Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/22 at 23:00

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

If we perform like that we will win more often than we lose…

this above is what you said initially… 

how exactly has your point been missed in comparison to what I have said about xG being a load of crap - particularly in our case, as a team that has lost more games than games where we have actually picked up some points? 

31 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Not every one of them were routine. 

16 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

All very true but some are unhappy when truth gets in the way of their propaganda. 

I'm happy I knew and said what was going to happen on here, way in advance of the game. Lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

That’s not true though. He was in the technical area for 90% of the match, sat back down to speak to the other coaches a couple of times but didn’t sink into his seat like he has done before.

Don’t spoil the narrative (one that was written before the match even started).

• Haha 2

Gerrard should be sacked and we should appoint a quality foreign manager. Look at the top teams in this league, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal. All foreign managers. British managers have been dinosaurs for years and the last decent one was Ferguson a decade ago. With Gerrard we will just stagnate. **** him off now!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Don’t spoil the narrative (one that was written before the match even started).

Easy to write it before the match started because it panned out exactly the way we all knew it would, to be fair. 

The result was very much as predicted but Villa's performance was a lot better than expected.

Like some up and coming team from a lower division Villa created a lot of chances but lacked the class to convert them.

It was all a bit 1971 League Cup final with Harry Kane repising the Martin Chivers role.

Only in 1972 Villa defended a lot better.

Villa weren't bad but they weren't quite good enough.

What has happened to Mings and Konsa? Both have regressed massively since Smith left.

Watkins and Ings need to  practice finishing next week at Bodymoor. Had more than enough chances in the first half to get back into the game. 

Also can Luiz stop on the set pieces as he is largely awful on it.

I should play some of the kids in the next weeks as the season is over. I would like to try out Chambers in midfield or start to play Nakamba again.

I struggle to see the next win really. I don't see us finishing a huge amount above 40 points. Next summer will be a huge rebuild. 

Do we trust Gerrard to do this?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Gerrard should be sacked and we should appoint a quality foreign manager. Look at the top teams in this league, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal. All foreign managers. British managers have been dinosaurs for years and the last decent one was Ferguson a decade ago. With Gerrard we will just stagnate. **** him off now!

Care to suggest who you think this saviour would be ? Given lots of teams have succeeded in appointing loads of shit foreign managers. Interested to see the list and justification for choosing them.

Edited by smg
  • Like 1

Just now, R.Bear said:

Certain Villa fans will never like what they're seeing. A few defeats and its manager out. That strategy has worked so well for us in the past...

I liked what I was seeing in the first half today. He inherited someone else's team and has had one (January) window to sign what he could. Whether you think he deserves more time is your opinion. I think he absolutely does.

Or we sack him, bring someone else in, start next season with 4 points from 6 games and the same fans who called for him to be sacked will be demanding the new manager to be sacked and we waste another season or worse.

First half we were excellent (aside from the mistake that led to the goal). Second half was a disaster. If we had Kane and Son instead of Watkins and Ings, we’d have been 4-1 up at half time, that’s the difference.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

First half we were excellent (aside from the mistake that led to the goal). Second half was a disaster. If we had Kane and Son instead of Watkins and Ings, we’d have been 4-1 up at half time, that’s the difference.

Are you sure anything AT ALL was good?

Based on my reading, it was an absolute disaster from start to finish.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bojong said:

I understand most of the criticism and agree with a lot of it, but if you have a chance to sign Coutinho you should do it. No matter what circumstances. 

Coutinho has almost single handedley won us a couple of games at his best.

He also created a bucketload of chances for people today which they failed to finish.

So I'd ignore some of the hyperbole.

People are just angry.

The same people I've seen saying " we didn't need him " were probably some of the same ones incessantly slating Buendia and proclaiming him a waste of space and 40 mill as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

What has happened to Mings and Konsa? Both have regressed massively since Smith left.

They weren’t that great when Smith was here for first part of the season either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Can we also acknowledge Juve fans are morons when it comes to rating their own players? Bentancur and Kulusevski were shit to them. Seem to be more than fine for Totty

Imagine those two in our team, would be challenging Wolves so simply have to attempt to get in players of that standard in the summer.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I think this is the biggest issue to be fair.

Game would have been over if we took our chances in the first half.

TBF many were long range shots, certainly Coutinho FK and McGinn one from 25 yards wouldn't figure much on the xG metric for those who care about it. Possibly Ramsey should've scored given it was close range but though it was just a top reaction save.

Ollie also had a chance from similar position to what Kuluveski did but went near post IIRC. Header wasn't great.

Main culprit however was Ings. Mentioned the chance from the chipped free kick which he made a complete mess of (could've just continued to stand up and actually control the ball given how close he was) but the second was really poor. Considering his goal record at Southampton I just can't believe how many presentable chances he's given up this season because he can't sort his feet out in time from crosses or decent moves.

Everyone keeps talking about Kane and Son. 

When did Spuds sign Kane's son? He must only be about six and he's already scoring against Villa. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

TBF many were long range shots, certainly Coutinho FK and McGinn one from 25 yards wouldn't figure much on the xG metric for those who care about it. Possibly Ramsey should've scored given it was close range but though it was just a top reaction save.

Ollie also had a chance from similar position to what Kuluveski did but went near post IIRC. Header wasn't great.

Main culprit however was Ings. Mentioned the chance from the chipped free kick which he made a complete mess of (could've just continued to stand up and actually control the ball given how close he was) but the second was really poor. Considering his goal record at Southampton I just can't believe how many presentable chances he's given up this season because he can't sort his feet out in time from crosses or decent moves.

Don't forget Hugo Lloris had one of his best games of the season too.

• Like 1

That was my first game for several years due to the pandemic and living miles away. 

Let's face facts, the scoreline doesn't lie and we were beaten by a better, more tactically prepared team. 

Saying that, Spurzz have Lloris to thank for keeping them in the game first half. 

The second half, spurs got it tactically spot on and soaked up our pressure and countered well and clinically. Their transition from defence to attack was quick and impressive. 

We tried hard but the lack of quality in the vital areas proved costly. 

The positives were Coutinho, Luiz and Buendia. 

Sadly, Konsa and McGinn both had stinkers and need dropping for Chambers and Sanson. I'd also bring Buendia back instead of either Ings or Watkins (probably the latter)

As for being back inside Villa Park, it was great to see it at almost capacity but disappointing to fans leave around the 60 minutes mark... Also forgot how negative our fans are. Bloke behind me was giving a scathing commentary from the first whistle, despite us playing well. 

• Like 4

Â