The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

So this gem of an idea has reared its ugly head once more. 

Uefa should call their bluff and ban any of the participating teams from European Cup football and their respective domestic leagues expel them from the league. 

Playing the same 11-12 teams each season in a ring fenced show pony league with no other football would get tedious very quickly. 

Whatever happens, these renegade money grabbing clubs cannot be allowed to have their cake and eat it by choosing who they play against in Europe and  therefore financially outmuscling their domestic league opponents forevermore. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

So this gem of an idea has reared its ugly head once more. 

Uefa should call their bluff and ban any of the participating teams from European Cup football and their respective domestic leagues expel them from the league. 

Playing the same 11-12 teams each season in a ring fenced show pony league with no other football would get tedious very quickly. 

Whatever happens, these renegade money grabbing clubs cannot be allowed to have their cake and eat it by choosing who they play against in Europe and  therefore financially outmuscling their domestic league opponents forevermore. 

Ban the players from playing in international competitions as well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

But that would be an incentive not a punishment 

:trollface:

8 hours ago, Xela said:

This was one of the few chances they had of getting ahead of it, and beating it.

The reality is now, when it happens, it will probably be the FIFA© SUPERLEAGUE.

Barcelona and Juve will definitely be founding members.

PL sides really should have been booted, they all should have around Europe. We would already be on the up with fresh clubs. 

They weren't ready to start and went public far too early with it. I think a lot of players would have walked from clubs and signed back with non-superleague sides.

As it is now, the idiots who barely planned it will have help to get some infrastructure in place before the relaunch.

If City win one of the next two Champions League titles, they'll go for it big time. Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd owners be well up for it.

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

But that would be an incentive not a punishment 

:trollface:

You’re probably joking but I think for a lot of England players they would probably rather be out of it.

They don’t make any money from it, and with most playing in Europe I’m sure they’d rather not travel for international duty. The ESL would be an incentive.

• Like 1

Sad to say, I think this is inevitable. It makes too much money, and owners think that the public are chumps who will do as they are told and just give their money away like good little consumers. And they are right, they will. 

The big clubs are starting to see themselves as churches, and donations must be made by the congregation. 

Honestly it f***ing sickens me.

They will get their way eventually as that is what the international markets want to see.  Domestically I think football could be poor shape. Just looking at PL crowds the vast majority seem to be middle or old age people. Once they stop going how will the youngsters afford to keep going, especially when it could basically be a rigged format?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

They make a ton of money from it, not from 'here's x amount per game' but in endorsements, bonuses from club and the FA and recently prize money too

I don’t think so, it’s tiny in comparison to club football.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

5 of the 12 founding members will be in the Europa League after Christmas😂😂

Maybe they can rebrand the project to Mega Elite Supreme Ultra Football League?

Or should they worry about that after they play their Thursday night fixture against Ludogorets? 

The fans of these clubs actually make up a tiny fraction of the fans overall. Other clubs fans would treat them like the pariahs they are. I’m not sure the revenue stream would be there. Would you pay to watch them. I’d sooner go shopping with the missus"………and I f*****g hate that. The whole thing would be a monumental yawn fest. Part of me would like to se them go, so we can tell them to do one when they come crawling back. Bastards the lot of them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The fans of these clubs actually make up a tiny fraction of the fans overall. Other clubs fans would treat them like the pariahs they are. I’m not sure the revenue stream would be there. Would you pay to watch them. I’d sooner go shopping with the missus"………and I f*****g hate that. The whole thing would be a monumental yawn fest. Part of me would like to se them go, so we can tell them to do one when they come crawling back. Bastards the lot of them.

two things... 

1) They have an agreement with JP Morgan which are guaranteeing a huge income for the first 15 years, irrelevant of whether anyone watches it or not. 

2) This is replacing the Champions League for them, they would still be in the Premier League and collecting all that TV money as well.

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

In Britain you're right, but they don't give a shit about that, it's for all the glory hunters across the world, they want to sell Man U vs Barcelona for a billion £3 buys on ppv and split the cash. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

That's kind of what the point of it was though, the head honchos of said clubs think that younger fans are now supporting players not clubs (which I think is probably right) and that the super league clubs have a god given right for the world's best players to play for them (which is obviously wrong) and the income of the super league was the only way those clubs can afford those players (which again is probably right)

The argument was that the global market for Barcelona and man utd was fully tapped but that 14 to 26 year olds in Indonesia want to watch Lewandowski vs Ronaldo and the super league would make that happen 

The whole thing did not give a shit about villa fans in England and whether or not we would watch

And it would be boring. Watching these teams play each other occasionally is one thing. Watching them play each other time after time would be a yawn fest. And without all the other ingredients that make footie great, local rivalries being the biggest, fans would soon turn off. All those fans in Indonesia epitomise the fickleness of foreign supporters. They’ll just go down the local market and get a cheap knock off shirt for whoever is winning this bore fest. ManUtd one week Real Madrid the next. They may have a pot of money guaranteed for 15 years, so what, the games been going for 150 years, doubt the bankers will bankroll that a failing project for that long. Honestly, I think it would be a damp squib of a tournament. They obviously have an overinflated opinion of their own worth. The game is and always will be bigger than them. They just don’t realise it. They actually need us more than we need them.

Â