Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

Game was like a pre season friendly for the first half. Felt nailed on to be a 0-0 but I guess what added to the exhibition feeling to the game was the fact their stadium is utterly soulless. Architecturally beautiful but far from being a football ground. Devoid of any charm or character for an away fixture. 

We went back to being soft and open. Didn’t control the midfield atall and didn’t play with any real plan, intent, energy or urgency. That let a very mundane West Ham team get the better of us. Felt very avoidable but we didn’t offer anything so got as much as we deserved. 

All felt like we were riding the highs of the last three wins so treated this like a free hit. Needed some fresh legs and energy from Buendia and Sanson. We looked fatigued. Poor by Gerrard today. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh and watkins was so poor today.

He has to work his defenders, he stands off too much.....Antonio in contrast, lets you know you've been in a game.

I know Ollie is not Antonio, but he has to be harder to handle, when he's not scoring.

• Like 1

I get why you'd not change a winning team, too passive in the second half and we always struggle against such physical teams. There's a reason why they are chasing Europe, a very well organised team with quality up top. Just one of those frustrating days, where we needed more but didn't get it. Been a great run of form, but I don't think it's going to be a disaster moving forward. Bailey and Buendia proving again we've got options.

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I knew we’d be the team to provide the heart warming fairytale moment.  The second Yarmolenko came on you just knew it.

He always does well against us......don't know why he doesn't get more minutes.

Having said that, he has to be shut down, far too much time and space to place a shot.

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Too passive in the in second half. We deserved to lose.

I wouldn't say we deserved to lose....but the 2 goals was gifts.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has to work his defenders, he stands off too much.....Antonio in contrast, lets you know you've been in a game.

I know Ollie is not Antonio, but he has to be harder to handle, when he's not scoring.

So you're basically saying we should recall Keinan Davis and start him over Watkins.

John McGinn: Another performance full of energy from McGinn who kept making lung-busting runs to get on the end of crosses into the box. McGinn was immaculate on the ball as well here. He also filled in for a spell at centre-back as Chambers had treatment - and won a header to boot. McGinn's pass to Bailey was gobbled up by Rice who powered forwards before Fornals scored the hosts' second. 6 Taken from Birmingham Live

Did anyone else think McGinn was immaculate on the ball? And yes he played a pass to Bailey that Bailey was only 50 / 50 to be able to received, and had the cheek to say Bailey should've been stronger when he is 5'9 and under 70kg, compared to 6'2 and 85kg Rice! Also tell me about all the times McGinn got on the end of crosses in the box?

McGinn must be offering free BJ's or something for his press to be this good. Thought he was the poorest of our midfield and defense today. Watkins was worse, but that was more to do with him having very little to work with.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we are honest, a few weeks ago, we probably get smacked 5 or 6 nil against these, based on the form we were in.

As in the match thread, as shite as it is to admit, they are simply a better team and more effective team than us right now.

These are the games where a couple of brutes come in handy.

One positive for me, is that Leon looks sharper, and like he was growing in confidence as the game went on.

Oh, and Ramsey is in my FPL.

Dissappointing, but not unexpected . We gave a good account of ourselves for most of it, but the same little things let us down, fine margins.

We still have work to do, and need players.

The most redeeming factor for me Shaun.....The Gaffer saw it, and remarked on it.....its been with us for some time....I believe it will be worked on.

Rice is a cut above, and we have nothing that resembles him in our squad.....I hope it gets fixed in the summer.

but you are right, we made a better fist of it, despite our shortfall in Stature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Good periods in the first half and finished the game well. I think we will see two 10s behind Watkins in the next game. Buendia was brilliant and for me MOTM. Fabinaski made two top saves (Emi made a world class one too). So we created against a very negative West Ham team. 

Final thought thank **** Moyes isn't our manager, he's anti-football at it finest. 

I disagree with that....Moyes is not anti- football at all.....he appreciates both sides of the game and knows how to win.

You've seen first hand what gungho football does, ask Leeds.

West Ham maybe frustrating, but they " work you".....something we will learn to do.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Gerrard too rigid in his selection and substitutions. 

That said, I thought it was an encouraging first half.

Flat second half when the game was winnable.

The Europe fantasy can be put to bed. We are not nearly that level. 

We have to be better at keeping the ball to have lofty ambitions.

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Very negative today, seems our tactics were pass it backwards all the time unless Phil is there and no matter what pass it to Phil no matter who is in a better position.

Or

Get it towards their area, pass it to Phil with no space or room and expect something to happen.

Our midfield was not good today it had little shape meaning cash was over ran most of the game. Nothing down our left bar a few young crosses because Ramsey was not holding his position for the ball down the line.

We needed energy, that was clear before the match and at half time but nothing was done to change anything.

Very poor all round I'm afraid. 

Need to swap the midfield around slightly for next game .

I don't think we have the profile or stature in the ranks to make much change.

hypothetically, if Rice was playing for us.....we would have won that.

We are relying on Phil, like we relied on Jack.

I don't blame the manager, we simply haven't got the profile of players to change things.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree with that....Moyes is not anti- football at all.....he appreciates both sides of the game and knows how to win.

You've seen first hand what gungho football does, ask Leeds.

West Ham maybe frustrating, but they " work you".....something we will learn to do.

Moyes has done well at West Ham like he did at Everton but his style of play will not take them into the top 4. Its limited. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villanmac said:

Imagine watching that style of football week of n week out in that soulless shithole of a football ground. 

The jimmy White fans used to say that about Steve Davis, when he was picking up all the trophies, in snooker.

You have to ask yourself what you want....because out and out attacking football, with not appreciation to defend, can be be frustrating too, when you lose, ask the Leeds fans.

2 teams today had mutual respect for each other, until one decide to give the other time and space on 2 poor goals....(from our point of view)

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Moyes has done well at West Ham like he did at Everton but his style of play will not take them into the top 4. Its limited. 

Paul...he needs better players to do that, not different style.....The style is borne out of the profile of his playing staff.

He has found a way to do the best he can, with what he's got.

Just now, TRO said:

Paul...he needs better players to do that, not different style.....The style is borne out of the profile of his playing staff.

He has found a way to do the best he can, with what he's got.

Thats true to an extent but hes been found wanting at times in his career. Although we are behind them now I have more faith in Gerrard taking us to that level. 

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Our midfield was played through all game, I don't recall a single time we broke up a West Ham attack in midfield.

This team is, and was, crying out for a defensive midfielder. Instead we have above average attackers to beat the band. 

A worn out record.....Its been the case for so long.

I think just about everyone and his grand mother know this, by now.

The manager himself picked up on it today.

We can't change it, until the summer, fingers crossed we do.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yep sums it up for me.  There is a reason they are challenging for Europe and we are challenging for midtable.  It’s just where we are in our journey.  If we play at the same level they are the better team and that showed today.

Thats right Nick.....but it depends on what folk pick up on as the distinction between the 2 teams.

We didn't do what did against Southampton and Leeds, because we wasn't allowed to.

It kills me to say it....but that's to West Hams credit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

So frustrating. Really dislike the phrase 'learning on the job' but that really does seem like the case here. Still 50/50 on SG. Not sure I can remember such a strong Villa bench; seemed obvious to everyone that they should have been used today. Two up front away against a dominant West Ham team is also questionable.

Poor management. Again.

We have been watching this Villa team for so long now......we know the likelyhood of that result today, against teams with dominant midfield personnel.

SG has to see it for himself, how Rice and Soucek dominated our midfield....you cannot just change that without surgery.

He knows now, but we have to put up with it until the summer....and hope we can get in the right type of players to help us with it.

Â