Match Thread: Burnley v Villa

limpid

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

We took our chances, but generally thought we were poor - especially defensively. Chambers adds little as DM.  I would substitute Tim or Nakamba for Konsa and push Chambers back.

The point of Chambers is to add height and strength to combat a physically imposing Burnley side. If we take off a player it won't Mings, Konsa or Chambers unless one gets injured. I'd take off Mcginn for Tim or Chukky for extra height and technical ability. Or i'd bring Coutinho on for Ings. Watkins is doing a good job of stretching the Burnley defense. Ings has been decent though.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Question in this Burnley side for him will always be -

is it lack of opportunity and movement ahead of him (created by their style) meaning he has to take a lot of pot shots as he's doubled up on?

Or is it that he's the only sort-of creative outlet in an atrocious attacking side and gets over valued as a result and won't actually ever be an important part of an attacking unit in the Prem

I think it's more the latter. The £25m valuations when we were interested in the summer were stupid. But I suppose he'll always be a tad unknown until Burnley change their style or he moves somewhere that allow him to do more

25m? The valuations back then were more like 40m. Crazy thing is, some of us thought we should still paid that money to get him.

• Like 1

We're making it too easy for Burnley when they've got the ball, allowing them to pass around us, on balance despite the scoreline they've probably been slightly the better team, but I think some of that comes from us having a two goal lead, so we're sitting back a little, feel like we're hitting too many long balls as well, it can work as we saw against Norwich but no need to over do it.

Strange to say with the scoreline as it is and given we haven't been that bad, but need to improve in the second half, which is more compliment to Burnley than it is a criticism of us.

I think we're missing Ramsey in midfield.

Just now, allani said:

We need to buy a couple of midfielders to do that.  McGinn is not a possession footballer and he seems to still be our "main" man in the middle of the pitch.

We also need to play differently. Doesn’t matter what midfielders we have if every goalkick ends at Burnley’s central defenders, for a start.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone remember the last time we were 2 up against Burnley? 👀😳

If you’re referring to the 3-2 last season we didn’t go 2 up but led twice.

• Thanks 1

Observations for today

Buendia should be starting every game

McGinn has been missing since the first half of Norwich

Konsa is having a mid-life crisis at 24

Chambers floating between defence and midfield is not working.

Luiz seems to be in tik tok land and not focused on the game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

2-0, great.

However, 60/40 possession in Burnley's favour, if Gerrard wants us to become a possession team we have a long, LONG way to go.

basically 60/40 possession, in the oppositions favour versus both Norwich and Burnley, we arent anywhere near a possession team are we.

We have so little possession for two reasons: 1) Because our CM are cowards and go missing, I've barely noticed McGinn today as he;'s barely touched the ball; and 2) we revert to hoofball when we're winning instead of trying to keep the ball. 

When we do try to keep the ball we usually put ourselves in trouble because we pass around our 18 yard box instead of getting the ball into pockets in the midfield.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smg said:

Doesn’t have to be we still get 3 points

Of course and if it meant something I'd take that but it doesn't.

Performance is more key than results to show where we are going and I still cant figure out the style of play under Gerrard, we have rarely performed well under him.

No energy in the middle, we knew it would be like this due to the 2 playing there, presumably thinking they will by pass midfield.

I would be getting Tim on and taking mccginn off to get some control or even konsa off for Tim and Chambers dropping back. Then taking mccginn off maybe after 65 for sansom or someone with energy who has a brain.