Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

Just now, Xela said:

Outdone by a team a bit more experienced, hard nosed and canny than us. Thats why they're above us in the league. 

We're not a million miles behind though. 

Great minds think alike, I just posted basically the same thing

• Like 1

I thought Villa were ok but again we didn't do enough to score more...

In hindsight perhaps changing a couple of players might have made a difference but we will never know.

Be interesting to see what he does next game.

Sanson deserves a start and perhaps too Konsa.

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Interestingly there’s been a few more blatant ones in this Arsenal Leicester game also going unpunished. Have refs been told to let this go a bit?

Edited by Spoony

37 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

But it's not like West Ham were playing hit and hope, they actually passed the ball to feet. I just think anti - football was a bit of an exaggeration.  It's not like we were any better, tbf. 

I thought they played a bit like how we used to play under Martin O’Neill. Quite physical, counter-attacking play. 

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Interestingly there’s been a few more blatant ones in this Arsenal Leicester game also going unpunished. Have refs been told to let this go a bit?

I think that refs have generally been more laissez-faire this year, league wide.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I thought Villa were ok but again we didn't do enough to score more...

In hindsight perhaps changing a couple of players might have made a difference but we will never know.

Be interesting to see what he does next game.

Sanson deserves a start and perhaps too Konsa.

Sanson in place of JJ would've seen us lose 2-0. I called for Sanson to start, but in reality he'd not had changed anything. WH were too strong, which we couldn't answer, especially in the second half. 

• Like 1

I thought Villa looked tentative today, paid them a bit too much respect.

Ramsey MOTM for me, lots of energy, driving with the ball and confident too.

In hindsight I think a couple of changes (including Sanson) may have worked in our favour yet I can see why he kept the same team.

West Ham are the model of the sort of robust and resilient team, which you probably need to challenge the top teams.

Even the goalkeeper seemed to be intent on getting his revenge in first: body-checking attacking players and leading with his leg out, to discourage aerial challenges.

Villa were excellent and were well worth a point, but didn't create enough.

West Ham are a good team but are dull to watch.

I know its hard to change a winning team but for yhe first time in ages we had some genuine quality in the squad who deserve to play and we played 3 days ago.   Think we have to trust yhe likes of Biendia, Bailey and Sanson now to rotate with the first 11.  They've proved they're good enough.  ings looked out on his feet 2nd half.  Watkins was off the pace and Coutinho looked slightly jaded.  West Ham defended really well as a unit and we needed to up the energy and pace to break the. Down which is what Bailey and Buendia did when they came on.  but luiz going off was a mistake.  left us too open to the counter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Tired, disjointed performance.

Should have freshened up the starting eleven. Buendia and Sanson in for Ings and McGinn.. The subs should have been made earlier.

Bailey looked decent this time.

Martinez MOM.

Digne getting injured in the 9th minute was probably why they waited a bit with the other subs.

Love how Ramsey gets most votes because of goal, but for me he was not in the game today and I would have taken him off.  I totally understand the don’t change a winning team thin, but it’s a myth (otherwise we would have more invicibles!!) - fatigue and opposition dictate changes in personnel in addition to injury’s/suspensions.  We are too predictable and easy to counter.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Some people just cannot be pleased. They need to remove the head from their ass, let's blame the manager,, the grass, sunspots... but truth told West ham are better than us. They are in Europe, looking like they will qualify again this season. We are a mid table team at the moment. 

Our time will come! 

West Ham didn't have Bowen, Cresswell, Antonio and a fully fit Rice. I don't think it was harsh to think we should have got something out of this one. Heaven knows what the score would have been if they had a fully fit squad.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

We all know this has been a disappointing season even if the last 3 games brought some light and hope for us all, but 14 defeats from 28 games really is embarrassing. 

This team is so God damn easy to beat, I don't understand why we're so incapable of grinding out draws when we're not having a good day like today. 5 or 6 draws from those 14 games we've lost would have put us in a strong position with 10 games left to go and not left such a sour taste in the mouth from having to watch us lose every other week.

West Ham always beat us, really can't stand them. They're certainly quite a dirty team and it would be nice to give them a good hiding next season as it's long overdue. 

You can see how important Rice is for them sitting in front of their defence. Their back five today looked weaker than ours, but they have Rice and Soucek sitting in front of them whereas we have Luiz. It really doesn't take a rocket science to understand why they always get the better of us and we need to bloody fix that area of the field in summer as it's needed if we're to start winning these types of games.

It doesn't bode well that our first relatively tough game ends in defeat, given we now have a run of these types of games in the next 5. We really need to take something from Arsenal next week. 

• Like 2

Â