Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

So frustrating. Really dislike the phrase 'learning on the job' but that really does seem like the case here. Still 50/50 on SG. Not sure I can remember such a strong Villa bench; seemed obvious to everyone that they should have been used today. Two up front away against a dominant West Ham team is also questionable.

Poor management. Again.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

When you've watched the Wimbledon team of the eighties, there's no way you would consider that West Ham team "anti _ football".

Yes but we’ve come on 40 years since then.

Thought we played quite well, but we always struggle against big physical teams. They are very well organised as all Moyes teams are. We played football and they did their Moyes thing. Could have gone either way, but got no complaints. Massive gaping hole at the back for their 2nd goal after Dougie went off, so could blame SG for that I guess, but otherwise, just one of those 🤷🏻‍♂️

Voted Ramsey MoM. He just seems to be getting better and better. Buendia and Bailey both looked lively and useful after coming on, so I'll count that as a positive too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep sums it up for me.  There is a reason they are challenging for Europe and we are challenging for midtable.  It’s just where we are in our journey.  If we play at the same level they are the better team and that showed today.

West Hams journey is likely to return to midtable soon though. Not an impressive team overall imo and Rice will leave this summer.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

We won 60% of our tackles , Fabianski made 7 saves ,  we should have done done better yes, but there honestly wasn’t that much between us.

Progression through midfield. 

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Desperately need depth at left back. Young as much as i like him offers zero.

Thought watkins was anonymous once more.

Yeah I'm not sure what happened to Young for the second goal, he had barely made it back into our own half when it fell to Lanzini.  

13 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Am I the only one that thought West Ham had a player in an offside position blocking Emi's view for their first? It would have been a pretty big call I guess in the circumstances. 

Was a very close game and but for Fabianski palming that shot into the post it could have been a very different result. 

Some encouraging cameos from Bailey and Buendia. 

Bit more rotation of the squad needed I think and I suspect we might see Konsa back next match. 

I thought the same for the first, player looked offside and swerved to avoid the ball right infront of Emi, one of those where if your top six you probably get the decision, certainly I'd like to see it again. No real complaints about the result but close games can be decided on those kinds of decisions

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo

Trying not to be too critical, especially after recent performances, but those were some really strange substitutions. Luiz should have been off earlier. He was absent all second half, not surprisingly after being kicked in the face. When he did come off we bought on Buendia. Who was supposed to be covering the middle, which was evident for the second goal?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes but we’ve come on 40 years since then.

But it's not like West Ham were playing hit and hope, they actually passed the ball to feet. I just think anti - football was a bit of an exaggeration.  It's not like we were any better, tbf. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Imagine watching that style of football week of n week out in that soulless shithole of a football ground. 

Haha my thoughts exactly! I want to be entertained, winning comes a distant second every time.

Probably should have rotated one or two players from the off but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hopefully the Digne injury is just a tweak and he only ends up missing the game against Arsenal.

That limited our substitutions for later in the game but i thought we could have freshened things up a bit earlier and I’m not sure I’d have brought Bailey on.

• Like 1

We need to score first in games like this. We just dont match up well against this WH side, they have been very good for 2 years now whereas we are yet again transitioning. Next sesson we’ll be a better side. Im just glad we got those 3 results when we did because we bloody needed them with the run we got coming up. 

• Like 3

Â