have no divine right to be in this league. The manager needs to show that he can get a tune out of his players next season. And perhaps he could be a tad more flexible with his system. 

• Like 1

We seem to have abandoned incremental improvement and gone for big names in the hope they can restore us to former glory.

It's a high risk strategy imo. 

At best I can see a run of narrow and uninspiring victories and us gaining a reputation for dour football - despite the celebrity players and coaches.

• Like 1

5/10.

Lost the connection of Dean. We haven't really showed up against better opposition other than United away and everyone seems to have beat them this season.

Thankfully we've managed to do well against the teams around us.

Few performances were totally unacceptable, both matches against Arsenal in particular and the away game at Newcastle.

Not convinced about Gerrard will give him time though.

Most pleasing things are the progress of Ramsey and Cash, as well as the new contracts for them and Martinez. I feel that Mings has had a very strong season too, especially since Gerrard came in. Our defence is still one of the better in the league which is a good foundation to have.

Overall our signings this year reflected our performance, mostly poor. Buendia I have most hope for if he can get into the side, but struggling to see what Bailey can offer us and Ings still feels like a panic buy.

Saying that Chambers was a smart signing, and Digne has impressed. Coutinho was a no brainer for the price too. 

• Like 1

Gotta be seen as a failure. 

Didn't manage to keep Grealsh, sacked the manager and will end up on much fewer points, likely in a worse league position or at best the same.

Owners still seem very dedicated which is the important thing and stuff off the pitch feels good. 

It's possible we've set ourselves a good foundation to build from going forward with signings and maybe Gerrard is the right guy.

So far thou I feel we might be giving ourselves a handicap compared to the teams we are trying to catch up to with him as manager. Hopefully not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I think we need to temper our expectations. We are still establishing ourselves in the premier league. Our history in this league means nothing, especially in how the gap between top and bottom got much bigger when we were in the championship.

With that in mind, our season can be summarised in one word: inconsistent. And that makes it all the more frustrating.

Grealish leaving so close to the start of the season; the constant attempts to get Ings and Watkins working together; the injuries to people like Bailey and Marv; the low energy performances under SG after the new manager-bounce had got us excited; I could go on. 

We have no divine right to be in this league. The manager needs to show that he can get a tune out of his players next season. And perhaps he could be a tad more flexible with his system. 

So thinking we should be finishing in the top 10 at least once means we need to ‘temper our expectations’? I really don’t get this.

We have a massive waiting list and plans to increase the stadium to 50,000+. Huge investment over the last few seasons. High profile signings and some super talented young players coming through.

The league is undoubtedly stronger than it was but our expectations are remarkably low rather than high as you are implying. Leicester, West Ham and Wolves have all done an awful lot more with their investment and are all smaller clubs than us. I’m not saying we should be regular top 4 or even top 6, but achieving at the minimum what those teams have done should be a reasonable expectation. The give it time argument is an excuse for me given the level of investment, Leicester and Wolves both built strong teams after promotion and have sustained it while losing key players from their first team.

Maybe some of our fan base has just accepted mediocrity, I don’t know. 

• Like 1

Feels a bit wasted...but we have to remember it's only our third year back and we can count this as the 'stabilisation period' before we kick on. 

Bloody hope so anyway.

• Like 2

Underwhelming at best. 

all our summer/winter signings have been underwhelming 

Gerrard has been underwhelming 

our performances have been underwhelming 

our results have been underwhelming 

Bar Ramsey and Cash, all of our players have been underwhelming, in some cases regressed. 

I'm scratching my head to fathom what we can do to build from this season. Tactics, players, management and style has been so flat, it’s hard to exactly pin point what needs to change  

• Like 2

It’s been a season where there’s not really a lot to shout about. Off the top of my head it’s the win at Old Trafford, 4-0 against Southampton and 3-0 win against Leeds. That’s about it really. 

No cup runs, 6 home wins and not picked up any points apart against the top 8 all season apart from Man Utd. So it’s been a very “boring” season but I would have 2 mid table seasons in a row back in the Championship/first season back in the Prem. Just not used to having these type of seasons in recent years. 

I’m not expecting to finish in the European places next season as we’d have to recruit well and obviously the teams above us are gonna have to poor seasons but I just hope we can close the gap and improve our record against the big boys as it’s frustrating seeing the likes of Newcastle (v Arsenal) and Everton (v Chelsea) getting wins but we can’t. 

Â