The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

Listening to the Price of Football podcast, we are already in a Super League. As of next season it will almost be impossible to break into the top 6 permanently. 

UEFA making it so you can only spend 70% of revenue on wages.

Spurs revenue is twice ours so their wage bill can be twice ours. 

Man City is 3 times ours, so their wage bill can be 3x ours.

Should we, or a Newcastle have a great season, the best players will just be cherry picked on higher wages.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Listening to the Price of Football podcast, we are already in a Super League. As of next season it will almost be impossible to break into the top 6 permanently. 

Should we, or a Newcastle have a great season, the best players will just be cherry picked on higher wages.

That won't happen to Newcastle.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

That won't happen to Newcastle.

i'll believe it when i see it

Guimares was linked real madrid in the summer and he gave some flowery statement kissing the badge but the reality is if real madrid come in with £60m he's gone, if newcastle say **** that we dont need the money then when his contract expires he's gone

if haaland wants to join real madrid in 5 years time then he will, the hierarchy still exists, some of the big clubs are also chucking monstrous wages around

wait until newcastle get in to a position where they threaten city and see if city go for their players, or play the game in the transfer window that results in sanchez getting £300k a week at utd

50 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

It's a bigger problem for Juventus, Napoli, Ajax, Bayern, etc. The premier league clubs have huge TV money to inflate revenue. That's the whole motivation for the Super league in the first place, the rest of Europe can't compete when the last place team in the premier league gets £100m+ in TV revenue.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i'll believe it when i see it

Guimares was linked real madrid in the summer and he gave some flowery statement kissing the badge but the reality is if real madrid come in with £60m he's gone, if newcastle say **** that we dont need the money then when his contract expires he's gone

if haaland wants to join real madrid in 5 years time then he will, the hierarchy still exists, some of the big clubs are also chucking monstrous wages around

wait until newcastle get in to a position where they threaten city and see if city go for their players, or play the game in the transfer window that results in sanchez getting £300k a week at utd

Since they were taken over, City have not been threatened with having their players taken at all. They pay too well and that's just what is 'officially' out there.

Newcastle will be the same, they won't even blink at bids coming in for their players, they don't even need to respond. Guimaraes may well leave on a free, but that is 4 years away.

And considering he cost £40 million why would they sell for 60?

26 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Since they were taken over, City have not been threatened with having their players taken at all. They pay too well and that's just what is 'officially' out there.

Newcastle will be the same, they won't even blink at bids coming in for their players, they don't even need to respond. Guimaraes may well leave on a free, but that is 4 years away.

And considering he cost £40 million why would they sell for 60?

we will see

i dont think newcastle get CL in the next 2 years and the landscape has changed since city won the lottery, if real madrid come back with real interest for guimares he will be a real madrid player (FWIW i dont think the interest was real this summer, that was a weird link)

7 hours ago, pas5898 said:

yeah it's more of the PL is already the Super League with all of the revenue coming for every club and add that the top 6 make double even triple that of the other 14. But the other 14 can already compete / better the offers made by European-chasing teams in other leagues. I really do think that within 10 years we will have a massive reshuffling of the footballing landscape as finances continue to grow (and rapidly fall for some)

16 minutes ago, AXD said:

Barca and Juve didn't qualify for the next round in CL. Especially Barca will feel this financially. Curious to see if they start to rehash this nonsense.

FINANCIAL LEVERS 

22 hours ago, AXD said:

Barca and Juve didn't qualify for the next round in CL. Especially Barca will feel this financially. Curious to see if they start to rehash this nonsense.

To a certain extent, they haven't stopped trying, with various low-level legal actions over the last 18 months. But their actual problem is that the finances don't work without Premier League clubs, and the backlash from PL club fans meant the idea was DOA. Nothing has changed about that situation. 

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

When the Superleague comes again I'm convinced it will be a FIFA competition.

UEFA and FIFA will go to war with each other but its almost inevitable

The surprising thing is FIFA seemingly want the 2 year WC cycle and have binned off their club World Cup plans, that competition would open the doors

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

When the Superleague comes again I'm convinced it will be a FIFA competition.

Yup, Saudi funded FIFA thing. Think we will see a Saudi vs Qatar or FIFA vs UEFA proxy war 

Edited by sne

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting that Infantino has announced an expanded club world cup - that's the little UEFA vs FIFA battle there - Club World Cup vs Champions League as the prime de facto Superleague.

I'm very pleased that the initial judgement yesterday (hopefully to be ratified by a full court) is that clubs are very welcome to form their own leagues, but that they shouldn't then expect to be welcome in the existing leagues as well - that's a key for me. I've nothing against Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd going off to play Juve and Real every fortnight, but if they do it, they should leave the Premier League altogether - you don't get to have both.

No doubt this expanded club World Cup will be played in the Middle East.

Seems to be the compromise to avoid Juve, Barca and Madrid going out of business over the coming years (of course they could always put the onus on this clubs to reform themselves but that’s never going to happen).

Â