The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

The expanded World Club Cup is a very odd one - they're looking to hold it every four years, essentially in the same format as this World Cup but with clubs.

So players would go through a cycle of World Cup Summer/World Club Cup Summer/Euros (or other Confederation) summer/summer off - that should have Jurgen foaming.

Additionally, with it being 32 teams, it won't just be the winner of the Champions League - there could be a whole lot of European clubs there - I'm sure FIFA will pick an amount from each foundation - but I'd suggest that would probably include about eight from Europe.

At the moment, if you were just picking the 32 best clubs in the World, you could make an argument for about 26 of those clubs to be European and how they'll do qualification will be a heck of thing - do you have a qualifying tournament like you do for a World Cup - will Aston Villa be in qualifying group F - or do you take the winners of the three European competitions and the three runners up, and the Champions league semi-finalists?

It'll also be interesting to see if upsetting more clubs in a more convenient timescale will please the Premier League more than upsetting one at a time in the middle of the season.

It's definitely got the whiff of something that will give FIFA a more valuable club competition and might be a blow to the group currently trying to break away - I wonder if we might see some resistance to it from the likes of Real and Barca?

On 16/12/2022 at 12:11, sne said:

I'm guessing the biggest brands with the largest number of customers will all be invited regardless of performance. Any big name English club with a red shirt will be there.

Bet Bournemouth can't wait 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64150753

Juventus and their partners would have transferred players at inflated costs, because of Paratici's relationships with other executives. Allegedly, they would do each other favours, expecting favours in return. Manuel Locatelli moved from Sassuolo to Juventus in 2021 on a two-year loan with an obligation to buy, despite Arsenal offering to buy him immediately for a higher amount than the Bianconeri; Dejan Kulusevski moved from Atalanta to Juventus in 2020 for 44m euro, as part of a bigger strategy between the two clubs. 

A line of investigation concerning false players' salary cuts is still on the table at the FIGC.

On top of it, Uefa opened an investigation in December. In order to take part in European competition, each club needs a Uefa Club License from its national association. If allegations prove true, Juventus received theirs thanks to financial violations.

Juve in big trouble apparently.

Hopefully Chelsea, Barca, Real to follow soon.

No wonder they were so desperate for the Superleague

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Seems the "Super league" idea is back ... 

new-look, open European Super League could contain up to 80 teams in a multi-division format, the competition’s chief executive has said.

The competition would be based on sporting performance with no permanent members, A22’s chief executive, Bernd Reichart, told the German newspaper Die Welt. Teams would be guaranteed a minimum of 14 matches a season, Reichart wrote. A22, formed to sponsor and assist with the creation of the Super League, has consulted nearly 50 European clubs since last October and developed 10 principles based on that.

Reichart said the Super League would be an open competition, with qualification via performance at national level and all its teams competing in their domestic leagues.

Those national leagues would remain “the foundation” of the game, Reichart said. He argued that the Super League would generate new revenues to support the entire pyramid

Need to know.more about the proposal.

However, if this would give ALL European clubs ( Not just " big 6 " in each League ) a chance to take part and earn money + exposure, I might be for it?

A European sort of FA Cup in a sense?

Small teams have the chance to progress or even win it?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, if this would give ALL European clubs ( Not just " big 6 " in each League ) a chance to take part and earn money, I might be for it?

I’ve just read a short article with limited information, between 60-80 teams no permanent teams so I think that all teams would have to qualify so yes in short it’s not all the big teams leaving their own leagues just another competition. I don’t know if it needs to replace the Champions league though?

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, if this would give ALL European clubs ( Not just " big 6 " in each League ) a chance to take part and earn money + exposure, I might be for it?

Klopp will be asking for 15 subs with all these fixtures they apparently can't handle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont want this shit. Why would i wnat to play a italian team (where i know none of their fans) as opposed to spurs or west ham? I want the rivalry **** this stupid concept

So you wouldnt want us to qualify. For Europe in that basis

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Football will eventually eat itself, and descend into a cesspit of money, greed, and broken premises. That has been obviously true since about 1992.

Football as pure spectacle, not competition will be its death kneel. 

Can't see this happening any time, they've got no clear vision of what it's meant to be since the last time they tried got so completely rejected. With the power and finanical imbalance between European leagues, the Premier League would never agree to giving the other leagues a leg up. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can't see this happening any time, they've got no clear vision of what it's meant to be since the last time they tried got so completely rejected. With the power and finanical imbalance between European leagues, the Premier League would never agree to giving the other leagues a leg up. 

But isn’t it a vote for all eu members? Doesn’t that exclude the premier league?  

Â