Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/22 at 23:00

How can we go from that positive performance in the first half to that pathetic defensive performance in the 2nd?

Something is definitely wrong with the balance here!

I wouldn't be surprised if spurs only had 4 shots but scored with every one. I'm not sure what to think about that!

We are just so lightweight!

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Again individual errors cost us.

Villa lack mental toughness, we are weak. Sure one or two winners in the team but it's a big part of the game and it needs to be addressed.

The gulf between top six and Villa is vast, we are just so average.

Week in week out visit the player threads and people will debate which players are good enough to push us on. I honestly think less than half of the players who played against Spurs are good enough.

How many would get into Spurs team? Not many I’d have thought.

Let’s not forget they’re going for Champs League with the likes of Conte, Son and Kane. Despite our flaws we had 19 shots to their 11 and 52% possession over the 90.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

I don’t blame Gerrard for this (although why Chambers was dropped is beyond me). Very few players going into this summer knowing their Villa future is secure. Martinez, Cash, Digne, Mings (maybe), Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia. Anyone else could easily be sold. 

Buendia 🤔

We just have no finishers at the club. 

How many of us thought during our 1st half pressure that these chances will not be taken ?

Just me ? Dont think so.

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sideways move or are the players just not giving him what he's asking, I'm not sure which it is.

Well the effort was there - certainly in the first half.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Luiz- get rid.

Konsa - get rid.

Mings - get rid.

Ings - get rid

Watkins - get rid.

Bailey - get rid.

Let's see what Archer can do at this level and hopefully save us a few bob. 

That midfield is nothing but paper, teams just rip through it. Until we find players with the mentality required for what makes a team become noticed, we are continually going to be served up time and time again with what we witnessed today.

I still have every bit of faith in this manager being able to produce a Villa team that will compete with whoever is in front of us. And when I say compete, I mean in every department on the pitch.

I agree with the exception of konsa who i know is in poor form atm but he is a great player

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Xg great. Actual real world result and not FIFA bullshit? 0-4

Well obviously but there’s alot of people going on about the performance and it was really decent against a very good team who are in form. We had the better of virtually all the stats apart from the most important one. If we played that game again with those same stats we win 95% of the time. Just not our day but there was plenty to be positive about if you care to look for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How many would get into Spurs team? Not many I’d have thought.

No not many and therein lies the problem - bottom half squad with some Villa fans thinking our players are better than they really are. We need big changes in our playing staff this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, M_Afro said:

Well obviously but there’s alot of people going on about the performance and it was really decent against a very good team who are in form. We had the better of virtually all the stats apart from the most important one. If we played that game again with those same stats we win 95% of the time. Just not our day but there was plenty to be positive about if you care to look for it.

How many points do we get for today from the imaginary XG points table?

It's a pointless bullshit stat. 

We lost 0-4 at home. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

Any unbiased neutral who watched that game, would have seen that the scoreline doesn't reflect it, nor do the stats.

However, it does reflect the fact that we can't finish, and need a higher quality of defender/player in certain areas.

I genuinely don't care what anyone wants to say, as we already know how certain people feel, but that was the best we've played in probably weeks/months in that first half.

Let down by a combo of individual errors, poor finishing, and their keeper playing a blinder. ( Not for the first time )

Tottenham pumped 5 past Newcastle and Everton prior to us, and have 2 of the best attackers in the world.

This is why I stated that I was dreading this game. As Tottenham have been in scintillating form, and everyone hates Gerrard, so it was never going to end well regardless. Knowing our defensive frailty, and our impotence.

If the team were actually shit, i'd probably get it.

I now look forward to Man City, Liverpool and Leicester etc with an oxygen tank. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Maybe I'm wrong but 55th minute I'd of gone triple change

Martinez

Cash      konsa           minus           digne

Sansom                Chambers

Ramsey

Buendia               ings               coutinho

I think that would of added the necessary control and bite to turn it 3-2, but I'm not manager ...

• Like 2

Â