Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

16 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

So frustrating. Really dislike the phrase 'learning on the job' but that really does seem like the case here. Still 50/50 on SG. Not sure I can remember such a strong Villa bench; seemed obvious to everyone that they should have been used today. Two up front away against a dominant West Ham team is also questionable.

Poor management. Again.

But the bench was used?

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Moyes is a far better manager than Gerrard 

Right now he probably is. Still wouldn’t want him as my manager. He’s a better version of Bruce. Effective but dour!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But the bench was used?

Do you mean the bench was used reactively? Then I'd agree. But I'd like to see the squad at our disposal used proactively instead of playing the same team/system home and away regardless of the opposition.

We lost an away game to a team that are top six and have scored in every home game this season. It was a tight game and we could have got something from it. Of course the performance wasn’t perfect and I’m sure the coaches will identify plenty of errors when they do the debrief. However nothing to be disheartened about today. What I’d like to see is that losing a game doesn’t turn into a losing streak. Arsenal followed by Wolves I believe, so neither will be easy but it’s important that we get a positive reaction that in some way regains some momentum. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's probably a bit generous to West Ham - if they'd lost today they'd have gone seventh with us six points off them - I'd have quite fancied us to make that up over the remains of the season. I don't think there's a gulf between the sides, I think it was two pretty well matched clubs - they got the run of the ball and showed some good defensive organisation today, but I think we're about on a par with them in general.

Our record is pretty rubbish v them generally though over the last decade.

Never feel we match up that well as they handled Ings and Watkins with ease and Rice and Soucek were comfortable v our CMs who've suddenly hit a bit of form.

I never feel that confident playing them compared to say Brighton who have lots of good players but we tend to nulify them quite well and only lost 1 out of six since we came back up. No wins in last six v West Ham but generally our record in London is pretty poor in recent times.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Bit frustrated to lose this game tbh especially after Antonio went off. Game probably sums up why they are challenging in the top 6 and we are realistically not going to finish any higher than 9th. 

Before the game I was hoping for a couple of changes since played Thursday and thought a couple could do with a rest so was a bit surprised he went with the same team. We’ve got plenty of depth in attackers so would be nice if we rotated them based on what game we have rather than sticking with the same just because it has worked the past 3 games, won’t be long before teams do start to figure us out. 

Game itself was a poor game, too stop-start but they just managed to produce couple of moments of quality. Thought the first half was ok but the second half was poor and felt pretty much like our attack was “give it to Coutinho and hope he does something” which was what we had done with Grealish in recent years. 

Not going to challenge for Europe and not going to go down so don’t feel too annoyed with the loss but would be nice if could improve our record against the top 8 this season even if it means just turning the losses into some draws. Hopefully can bounce back against Arsenal next weekend and we rotate a bit. 

• Like 2

You can't win 'em all. Today was one of those days. West Ham are a well organised and hard team. They're above us for a reason. Hopefully we'll improve and pass WHU in the next year or two.

Perhaps could have done with fresher legs today but can also understand why Gerrard kept the same team

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably should have rotated one or two players from the off but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I thought that prior to the game. Starting the same 11 just under 3 days since the last game when we don’t need to given our bench seemed a mistake to me but I haven’t seen the game so I can’t comment on performance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's probably a bit generous to West Ham - if they'd lost today they'd have gone seventh with us six points off them - I'd have quite fancied us to make that up over the remains of the season. I don't think there's a gulf between the sides, I think it was two pretty well matched clubs - they got the run of the ball and showed some good defensive organisation today, but I think we're about on a par with them in general.

Not for me, sorry!  We match in a lot of departments but we lack that strength, out muscle when needed, we lack that quality in midfield of a Declan Rice and they feel like they have more experience of grinding out a result.  This is not based on this game but generally, they are a step higher than us and where I hope we are next season and I certainly don’t think as a team we are on par with them yet.

• Like 3

Â