The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

But isn’t it a vote for all eu members? Doesn’t that exclude the premier league?  

I thought it said European, not EU? I like the concept, but it would quickly become a contest of league strength - the worst teams in the premier league able to outspend and attract players from the clubs at the top of other leagues. Clubs would also ultimately have to adhere to local FFP rules, they can't have two squads one for national league games and another for super league. It feels like it's not been thought through - and if anything is an attempt to borrow a bit of the gloss from the premier league product. Can't see it happening. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I thought it said European, not EU? I like the concept, but it would quickly become a contest of league strength - the worst teams in the premier league able to outspend and attract players from the clubs at the top of other leagues. Clubs would also ultimately have to adhere to local FFP rules, they can't have two squads one for national league games and another for super league. It feels like it's not been thought through - and if anything is an attempt to borrow a bit of the gloss from the premier league product. Can't see it happening. 

I’m not sure,  he says eu members states near the end .

• Like 1

Ffs , imagine it in a few years , game of football split into 4 quarters with some gangsta rap stars performing inaudible shite in between, as many usable players on the bench as on the pitch , no thanks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’m not sure,  he says eu members states near the end .

You're right - seems like it's being pitched at the EU clubs only at this stage - but you would imagine the intention is then to invite premier league clubs, unless they are thinking this is a league to compete with the prem. 

• Like 1

You also have to consider all of the different football associations, they could probably just veto it. Belgium and Holland spent years talking about forming a merged top division that ultimately went nowhere. Years ago talk of an Atlantic league etc. UEFA will end up just giving them more money from the expanded champions league which is basically going to be a super league lite anything.

31 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

But isn’t it a vote for all eu members? Doesn’t that exclude the premier league?  

Its normally UEFA voting commitee members, which includes villa but the ESL clubs quit and so far I think haven't been allowed back in

From memory when I looked at the list pretty much any club that played European football in the last 20 years is on the commitee so like us, Newcastle, Everton, Leicester etc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

unless they are thinking this is a league to compete with the prem. 

Exactly what it could be. 

Surprised that he says the motivation behind all this is to allow "once great" clubs to compete again. Who exactly are those clubs and why do they get special help? Where is the line drawn, five domestics trophies in the last 20 years? Or three in the last 57? Or two domestic trophies and four runners up spots?

Edited by villa89

I don’t know how this could work along side  competing in domestic leagues, it would be 14 extra matches per year across 3 or 4 divisions there’s no insensitive for premier league teams to join, I can see why Barca and Juve want to join with their financial struggles even though Barca are actually looking like a better run club and utilising their academy this season instead of signing players after players they are using what they’ve got and are on course to win the league and probably in the form they are in have good chance of winning they europa league to.

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its normally UEFA voting commitee members, which includes villa but the ESL clubs quit and so far I think haven't been allowed back in

From memory when I looked at the list pretty much any club that played European football in the last 20 years is on the commitee so like us, Newcastle, Everton, Leicester etc

Good that’s one positive I suppose 

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t know how this could work along side  competing in domestic leagues, it would be 14 extra matches per year across 3 or 4 divisions there’s no insensitive for premier league teams to join, I can see why Barca and Juve want to join with their financial struggles even though Barca are actually looking like a better run club and utilising their academy this season instead of signing players after players they are using what they’ve got and are on course to win the league and probably in the form they are in have good chance of winning they europa league to.

If it replaces the Champions League but pays much more money and is easier to qualify for (let’s say the top 10 in the PL qualify each season) then I could see the Premier League clubs supporting it. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Exactly what it could be. 

Surprised that he says the motivation behind all this is to allow "once great" clubs to compete again. Who exactly are those clubs and why do they get special help? Where is the line drawn, five domestics trophies in the last 20 years? Or three in the last 57? Or two domestic trophies and four runners up spots?

Or the entirety of Eastern Europe? Red Star Belgrade, Steau Bucharest, Slovan Bratislava etc?

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t know how this could work along side  competing in domestic leagues, 

Simple change the domestic league to home OR away where you play each team once. Then the top 16 qualify for the playoffs where all the matches are held in Qatar.It'll basically be like the NBA.

Then you have plenty of space for the new euro league where there are seven divisions of 12 with games home and away but each team has to play 3 of their home games in Saudi Arabia.

Once the league phase is over south American teams will join the competition but they'll have to play their home games in Japan and China. 

The grand final will be best of 11 games all played in Mexico and USA and at the end of the 13 month season we'll start the new 128 team world cup in Azerbaijan. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Simple change the domestic league to home OR away where you play each team once. Then the top 16 qualify for the playoffs where all the matches are held in Qatar.

It'll basically be like the NBA. then you plenty of space for the new euro league where there are seven divisions of 12 with games home and away but each team has to play 3 of their home games in Saudi Arabia.

Once the league phase is over south American teams will join the competition but they'll have to play their home games in Japan and China. 

The grand final will be best of 11 games all played in Mexico and USA and at the end of the 13 month season we'll start the new 128 team world cup in Azerbaijan. 

Brave new world.

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If it replaces the Champions League but pays much more money and is easier to qualify for (let’s say the top 10 in the PL qualify each season) then I could see the Premier League clubs supporting it. 

It would mean getting rid of the europa league and conference league, if it were 10 teams from the top European Leagues Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga , Ligue 1, Seire A then you have to look to Holland and Portugal for teams and after that ti gets very grim with leagues like the Swiss super league and  Belgium.  Will people want to watch the lower tier of a super league? .

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It would mean getting rid of the europa league and conference league, if it were 10 teams from the top European Leagues Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga , Ligue 1, Seire A then you have to look to Holland and Portugal for teams and after that ti gets very grim with leagues like the Swiss super league and  Belgium.  Will people want to watch the lower tier of a super league? .

Yes it would be the end of all of UEFA’s competitions and replaced with tiered leagues instead of knockout competitions. 

Aston Villa would play in a midweek league and a domestic weekend league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes it would be the end of all of UEFA’s competitions and replaced with tiered leagues instead of knockout competitions. 

Aston Villa would play in a midweek league and a domestic weekend league. 

When you put it that way it doesn’t sound to bad , but the problem is how you include all teams around Europe from obscure leagues , say a top 10 team qualifies from the premier league and then a team from one of the more obscure leagues in Europe they’d be the wiping  boys of the league, how is that competitive?

Bernd Reichart of A22 Sports Management- sponsors and organisers of this new super league:

"The foundations of European football are in danger of collapsing. It is time for a change. It is the clubs that bear the entrepreneurial risk in football.

click

Well no sh*t Sherlock. The top sides in Europe, including those of the PL have spent the last 2-3 decades trying desperately to ensure that:

• no one else can compete financially
  • everyone but them gets less money
  • they don't have to deal with anything as vulgar as not winning every year. 

In other words deliberately destabilising the foundations of European football. 

It's frigging grotesque that the owners, sponsors and in some cases fans think that it is their right (!) in a competitive sports arena to win continuously at the expense of anyone else. 

It's also stupid, because the idea that our teams can, if they achieve the right balance get from the bottom to the top of the pyramid is what everyone loves about football. Short term fixes of success will become boring to supporters, and there will be no substance or history to fall back on. 

We're heading toward a franchise system, where at a whim a club can be moved away from the fans which nurtured it to a commercially more viable location. 

Awful, and I hope everyone involved gets one right up the chuff. 

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

good point.

I don't see how any overarching Super League will lead to sustainable distribution of revenues across the pyramid. It's fewer people eating more of the pie. 

The only thing it could potentially do is level up the financial distribution of wealth across the various national leagues, which would be to the detriment of the PL and EFL because ours is currently the most profitable league around. 

Â