Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/22 at 23:00

Anyway lads (and lasses), remembers its only a **** game! Not important in the grand scheme of things when you look at what is happening in the world. 

Try not to be too despondent. Its not worth it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Digne doesn’t look any better than Targett. We have wasted some money. 

He's better going forward, maybe not any better in back. I'd give him more time because he hasn't even been here half a season.

Gerrards system is the issue and has been since he arrived. FBs getting continually caught up field and leaving us exposed at the back. Midfield too narrow, can't pass for shit. Story of the season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

He's better going forward, maybe not any better in back. I'd give him more time because he hasn't even been here half a season.

He will have to have more time, no chance anybody is signing him for anything like the money we paid and his massive contract. Awful business. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We were the better team. Absolutely no luck at all. Watch it again if you don’t agree because you are wrong. We are having a really unlucky season. I can never remember another one when so much goes against us.

I have been saying this too , we always seem to go behind from first on target shot . Today Kanes shot was going well wide hits our defender straight to Son .

• Like 2

Absolute shite. Gerrard once again sat on the bench with his finger up his arse as the pendulum swung very obviously away from us. Glad that a) we have to wait two **** weeks to play again to wash the taste of this out of our mouths and b) the costs for next season are going up. Love my club. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't disagree with the post-match comments from Gerrard.

First-half half we were good, but didn't take our many chances.

Gerrard hasn't thrown anyone under the bus at all, he reiterated many of the players have the opportunity to be at Villa next season. And he knows we need to strengthen the first-team and where to improve.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wouldn't disagree with the post-match comments from Gerrard.

First-half half we were good, but didn't take our many chances.

Gerrard hasn't thrown anyone under the bus at all, he reiterated many of the players have the opportunity to be at Villa next season. And he knows we need to strengthen the first-team and where to improve.

First half we had loads of energy. But the warning sign was there in the 42nd minute. Spurs more or less effortlessly shifted the ball from defence to attack - with every spurs player looking like they knew what they were doing. 

Sure we pumelled spurs with sheer energy for 40 minutes - but you need more than that at this level.

Not many villa managers come back from such a run of defeats( 7 from 10 I believe. ) Let alone a newcomer to PL management.

It's just when and how it ends. Right now we look like next season's Everton.

• Haha 1

The defending was abysmal! At least two defensive errors in the build up to all 4 goals. Going forward the finishing wasn't good enough and McGinn once again is shown to be lacking quality.

Once again we get caught with our pants down early on. Why are we alway so slow to get going. Teams are getting all over us early in games, scoring an early goal, then watch while we lack the bottle to come from behind.

Martinez 5 - Had little chance with the goals, little else to do.

Cash 3 - Goes to ground to easily. At fault on the second goal, as he should have stayed on his feet. 

Konsa 0 - His worst performance in a Villa shirt. Was supposed to be picking up Kane but let him assist 3! It was far too easy for Kane to make those flick ons. Deserves to be bench for an extended period!

Mings 5 - Didn't do much wrong, but his fellow defenders seemed to want to gift Spurs at every oppourtunity. Didn't marshall his defense well enough.

Digne 4 - Seems to want to coast through games, not doing enough. Keeps going off injured.

Luiz 6 - For me he was our best player today, distributed well, and didn't do too badly in front of the defense. The goals were down to poor defending from the back 4.

McGinn 3 - Lacks quality on the ball. Lacks discipline, gifting possession back to the opposition when under no pressure is a feature of his game.

Ramsey 4 - Got caught overplaying a couple of times. Is suited to what gerrard is trying to do, unfortunately half the team isn't. Needs to smarten up, and sharpen up defensively.

Coutinho 5 - Always capable of a magical moment, the one player in our team showing genuine quality on a consistent basis. Disappeared in the second half.

Ings 3 - Missed our best chances of the game, otherwise did very little. I still don't understand why we signed him.

Watkins 4 - Worked hard, had one half chance. Lacks that extra bit of quality needed to play in congested areas, which another reason is why things often broke down around the box (McGinn the other).

Gerrard needs to find a way to fire up his players and get them starting fast and getting stuck in, because we are getting killed off early in games. Today we showed some good football, and grit to get at Spurs, but that only came after we gifted them the lead! Second half starts and once again caught cold, stuffing thus knocked out of us!

We need two new starting Midfielders and a top class CB to put Konsa on the bench. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Looks to me that Gerrard is already on the beach, and is waiting for the window for the owners to give him the money to buy top players.

I think he should be doing better with the players he has. If things do not improve, we may well finish lower than last season.

That would be poor.

Yeah - would Kalvin Philips in that side today really have made any difference ?

• Like 2

tbf, we were really, really good for about 80% of that Spurs game, we played some lovely football, anyone who says we didnt are either lying or didnt watch the game.

BUT:

1) We cant create that many chances and not take them, and expect or deserve to get anything out of the game.

2) Our defence is s***, we prob need 1 x DC in the summer, and shock horror we need a proper DM.

3) We need to sell Ings & Watkins in the summer, and get someone in who actually suits what we are trying to do, and ensure they are able to finish some bloomin chances, watching Watkins and Ings look like a Benny Hill type duo up front was something to behold.

Honestly, if you did watch todays game, if that's Gerrard ball im all in, we played some lovely stuff, but it also showed how poor we are defensively, and how we lack any type of clinical edge, we could have scored 4 goals today with more clinical finishing.

This team needs a big overhaul, i think we need 1 central defender, a number 6, probably a number 8, Coutinho and a striker as minimum, basically a whole new spine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

tbf, we were really, really good for about 80% of that Spurs game, we played some lovely football, anyone who says we didnt are either lying or didnt watch the game.

BUT:

1) We cant create that many chances and not take them, and expect or deserve to get anything out of the game.

2) Our defence is s***, we prob need 1 x DC in the summer, and shock horror we need a proper DM.

3) We need to sell Ings & Watkins in the summer, and get someone in who actually suits what we are trying to do, and ensure they are able to finish some bloomin chances, watching Watkins and Ings look like a Benny Hill type duo up front was something to behold.

Honestly, if you did watch todays game, if that's Gerrard ball im all in, we played some lovely stuff, but it also showed how poor we are defensively, and how we lack any type of clinical edge, we could have scored 4 goals today with more clinical finishing.

This team needs a big overhaul, i think we need 1 central defender, a number 6, probably a number 8, Coutinho and a striker as minimum, basically a whole new spine.

Totally agree with this. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

BUT:

Wow some big disclaimers in there mate.

• Confused 1

Granted, Konsa was poor and Chambers must be wondering what he did wrong.  But I see very little being said about how poor Mings was today.  First goal he stood and watched as the ball dropped, first off the Konsa header then again after the Kane shot.  He literally just stood to the side and watched Konsa attempt three challenges.  He'd probably tell you he was "marking" Son, yet when the ball came to Son he was too far off him as usual and gave him the time and space to pick his spot.  On the Kuvulescki goal, I just knew what was going to happen as soon as I saw he was 1v1 against Mings.  Once again, never got close enough and tried to be a goalkeeper instead of closing down the ball.  On the breakaway goal by Son, as the ball went up to Kane he should have been dropping off behind Konsa (central defending basics of one presses, one drops) to cover the exact piece of space that Son ran into. For me, he is by far the weakest link in that defence.  Unfortunately, we also rely on his voice too much to keep the organization back there as the others are like church mice.... It's a problem that needs to be sorted in the summer. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, wict01 said:

Absolute shite. Gerrard once again sat on the bench with his finger up his arse as the pendulum swung very obviously away from us. Glad that a) we have to wait two **** weeks to play again to wash the taste of this out of our mouths and b) the costs for next season are going up. Love my club. 

That’s not true though. He was in the technical area for 90% of the match, sat back down to speak to the other coaches a couple of times but didn’t sink into his seat like he has done before.

Â