Match Thread: Burnley v Villa

limpid

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watkins has done well but I'd like to see us play a proper 4-3-3 with Coutinho and Buendia behind our best finisher, which is Ings. We are struggling to play through midfield still, give us two good options who can drift.

• Like 1

What a strange half? Not a brilliant performance by us but I’ll take being two up. It doesn’t feel over at all because they still seem to have some fight but a third goal would kill them I reckon. They’re missing Mee and Vidra quite a lot.

Good half with two well taken goals. Not over though and we can’t afford to be complacent.

4 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Interesting stat on McNeil, apparently had 46 shots this year and not score a single goal. Not a particular great stat, he has been solid for Burnley though. 

Question in this Burnley side for him will always be -

is it lack of opportunity and movement ahead of him (created by their style) meaning he has to take a lot of pot shots as he's doubled up on?

Or is it that he's the only sort-of creative outlet in an atrocious attacking side and gets over valued as a result and won't actually ever be an important part of an attacking unit in the Prem

I think it's more the latter. The £25m valuations when we were interested in the summer were stupid. But I suppose he'll always be a tad unknown until Burnley change their style or he moves somewhere that allow him to do more

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just now, Spoony said:

Let’s not **** this up like last time we were 2-0 up against this shower…

i thought in that one (if im thinking of the same match), we went 1-0 up, missed over 9000 chances in the first half, then went 3-1 down in the second half, and we then pulled one back to make it 3-2, ending 3-2?

2-0, great.

However, 60/40 possession in Burnley's favour, if Gerrard wants us to become a possession team we have a long, LONG way to go.

basically 60/40 possession, in the oppositions favour versus both Norwich and Burnley, we arent anywhere near a possession team are we.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i thought in that one (if im thinking of the same match), we went 1-0 up, missed over 9000 chances in the first half, then went 3-1 down in the second half, and we then pulled one back to make it 3-2, ending 3-2?

No you're both wrong, we were 1-0 up, then 1-1, then 2-1 up, then lost 3-2.

Well fair play to Steven Gerrard and the pre-match VT massive - Chambers as a DM is working pretty well - it's given us a little bit of solidity and allowed Luiz to get forward a bit. I'll get back in my box :)

I think when we've played we've looked bright lively and inventive - Buendia, Luiz and INgs have been excellent, both full backs have been lively with Digne looking decent. Konsa looks a little passive and a touch too casual at times, he's maybe a worry but I think we're been the better side.

Emi Martinez is the Sultan of shithousery and I am loving it.

There's a threat - Burnley have had chances and created things, particularly from set pieces, but if we're patient and organised and we keep the ball a bit better, it's hard not to see us scoring again, and one more goal should guarantee a win.

Villa fans sound in very good voice.

• Like 2

Konsa has looked poor, Douglas has bottled a few 50-50's and barely noticed McGinn was playing.

The Watkins, Ings and Buendia combo always looks likely to get us a goal so a definite positive.

Don't think this game will end 2-0!

Good half. Watkins has been much better recently. Forward line has been good as a whole.

Centre midfield seems as non existent as ever, especially out of possession.

Edited by VillaAlex
  • Like 1