Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Each game seems to be a contender for the worst refereeing performance of the season and today is no different. He allowed the four thugs (Zouma, Dawson, Rice and Souchek) away with any thing they felt like doing. 

If Dawson smashes Chambers in the face with his forearm while both are stationary, it’s an instant red card. Yet – somehow – if he takes a 5-yard run-up then does exactly the same with added momentum... it’s not even a foul?!? Premier League officiating at its finest.

The fact this latest muppet failed to even give Rice a yellow for VERY obviously giving Coutinho what Vinnie Jones used to call a “reducer” right in front of him... (and seemingly had to be told by a lino that it was even a free-kick)... told me all I needed to know about him. Villa, yet again, assigned a referee wildly out of his depth. 

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

4 games ago it was all doom and gloom, now a few wins on the bounce, and some lunatics were convinced we could qualify for Europe and are angry about a loss to a team way ahead of us in the table. Get some perspective fellas.

I can accept the loss today, but as I have said that team without, Bowen, Cresswell, Antonio and a fully fit Rice is not really way ahead of us. First half we was about matched, West Ham take 2 first teamers off and in the second half I thought it was down to concentration more than anything.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nothing wrong with wanting to do a little better sometimes. The owners have already shown their ruthless side as many on here were happy to give DS until Feb/March to sort things out, Wes and Nas weren't.

9th is fine for me this season but next season I don't want to be double figures off likes of West Ham and Wolves otherwise you wonder what's the point of spending 100m + when those two aren't always during pre seasons.

I doubt any of us enjoy losing but that’s sport. Today was a very close game and the first goal was always going to be massive. We nearly got it but it wasn’t to be. It’s the binary attitude of a small minority of fans that is so hard to accept. Every time we lose, Gerrard is a rookie manager who doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s ridiculous.

• Like 2

I think SG is right in his comments......" We need more profile, Stature"

its been in evidence for such a long time, and against teams like this, its highlighted.

The summer should be an opportunity to strengthen in the right area's to give us more power and strength.

Under the circumstances, we did very well, 6 months ago it would have been 4-1.

• Like 3

SG was right to mention stature, but there aren't many teams to match west ham size wise. Bit disappointed we got pushed back so much but if ings scores we go on to win that game. We've closed the gap cos they smashed us at villa park. Not that much in it today for me.

• Like 2

Defense defended well for the most part, but were guilty of poor clearances and hoofing when there was time to find a pass. As a result got penned back for the entire second half until they scored, and the first 25 minutes of the first half.

Chambers defending was rather suspect.

Mings was solid.

Young was poor.

Cash was decent.

Luiz was given a torrid time by Lanzini in the second half. Constantly outmuscled by Rice and Soucek.

McGinn was awful today, outmuscled by a midfield duo twice hs size, constantly making poor decisions, and hoofing when he was in acres of space.

Ramsey seemed to be the only midfielder looking to play, but lacked support and it didn't quite come off for him at times.

Coutinho tried to make things happenned, but never given the space to hurt them.

Ings worked hard but lacked the skill and creativity to really open them up.

Watkins was muted by 6 men always behind to ball, little support, and then either poor touches or not being on the same wavelenght as his teammates. Not his day.

Today was the day for two tens (or even thre 10's), and a rest for Mcginn. Gerrard fumbled the ball here a little (easy to say in hindsight).

Ref was poor, thought Bailey was fouled for the turnover that led to their second goal. Refs seem to be giving us a hard time.

We need technically better footballers, that make better decisions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Love how Ramsey gets most votes because of goal, but for me he was not in the game today and I would have taken him off.  I totally understand the don’t change a winning team thin, but it’s a myth (otherwise we would have more invicibles!!) - fatigue and opposition dictate changes in personnel in addition to injury’s/suspensions.  We are too predictable and easy to counter.

I thought Ramsey played well and would have voted for him without the goal. Agree with the need to rotate, but felt JJ looked fresh as a daisy and would have been well down the list to be rotated for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Defense defended well for the most part, but were guilty of poor clearances and hoofing when there was time to find a pass. As a result got penned back for the entire second half until they scored, and the first 25 minutes of the first half.

Mings was solid.

Young was poor.

Cash was decent.

Luiz was given a torrid time by Lanzini in the second half. Constantly outmuscled by Rice and Soucek.

McGinn was awful today, outmuscled by a midfield duo twice hs size, constantly making poor decisions, and hoofing when he was in acres of space.

Ramsey seemed to be the only midfielder looking to play, but lacked support and it didn't quite come off for him at times.

Coutinho tried to make things happenned, but never given the space to hurt them.

Watkins was muted by 6 men always behind to ball, little support, and then either poor touches or not being on the same wavelenght as his teammates. Not his day.

Today was the day for two tens (or even thre 10's), and a rest for Mcginn. Gerrard fumbled the ball here a little (easy to say in hindsight).

Ref was poor, thought Bailey was fouled for the turnover that led to their second goal. Refs seem to be giving us a hard time.

Rice and Soucek was always going to be a challenge for us......it needs to be fixed in the summer.

Their 2 goal scorers had too much time and space to themselves......should have been shut down.....2 more avoidable goals conceded.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Mings was solid.

Young was poor.

Cash was decent.

I would need to see it again, but we seem lightweight at times, with these situations.

The same a setpieces teams like West Ham and Burnley are equipped to out muscle us.......even Brentford have joined that duo.

We are not quite good enough to keep footballing our way out and SG is right....we need better profile and Stature in the squad.

These type of teams are past masters, at grinding you down.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Rice and Soucek was always going to be a challenge for us......it needs to be fixed in the summer.

Their 2 goal scorers had too much time and space to themselves......should have been shut down.....2 more avoidable goals conceded.

The second goal we had taken off our DM and trying to find an equaliser, so somethin like that was always a possibility. The first however was poor and we had defended so well until then.

Rice and Soucek are a problem because we made poor decisions and didn''t move the ball well enough. When you are obvisouly going to be outmuscled, you need to control possession and make those big guys have to constantly change direction, we didn't to either enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

The second goal we had taken off our DM and trying to find an equaliser, so somethin like that was always a possibility. The first however was poor and we had defended so well until then.

Rice and Soucek are a problem because we made poor decisions and didn''t move the ball well enough. When you are obvisouly going to be outmuscled, you need to control possession and make those big guys have to constantly change direction, we didn't to either enough.

I agree.

but sometimes, when your technical ability, is having a day off....your presence has to kick in.....its called grinding out results....West Ham do it well.

We had a few balls taken off us.....but to be fair, it was a much better offering than at home.

e.g. Phil wasn't great today and he is world class.

we have too few players, with profile and stature.

• Like 1

This game was useful....SG seen it for himself today and commented on it.

Many of us on here, have known our warts'n all for some time....SG is still learning about them.

That game will bode well for the summer strengthening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Rubbish. But we had a game like this coming unfortunately and it’s a tough place to go. Fans will moan about no changes but you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I don’t think it would have made any difference what team we selected. This loss has been the least disappointing of the season due to recent form. Next.

Well put.

This was a game, where it highlights where we need to strengthen in the summer......SG made some good observations, post match.

This result was always likely against this type of opposition.....Burnley will be similar, but they are not as good as West Ham.

However, there was a lot of positives too.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Always disappointing to lose to Wimbledon , but we didn’t really threaten enough going forward to deserve anything today.

Defence stood quite firm until the goal and the second one was more as a result of trying to chase the game , shame we didn’t attack them until it was too late 

we will do better next week v Arsenal as they play football and we seem better suited to teams that try to play 

fair play to Moyes , it works for them , but I remember for years all my West Ham mates going on about “ the West Ham way “ .. they seem to have embrace the Moyes way instead now … 

bully for them.

Teams who can score and defend in equal measures are to be admired.....The old west Ham way, didn't achieve much, despite having some great players at times.

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think Sanson had to play with his energy and invention from midfield. It was a close game but they were better in the bigger moments. Fabianski made some big saves.

I thought Emi made a worldie.

Â